What's The Strangest Thing You Have Found In Your Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Last night I opened a bag of Dunbar and jarred it. I was surprised to find several pieces of packing peanuts in the tobacco. I fished them out and jarred the blend. Have any of you found "outsiders" in any of your tobaccos?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
A few years back I opened a 20-year old tin of tobacco... and I swear, tiny little bugs with wings started moving around in there. How they were in there for 20 years in a vacuum sealed 50g tin and lived to tell the story is beyond me.
Any bugologists in the room who can explain that?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Is it your opinion that Styrofoam will not be improved by cellaring.
Can't speak to pipe tobacco. I did find what I believe to be a pubic hair in a very tasty Havana. I'm guessing the cigar was rolled a little higher than usual.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"Any bugologists in the room who can explain that?"
I'm no bugologist but it seems like they made an ecosystem out of the tobacco. It's fiber and that's good enough to eat, those bugs you saw could have been xxxx generations down the line. You didn't release them did you? Could be bad news...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipestud's bugs may have had some kind of default dormancy that allowed them to be in a larva stage until the air had more oxygen, or more light, or something.
Frog Morton Cellar brags that they have small strips of whiskey barrel staves in the blend to add flavor. I'm about to find out. That's my next tin in line.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Frog Morton Cellar brags that they have small strips of whiskey barrel staves in the blend to add flavor. I'm about to find out. That's my next tin in line.
I can attest to that fact as I surprisingly pulled a little chunk of wood out of a tin of FMOTB, subsequently I found another chunk in a tin of Frog Morton Original.
I doubt it would taste very good if a chunk of wood inadvertently ended up under a flame in you bowl.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Knocking on wood.... Not yet! The piece of barrel stave was not expected, but I hadn't read up on the Frog stuff enough.
I bet that Steve's bugs were eggs laid in the tobacco, and that stayed dormant until air, heat, light, some combo there of allowed the little **ckers to hatch.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
pipestud's bugs
:rofl:
I think pipestud wins this thread.
In a tin of Germains 1820 I found some little pieces of wire, maybe 1/2 inch long. Tobacco baling wire?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
One of these leaves, about a centimeter long, showed up in a batch of Milan 401 Burley a long time ago. Ironically, I came to understand that it is from an ash tree!

Ash-Tree-Leaf.jpg

I also found a couple of short pieces of twine in a batch of Haunted Bookshop.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
A mangled piece of metal the size of a 50 cent piece in a one pound bag of PS-17.

Status
Not open for further replies.