PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Shapes are not absolute. One man's brandy is another's apple, and so forth. I am interested

in the distinction between a Dublin and a horn. Many Dublins are plainly conical, wider at the

brim than the base. I think of a typical Dublin as coming to its base more or less perpendicular

to the brim, whereas a horn tends to sway a bit toward the shank at the bottom of the bowl.

(Some Dublins aren't all that conical, but more blockish in shape, but let's leave them out,

since they don't resemble horns, so cause no confusion.) Is a horn a type of Dublin, or is there

a clear distinction. This is just a fun discussion; shapes can get pretty abstract. But what are

the defining aspects of a horn versus a Dublin, or do they merge?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good point. The two pipes I have that I consider yacht/zulus don't widen much from the

base to the brim of the bowl, slight. And they have a definite cant forward to the bowl.

Whereas a horn can lean a lot or very little; I think the horn idea comes more from the base

of the pipe not being squared up under the brim but kind of swooping back toward the shank.

I think the shape charts show different versions. Sometimes the horn is canted a lot, as if

that's its trait, and other times hardly at all. Also, my "yacht/zulus," as I think of them anyway,

are slim pipes that don't expand a lot from the shank to the brim, whereas Dublins and horns

widen at the brim quite a bit. Maybe all this is just talk, but that's why it is somewhat entertaining

to try to figure it out. Disagree as needed. I'm just puzzling it out.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
For me, a horn has a constant flowing bottom lines from the stem to the rim.
stanwell-zebrano.jpg

phhornsf.jpg

ichornsf.jpg

finn.jpg

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Interesting thread! To me the more controversial subject is, as mentioned above, Dublin vs Zulu. To me, a horn has a distinct and unique shape that is mostly defined by the slope of the base and the width of the bowl and walls. Horns typically have much wider bowls and thicker walls than, say, a Zulu, which is for the most part a more extremely canted Dublin.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
I think a horn can be thinwalled enough to cross into Zulu territory. What would distinguish it for me would be a lack of break between the bowl and shank but rather a continuous flow between the two. With that distinction a zulu, belge, woodsman or yacht bowl could be executed as a horn if the shank was wider and flowed as one continuous shape to the bowl. In fact a horn could have its chamber at a right angle to the shank and still be a horn like the Stanwell I posted above.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The photos posted illustrate a clear distinction to me. I think there are still pipes that would fall in the middle, but

the zulus posted are exactly what I would identify as such, and those horns are the paradigms for that shape.

The zulus have a distinct bowl and a distinct shank, more or less, whereas the horn presents the mentioned flow.

I guess for those zulus to cross into Dublin territory, they would need wider brims and thicker bowls. I would never

insist to someone showing me a zulu and announcing it was a Dublin that they were wrong. Shapes are somewhat

in they eye of the beholder, but it's useful to have some points of reference.
There's some crossover between the Calabash shape and the Dublin, with Dublin's given a domed top at the brim.

Those seem to get labeled either way, if they are briars. A gourd Calabash gets to be just that.
Then there are some pipes that are sharp cross-bred shapes, filling the bill for two shapes. There is some

cross-talk between bulldogs and Rhodesians -- Rhodesian-looking pipes with diamond shanks, etc.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
To me a horn is one continuous piece from the brim to the tip of the stem. It looks like well... a horn. I don't know the Zulu shape well enough to comment on it. Though with the posted pictures I'd likely call those Zulu's dublins.
mso- The bulldogs and rhodesians always throw me off. When I think it's a bulldog its a rhodesian and when it's a rhodesian I think it's a bulldog.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Models or paradigms for the zulu are the Dunhill zulus (Chacom does one very similar to the small Dunhill zulu)

and maybe even more defining, though it came after the Dunhill (I think) is the Savenelli shape 404, also done

in the Rossi line as an 8404. This is such a formal and longstanding shape that it sets the standard.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
What bowl shape does a Zulu or Horn have? I haven't seen either. Isn't a characteristic of a Dublin as "conical" shaped interior bowl? Now, if Zulu's and Horn's both have conical shaped bowls, then feel free to forget I said anything, however if they have say a rectangular shaped bowl similar to a billiard, perhaps that's what would make either such.

Status
Not open for further replies.