Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I only have 45-50 pipes. Yet, realize that there is just 1 more itch I need to scratch eventually because it just won't seem to go away: to get a hold of a Peterson XL23. Then I don't anticipate buying another pipe again. I just don't feel the desire to do so after that 1. Anybody else at the point where they can say enough is (just about) enough?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
While you have many more pies than I have, I have eaten 45-50+ pies in my life, and I believe that I can safely say that I will never reach a point where I don't want more pie.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Absolutely. I’m sitting at about 35 pipes and the only things I’m looking to add are possibly a couple of cobs.

Over the years I bought what pleases me and I’m very content with my so called collection.

In the other hand, tobacco purchases are front and center.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I quit counting when I hit 150. It never ends no matter how much you want it to.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I have said “I’m done and satisfied now!” probably five or six times, after obtaining one of my must-have pipes. Every time I said it, I was being perfectly honest with myself. The funny thing is, a week or two later, ANOTHER must-have crawl up onto the scene from the depths of Pipe-lust Hell, and I’m back on the hunt.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you're serious about quitting buying pipes, you have to get off the forums, because all the guys who've bought pipes want to tell you about what they bought and sing its praises. They want to hear your praise and that you feel that it will be "a good smoker," even though it is the most trite phrase in pipery. They want to hear this so that they can justify having spent yet more money they didn't need to spend on an object they don't need to have. All of this keeps the desire to buy pipes going, especially the pictures, which we badger people to supply.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The itch often occurs one pipe at a time, but it rarely ends abruptly. There's more than a little compulsion in it. Having a number of a certain shape or finish often doesn't suffice. Hopefully, you will get a few more, or a dozen more, than you "need," and then buy only selectively every year or two. That's an optimistic narrative. Pipes at some price level are reachable for many of us and we often hear the siren song. Get your balance, get some control, and don't spend the rent.

Mar 1, 2014
I’m down to about 1 pipe per year.

I doubt anyone is ever truly “done” until they’re physically incapable of smoking a pipe (which I say includes whenever someone has to quit for good because of their health).
At this point it’s hard to find a pipe that is appealing but not redundant, but if anyone looks hard enough you will inevitably find something. Thankfully we’re not at the point yet where high quality pipes are excessively difficult to get ahold of.

Ironically, we’re still relatively just at the start of the online distribution era at the same time as prohibition is reaching its peak. The next 10 years will probably be the best time ever to gather a collection of “Tobacco Pipes” while the restrictions on Tobacco grow tighter and tighter.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I'm north of 200, discounting cobs. Well except for the Missouri Meer Reverse Calabash. I count that. Anyway, despite doing 75% of my smoking in cobs due to my smoking taking place on the fly, I can state that the desire to get more briars (or mortas, or meers, etc) never wanes.
I agree that limiting time on the forums help keep the itch to a minimum.
Good luck!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Forums do fan the flame a bit, but fortunately I'm becoming immune to it. :P It's a good thing that my pipe buying desire is smoldering down to an end, (dang that 1 last pipe anyway), since my disposable income will be taking a major hit in 9 mos to 1 1/2 years due to retirement. At that point I'll be pleased if I can simply continue to afford the tobacco to put in them.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Mikefu, you're a mess. About like a good blueberry pie. I've eaten *easily* 150 or more pies in my life, & see no sense in slowing down now. Same approach goes for my attitude on PAD. :laughat:

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Hmm, at least for now I have only 3 pipes. Hopes to build up soon. But maybe a 2 week set is enough. So, let say, around 11 more pipes will be bought this year :D

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm to the point that I can usually find an appropriate pipe to suit my needs, so my PAD has become a relative trickle.
I don't see a problem in keeping an eye out for the occasional piece. I want to have a decent rotation (which I feel I have) and have enough in reserve to cover attrition for the rest of my days after the manufacture and distribution of tobacco related items becomes a federal felony.
As mentioned above, I've turned to a 95% TAD 5% PAD mode.
jay-roger.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have a 24 pipe rack full of MM Cobs plus another 10(or so) new in a drawer. I love my cobs I'm set for as long as I have left. Briar,meh,I'm set. Don't smoke briar much. NOW meerschaum,that's my weakness. That's the only pipe I will ever continue to lust after and buy, and I'm selective about that(Cuttys!!!)...

Status
Not open for further replies.