Wheels of Time by Robert Jordan

(25 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by dragonslayer
  • Latest reply from dragonslayer
  1. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First off he was a pipe smoker early on and a HUGE pipe collector, and yes I'm still trying to get tr least one from his collection, but no luck yet. Actually luck has nothing to do with it, major research and pissed off people. But again, I could care less about what other people think of me. Plus he's buried at St. James Cemetery in Charleston.

But back to the subject at hand, I have a few copies of the first book of the Wheels of Time that I'm willing to send to some people BUT, and this is a big BUT. You must be into fantasy books, and willing to embark on a 13 books series spanning over 10,000 pages in small print with 100 characters and a very slow read, in fact you'll be re-reading pages and going back to see what the character's place on the story. This is no LOTR or Harry Potter; they're children’s books in comparison.

Warning this is a commitment of over a year or more, and I would hope if you ask, you mean to go for it. I would hate to send it to someone who isn't ready to commit and miss someone willing. Figure about 8 pounds of tobacco and late nights not wanting to stop. PM me.
    Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. billbearcat

billbearcat

Login to Send PM

This is a good story line. I have three more books to go until I finish the series. I would definately recommend this to a fantasy reader. Plus each book is about 900 (give or take) pages long. So you get more book for your buck. Definately recommended.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished the last book about 2 days after its release. I have been reading this series for 20 years and enjoyed every minute of it.

You may call me "HerrDoctor"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Somewhere around book seven or so I lost track of who was doing what to who and gave up. They started out quite good though.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    -C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. kinny141

kinny141

Login to Send PM

That's where my name originates from! I'm usually kinslayer, but that sounds a bit... gruesome. Great books, sad that R. Jordan had to go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

I have read all but the last book myself. I read alot of fantasy and the wheel of time is by far my favorite. I agree be prepared to put a year of solid reading into the series but its worth it. I never knew that Robert Jordan was I pipe smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fantastic series. One of my favorites. I need to pick up the last book that just came out.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You must be into fantasy books, and willing to embark on a 13 books series spanning over 10,000 pages in small print with 100 characters and a very slow read, in fact you'll be re-reading pages and going back to see what the character's place on the story.

That's why I never even considered starting it.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would say only start it if you are VERY committed reader. I thought I was...

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. spyder71

Spyder

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have read all but the last book, great stuff!

"I used to cry because I had no shoes. Until I met a man who had no feet"- My favorite and I use it to get by...

Support The Epilepsy Awareness Foundation!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. winton

winton

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I read the first two books and really did not enjoy them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. trailspike48

trailspike48

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I started the series I was somehow under the impression that the series would be eight books. After I read the first nine books it was obvious the conclusion was still a ways off, and like brewshooter above, I was having trouble keeping all the characters straight. So number nine ended the series for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jordan was asked after the 6th book Lord of Chaos, why he was spacing out releases from a year apart to almost two. His responses were about taking more time on detail and the character arcs finally coming together. He also always saw it being a 10 to 12 book series. If I remember he had contemplated taking the books out to 14 maybe 15 by broadening the characters and events. The fact of it actually being 12 books was something towards the end of his life, was kind of insane to all his readers. Later learning he wanted all the documents and HDD’s wiped so nobody could finish it, then changing his mind and working with his wife and Brandon Sanderson to finish it, even on his death bed. Then it was taken, IMO by greed and made into 3 books. I haven’t read the last three wanting to read them as one, as I thought it was how it would have been written. I’ll save them for the sun this summer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hunter

hunter

Login to Send PM

Well it started out as a trilogy, then his publisher at Tor figured that he would need 6 books, which ended up being pushed to 9, when then went to 12, and here we are at 14 book, one novella, and a short story.

I finished A Memory of Light last night. It was pretty hard to finish it, I nearly didn't read the last few chapters just so I could know there was more... Great series, going to be hard to find something to replaces it.

“My pipe is out, my glass is dry; My fire is almost ashes too; But once again, before you go, And I prepare to meet the New : Old Year! a parting word that's true, For we've been comrades, you and I - I thank God for each day of you; There! bless yo”
    - Robert Service
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. billbearcat

billbearcat

Login to Send PM

@hunter- another great series is the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.. I like it more than the Wheel of Time. I felt like i "bonded" more with the characters more in the Sword of Truth series. The first book is called "The Wizard's First Rule".

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

Ahh yes, Wheel of Time series. I am currently on book three. I love the story line and the characters. My favorite character thus far is Perrin and his struggle with his "other half". Mat is annoying (and of course he is meant to be). And I have a thing for Moiraine

I think the Ways are damn scary.

Great books thus far (have not read them all yet). My problem is I am reading several books at the same time. The Horatio Hornblower series, Sherlock Holmes, and the Honor Harrington series of books. But I like to read. Even though I am a collector of books (especially old German astronomy books), I usually read on my Kindle.

