PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm still trying to find out more about this pipe, but what I do know is that it's a WHC-made Irish bog oak pipe with Chester hallmarks for 1903. It has a silver band and what I believe is an amber stem. In other words, it's a good bit nicer than the usual bog oak tourist pipe. It's hardly been smoked.
What interested me in this pipe at first was that it was sold by O'Farrell's of Dublin, which used to be on O'Connell St. (then called Sackville St.) "Opposite the G.P.O." Anyone who knows his Irish history knows that the General Post Office (GPO) was where the rebels of 1916 set up their headquarters. I was hoping it might be from around the time of the rising, but it's from a good bit earlier.
What's special about this pipe is that it's engraved "To P.J. Conway from Christian Bros. Ireland." The Christian Brothers were a monastic order that were involved with running schools and doing charity work, but they were also closely associated with Irish Nationalism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. One of the ways they promoted Irish nationalism was through sport, including hurling, Gaelic football and the like.
Anyway, the only P.J. Conway that I can find any mention of during this period is the P.J. Conway who was president of the Irish American Athletic Club in NYC which was founded in 1898. And I can't imagine that Christian Brothers Ireland, as such, would give an expensive, engraved pipe to anyone who wasn't in some way noteworthy. I.e., I don't think they'd be giving this kind of gift to some ordinary guy who happened to be named P.J. Conway. Maybe, but it just doesn't seem likely.
I found this nice write-up online about "the" P.J. Conway. http://www.wingedfist.org/P.J._Conway.html I'm almost certain that this pipe once belonged to him.
7fWIv8d.jpg

dqDDq3P.jpg

Z82CY6F.jpg

CVCrkK6.jpg

I7YLbXy.jpg

MShRGuv.jpg

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The case and inscription make that pipe very, very cool.
I had one very similar some years ago. But It had fewer shamrocks and an opaque amber stem. Not quite as deluxe as yours. I traded it away as everything I smoked in it tasted like dirt. I hope you have better luck! :puffy:

Jan 8, 2013
I love that pipe! All those shamrocks and the Irish harp on the one side really make it. Great find and just in time for Saint Patty's Day coming up next month. :D Enjoy it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Absolutely fascinating. How did this pipe come into your possession?
Good ol' fleabay. A one-bid wonder -- the starting price was 99 bucks (I think) and I was happy to pay it.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Prettiest pipe I think I have ever seen!

8O
Thanks, chasingembers. Been meaning to say, I like the new avatar.
I traded it away as everything I smoked in it tasted like dirt.
Actually, that's turf. It tasted like turf. The Irish were big on burning turf. And peat.
:rofl:
I think this might be the one pipe in my collection that I don't smoke. I haven't smoked it yet, actually. Did all the usual ministrations, etc., so it's ready to go. Well, maybe just the once. We'll see.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thats very interesting and quite a find. I have a few with engraved bands that I have picked up over the years but I have never found out who the person was although one of you guys thought you might have turned up James Flind who owned that WDC meerschaum bent pipe I have kicking around the office from 1894.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
That is an amazing find, pipe and purchase pitchfork.
Very interesting piece of history too.
No connection I'm sure but,one of Dublin's oldest pubs, although now closed, was called Patrick Conway's and was yards away from Moore Street were Pearse and the leaders of the rising surrendered.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for the compliments, everyone.
Simon, would love to see a pic or a link to that pipe.
oldreddog, I never knew Patrick Conway's pub -- was it closed recently?

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Pitchfork Conway's was on Parnell Street,
patrick-conway-150x104.jpg

As far as I recall it has been closed about ten years now. A pity really as it was a proper old fashioned Dublin pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.