PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi folks, I have here another pipe that came in a batch from Ebay recently. It is clearly a Barling stem but am unsure regards the pipe itself as it has no stampings whatsoever. The fitting is a faux military stem and the whole just looks out of proportion to me....huge bowl....skinny stem. The entire pipe is ~ 16.5 cm end to end and the bowl takes a good wedge of tobacco.
As can be seen below the stem has the crossed Barling emblem but nothing else. First question is do I have a true Barling pipe here and secondly if I do does it have a model number as I would like to date the thing.
For what it's worth, what it lacks in looks it more than makes up for in smoking quality, it really is rather good, I just have to close my eyes while smoking it :?
Regards,
Jay.
img_0001-25-600x399.jpg

img_0002-24-600x399.jpg

img_0003-22-600x399.jpg

img_0005-24-600x399.jpg

img_0006-24-600x399.jpg

I am no help for you on the make of the pipe. I would recommend just sending a TM to sablebrush. Not because he can answer the questions, but I just want to giggle as his mailbox fills up, ha ha. No, he would be our expert on that. :puffy:
But, that's a nice pipe, and sounds like you have a winner. Do you collect these for yourself, or are you thinking of passing them along on ebay?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've never seen receiver style stem like that on a Barlings. With no stamping, I'd say that it would be impossible to date the pipe. It's very interesting, particularly that stem fitment, a Prince/Pot style.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dave, it's briar though does resemble meer.
Michael, I only buy on Ebay, though this pipe will not be a keeper so I must find another outlet for this (and many other refurbed pipes that don't take my fancy).
Interesting comment Al, hopefully the resident Barling buffs might be able to offer some insight.
Regards,
Jay.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Dave, it's briar though does resemble meer.
The reason I asked was because of the uniform regularity of the finish on the pipe, and the white I'm seeing at the bottom of the tobacco chamber. You have it in hand...but Barling's did sell meer pipes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Dave, you had me thinking so I just inspected it under the microscope and am certain it is briar. On the clear patches of the rustication I can clearly see grain.
As for the 'white' at the bottom of the bowl, that is bare (unburnt) briar...I can even see the swirls made by the original drilling!
Regards,
Jay.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
While we await sables opinion, I will say it looks a lot like African meer. I have a Barlings African meer. It's a Barling labeled pipe, but made by the Laxey Co. on the Isle of Man.
Also see this thread.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/barling-block-meerschaum

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I tried to scratch the bottom of the bowl with a darning needle but nothing. If it was indeed meerschaum surely it would have scratched.
Am positive it is briar.
Regards,
Jay.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
That's a mystery to me. It looks identical to many of those newer, post-transition Barling's Meer's that I've sold over the years. They use crushed, rather than block meerschaum and the bowls are usually not stamped, just the Barling's White Cross logo on the stem.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
That's a mystery to me. It looks identical to many of those newer, post-transition Barling's Meer's that I've sold over the years. They use crushed, rather than block meerschaum and the bowls are usually not stamped, just the Barling's White Cross logo on the stem.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Jay, try and get the inside of the tobacco chamber wet, see if it feels soapy...?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think it's meer, too, and probably a Kiko meer which is from Tanganyika.

They have nice stems. Other than shape, what identifies your stem as Barling? Maybe that one picturte shows the 'cross' they had?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well Pipestud, I tried scratching it with a needle, can you suggest another method of testing it please? And no, not one that involves using a hammer - Jay
LOL!
Well, a hammer would certainly solve the mystery fast. :wink:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
You can always test it by tossing it into the sea,if it floats it's a meer, if it sinks to the bottom it was a briar.

Your welcome.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It is most certainly briar!
OldBrush . "Other than shape, what identifies your stem as Barling?" Put your glasses on and look at pic 4.
Who is the resident Barling buff here, would it be Sablebrush?
Regards and thanks chaps,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Bill, the heel of the bowl is not actually white, it's more a pale brown. I've just given the whole stummel a good scrub with oil soap and have also sanded the inner bowl. It appears to be a very lightly smoked pipe as the bare briar (and yes it IS briar) looks very clean indeed.
Also I see no evidence of a join twixt a (non existant) meer bowl and briar outer.
I shall take a few more pictures later in the day.
Regards,
Jay.
PS: Might somebody be kind enough to give Jesse/Sablebrush a nudge for me please? I would really appreciate his thoughts on the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.