Jason

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK - this is a very interesting thread. I loved LOTR, Narnia, etc. But I also love more dystopian books like Hunger Games as opposed to pure fantasy. Wheels seems like more than I can bite off right now. Is Sword of Truth a good alternative for me?

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. kinny141

kinny141

Login to Send PM

Sword of Truth series was awesome! I agree with Bill on that one, if you like wheel of time you should probably check SoT out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am not a fantasy guy in general but my curiosity was peaked about this series many years ago. I recently went looking for a used copy but the earliest book I could find was #3.

I cannot commit to any more than one book, however, so I am not looking to take part in your offer though it is quite generous!

A new copy shouldn't be too expensive if all else fails...

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. swilford

swilford

Login to Send PM

We handled the pipe part of his estate a few years back. Actually, it turned out that his wife happened to know my father through some mutual friend. I ended up spending the afternoon at they're house and working through the estates. It was quite a treat as I had read the first nine or ten books in the series and was something of a fan. I rather wished I'd been able to connect with him before his death rather than after, but it was still an experience.

As for securing a pipe from that estate at this point, I'll investigate and PM if I turn up anything, but they're all long, long gone at this point.

Sykes Wilford
    http://www.smokingpipes.com

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. chops

chops

Login to Send PM

I left off at book 6 I think. It was so long ago I would have to backtrack and re-read again. I got tired of waiting for his next book to come out.

As for Sword of Truth- I couldn't get into it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm very grateful that swilford is checking to see if any of Jordan's pipes are around from the estate auction, to a Jordan lover who is a pipe smoker; it’s the perfect piece to sit on the shelf, in a Dragon carved stand. The books all lined up, the true completion of the series and the man. So fingers crossed.

I still have a couple of copies of the first book left (my wife kept picking them up at garage sales for a dime, so even though I have a complete hardcopy set she keeps buying the paperbacks. Things could be worse, in the last 10 years I've easily given 20+ of them out. But I do love turning people on to his work, but realize you're making a commitment for over a years’ worth of reading 13 big ass, small print books, and an extremely complicated work of fantasy...This ain't no LOTRs.

PM me I think there are 2 left, maybe more if I look.

Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Terry Goodkind's series is a good one, it moves towards the lighter side of fantasy writing. A few others that are good reads on the lighter side are:

The Dragon riders of Pern (first 3 are enough she does start to ramble)by Anne McCaffery, it amazed me how cool she was to talk to, and being an older lady. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just unusual. I have a small book she did with her son and 3 other writers with small stories in it, including awesome artwork. I think it was maybe a 500 book run, but every author signed his story to me. A special keeper for me. The movie has been in pre-production for a couple years, I'm chopping at the bit. I tried to get the option on the books but it was already sold. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808236/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 They were to start production in 2011, a lot of actors attached for a 2013 release and the whole thing is &%*^ed up. I hope the option runs out and I get a chance to grab it.

The Drizzt series, a ton of books and still going strong by R.A. Salvatore. Actually I used to have lunch with him every year at GENCON and play D&D with him back in the 90's lols.

All of Philip K. Dick's works, what more can you say...

Plus more on the Sci-fi end the Dune trilogy (only, the rest are so-so) by Frank Herbert.
    Actually the movie they made in 1984 sucked, and didn't follow the story line at all. BUT SyFy channel and the BBC did two mini-series, 6 hours each that span the books. You can get these on DVD sets and they're fantastic, if you don't read the books (witch you should first) the mini-series is an A++. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287839/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

There is another movie being put together, but Paramount dropped it and no other studio is picking it up, as it's a $150 million+ film.

Sorry for the rant but it’s a book thread.
    Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. brewshooter

Brewshooter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree dragonslayer about the first three Pern books.

I might have to go back to Wheel of Time, now that it's all done. I was waiting so long between books by the time I stopped I wasn't able to keep track of who was who and all the different story arcs. I remember just plowing through the first three books and thinking how great they were. I don't exactly remember where I left off.

Right now my nightly reading is mostly to my two little boys. I alternate between one of the Narnia books or one of the 14 original OZ books, we're finishing up book five of that soon. It has probably been 25-30 years since I read through them all.

I don't despise the 1984 Dune movie, but it certainly has a lot of issues. My biggest beef with it was that I can hear the character's thoughts...seriously, that is some weak storytelling right there. I kept hearing raves about the extended cut. I finally saw it and realized, this has the same STUPID voice overs!!! I prefer the latest cut of Blade Runner, but wasn't as put off by the narration on the original theatrical cut as many seemd to be, because it was one guy telling his story. It was a cop narrating his report to me. However, I should not know the thoughts of EVERY character in the movie. If you can't tell, I REALLY dislike the Dune voice overs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like Dune I can't stress enough how much you will enjoy the two mini-series. They are fantastic and stay very close to the books. Besides that, the acting is first rate, and they had the budget to do it right. No total cheese scenes like the movie.

Craig

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tuold, kimbiker, owen, eyelander, oldmannk