PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
First off he was a pipe smoker early on and a HUGE pipe collector, and yes I'm still trying to get tr least one from his collection, but no luck yet. Actually luck has nothing to do with it, major research and pissed off people. But again, I could care less about what other people think of me. Plus he's buried at St. James Cemetery in Charleston.
But back to the subject at hand, I have a few copies of the first book of the Wheels of Time that I'm willing to send to some people BUT, and this is a big BUT. You must be into fantasy books, and willing to embark on a 13 books series spanning over 10,000 pages in small print with 100 characters and a very slow read, in fact you'll be re-reading pages and going back to see what the character's place on the story. This is no LOTR or Harry Potter; they're children’s books in comparison.
Warning this is a commitment of over a year or more, and I would hope if you ask, you mean to go for it. I would hate to send it to someone who isn't ready to commit and miss someone willing. Figure about 8 pounds of tobacco and late nights not wanting to stop. PM me.

Craig

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
This is a good story line. I have three more books to go until I finish the series. I would definately recommend this to a fantasy reader. Plus each book is about 900 (give or take) pages long. So you get more book for your buck. Definately recommended.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Just finished the last book about 2 days after its release. I have been reading this series for 20 years and enjoyed every minute of it.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Somewhere around book seven or so I lost track of who was doing what to who and gave up. They started out quite good though.

kinny141

Lurker
Jan 10, 2013
That's where my name originates from! I'm usually kinslayer, but that sounds a bit... gruesome. Great books, sad that R. Jordan had to go.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I have read all but the last book myself. I read alot of fantasy and the wheel of time is by far my favorite. I agree be prepared to put a year of solid reading into the series but its worth it. I never knew that Robert Jordan was I pipe smoker.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Fantastic series. One of my favorites. I need to pick up the last book that just came out.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You must be into fantasy books, and willing to embark on a 13 books series spanning over 10,000 pages in small print with 100 characters and a very slow read, in fact you'll be re-reading pages and going back to see what the character's place on the story.
That's why I never even considered starting it.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
When I started the series I was somehow under the impression that the series would be eight books. After I read the first nine books it was obvious the conclusion was still a ways off, and like brewshooter above, I was having trouble keeping all the characters straight. So number nine ended the series for me.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Jordan was asked after the 6th book Lord of Chaos, why he was spacing out releases from a year apart to almost two. His responses were about taking more time on detail and the character arcs finally coming together. He also always saw it being a 10 to 12 book series. If I remember he had contemplated taking the books out to 14 maybe 15 by broadening the characters and events. The fact of it actually being 12 books was something towards the end of his life, was kind of insane to all his readers. Later learning he wanted all the documents and HDD’s wiped so nobody could finish it, then changing his mind and working with his wife and Brandon Sanderson to finish it, even on his death bed. Then it was taken, IMO by greed and made into 3 books. I haven’t read the last three wanting to read them as one, as I thought it was how it would have been written. I’ll save them for the sun this summer.

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
Well it started out as a trilogy, then his publisher at Tor figured that he would need 6 books, which ended up being pushed to 9, when then went to 12, and here we are at 14 book, one novella, and a short story.
I finished A Memory of Light last night. It was pretty hard to finish it, I nearly didn't read the last few chapters just so I could know there was more... Great series, going to be hard to find something to replaces it.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
@hunter- another great series is the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.. I like it more than the Wheel of Time. I felt like i "bonded" more with the characters more in the Sword of Truth series. The first book is called "The Wizard's First Rule".

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Ahh yes, Wheel of Time series. I am currently on book three. I love the story line and the characters. My favorite character thus far is Perrin and his struggle with his "other half". Mat is annoying (and of course he is meant to be). And I have a thing for Moiraine :)
I think the Ways are damn scary.
Great books thus far (have not read them all yet). My problem is I am reading several books at the same time. The Horatio Hornblower series, Sherlock Holmes, and the Honor Harrington series of books. But I like to read. Even though I am a collector of books (especially old German astronomy books), I usually read on my Kindle.
Jason

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
OK - this is a very interesting thread. I loved LOTR, Narnia, etc. But I also love more dystopian books like Hunger Games as opposed to pure fantasy. Wheels seems like more than I can bite off right now. Is Sword of Truth a good alternative for me?

kinny141

Lurker
Jan 10, 2013
Sword of Truth series was awesome! I agree with Bill on that one, if you like wheel of time you should probably check SoT out.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I am not a fantasy guy in general but my curiosity was peaked about this series many years ago. I recently went looking for a used copy but the earliest book I could find was #3.
I cannot commit to any more than one book, however, so I am not looking to take part in your offer though it is quite generous!
A new copy shouldn't be too expensive if all else fails...

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
We handled the pipe part of his estate a few years back. Actually, it turned out that his wife happened to know my father through some mutual friend. I ended up spending the afternoon at they're house and working through the estates. It was quite a treat as I had read the first nine or ten books in the series and was something of a fan. I rather wished I'd been able to connect with him before his death rather than after, but it was still an experience.
As for securing a pipe from that estate at this point, I'll investigate and PM if I turn up anything, but they're all long, long gone at this point.
Sykes Wilford

www.smokingpipes.com

Status
Not open for further replies.