PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The wand chooses the wizard, Harry. It's not always clear why.
As some of you know, I'm a big fan of dedicating pipes to specific genres of blends and, in many cases, to a certain, specific blend. I'm astonished by those who share pipes between genres of blends but, hey, to each his own! This is a hobby of personal taste. Regarding a pipe, however, it's my belief that if you smoke a given pipe through enough blends, you'll find that perfect combination. And that's it. Stop. Marry them. Smoke them together, exclusively, in blissful perpetuity.
I purchased an estate pipe a few years ago. I won't mention the reputable vendor, with whom I would gladly do business again, because I don't want anyone to misunderstand this as a crtiticism --- it's not! This was all about personal taste and how one relates to a pipe.
So this pipe is lovely. Not an elite pipe, but certainly among the group of mid-grade pipes that would be recognized as a "good" pipe. I tried this pipe through a number of blends - all VaPers, given the bowl shape and what it was previously used to smoke. I even tried it once, out of desperation, with an English blend. This pipe bit me. Like a rabid dog. And it gurgled. And it needed a pipe cleaner mid-bowl. And it smoked HOT. And did I mention it bit me?
But I would not yield to this pipe. I gave it no quarter.
I continued to suffer through bowl after bowl of various tobaccos. Then, suddenly, for no particular reason, it occured to me to load up a bowl of one of my favorties: McConnell Scottish Cake - a blend I typically reserve for a couple of other pipes, which is probably why I never thought to run it through this one.
And a funny thing happend: I enjoyed a blissful smoke. No bite. No heat. No gurgle. No moisture.
And no science. For whatever reason, this otherwise challenging, ornary, asshole of a pipe decided it loved Scottish Cake. And it smoked just fine. In fact, I would go as far as to say it did the blend justice.
I don't know why it works this way --- this is part of the alchemy of pipe smoking that makes it so attractive to me. And if someone does have "the answer", honestly, I would rather not know. I prefer the alchemy to the science. I would prefer it remain a mystery.
All I know is that it just "worked".
And that, my friends, is a wonderful thing.

May 4, 2015
That happened to me with coin-cuts and a pipe. For whatever reason, Escudo and LBF just stuff right in it and smoke perfectly.
I'm with you though. I'm sure there is a bona fide reason for it - I just don't care much what it is. They are happy together.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I suppose that's how people who ride must feel when finally breaking a horse. Congrats on finding that match! IMHO one pipe=one blend is something that's not attainable with every single pipe, but none the less it's a search worth pursuing. I don't have a large enough rotation to begin retiring jerseys like that, so I just stick to certain categories per pipe. I do have one smooth Comoy's Billiard that I only smoke Capstan Blue with; my reasons for that pairing being less noble or pragmatic. It's not because it is a particularly good combo, it's just that that pipe reminds me of the ones I've seen Tolkien smoking; and in all fan-boyishness I decided to smoke in it what I read he smoked. I'm thinking of venturing at last into a Savinelli 320. There are some English blends that I suspect will smoke like a dream in that shape.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
suppose that's how people who ride must feel when finally breaking a horse.
It's different. You set your mind and fix your will on the horse. There is no element of chance. While I believe in gentle vs cold-backed, it's still a zero sum game.
... it's just that that pipe reminds me of the ones I've seen Tolkien smoking; and in all fan-boyishness ....
Nothing wrong with being a Tolkien fan :)

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Spot on observations. I don't think theres a chance of anyone ruining it all with an answer, I'm certain there isn't one. From a pipe making standpoint, I could make two identical pipes, wood from the same source, aged the same way, drilled the same and they may each behave differently when it comes to a single blend.

Some pipes really sing with certain blends, and there is no rhyme or reason to it sometimes.

But your advice is perfect. When you find the blend a pipe wants to smoke, stop right there and feed it more!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I don't know why it works this way --- this is part of the alchemy of pipe smoking that makes it so attractive to me. And if someone does have "the answer", honestly, I would rather not know. I prefer the alchemy to the science. I would prefer it remain a mystery.
Count me out. I would pay to have a block of briar gene sequenced if it would prevent receiving a pipe turd in formal dress. Let's face it, we've all got 'em. You can't engineer your way out of a turd. You've either got a great tasting block of wood or you don't and there's no way to be sure unless you smoke it. In a way, briar the very essence of egalitarianism. I suppose that's why there are so many collectors with unsmoked pipes, (i.e. turd of damocles syndrome).
I'm astonished by those who share pipes between genres of blends but, hey, to each his own
Like you mentioned, it's all too easy to accept you have an epic turd of a va pipe on your hands when what you really have is the almighty's own burley smoker, but you just haven't realized it...yet?
The science part with a little s- a natively hot smoker is a bad combo for hot smoking blends. If the lat didn't work out I would try something else that was also black and either smoked or steamed and try to cool down that angry pipe.
There is really only one ace in the hole, I think. Bowl coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.