What's the General Consensus on Savory Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I have found some of these pipes locally and I see they are listed on some pipe identification sites as "Dunhill seconds" :roll: and we all know what that is called (marketing). Who has experience with them and what sort of experiences have you had?
Thanks,

Dave

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dave:
It's been my experience that damned near any second from the long established British manufactures are great smokers. I've got Saiseni, GBD and Comoy seconds that smoke every bit as well, if not better, than the first rated brands.
There's no doubt in my mind that the Savory's Argyll would be any lesser a burner than a Dunhill. I'm pretty sure you'll find a cosmetic blemish somewhere but that's probably about it. Besides, if Bradly says it's a keeper than you should probably buy several.
Fnord

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks guys. I'm really trying to avoid buying pipes right now but I might just have to. fnord, my GBD and Comoy seconds are some of my better smoking pipes.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
CAPT the Argills are good and the Courzons better,their tanblasts very good,got 4 and smoke on par with my Dunhill,the best one is a Courzon Poker I got from Dave Neeb The old cajun

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Stig, it's not always just marketing.
I don't know anything about the Savory brand, but I have two no names that I know are Charatan from the shape, some Comoy seconds and a pre Republic Peterson Shamrock. All are at least good if not great smoking pipes.
I bought a Town Hall, a Comoy second, for $39 off Ebay a few weeks ago. It has one very small, barely noticeable pit. Except for that small flaw, the quality of the grain, the finish and even the color of the stain equal that of my Blue Ribands and most important, it's a nice smoker. I couldn't be happier with it. I consider it a great find.
Looking at the pre Republic Shamrock and the Town Hall, you can see the very high standards pipe makers had years ago. They would not be seconds today.
If they are a second from the well known British brands and older pipes, they are made from the same quality, well seasoned briar. It's just the cosmetic differences that made them seconds. Like others have said, they should smoke just as well as the first line pipes.
Buy them and see how they smoke. If you don't like them, you can always sell or trade them.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hia, Dave:
I've got Irwin, Digby, Cheylin and Ranga burners from GBD.
Guildhall, Every Man and Sunrise pipes from Comoy.
Old England and Fantail from Sasieni. (Calling bullshit on Fantail being a true "second.")
Tinder Box Unique and No Name Pipe from Charatan. (Always surprised that more smokers don't know about TBU label.)
Estella and Oscar from Savinelli. (Ditto bullshit call on the Estella.)
What do you have, pal?
Fnord

Aug 1, 2012
I've got a Dorchester, a Gresham Giant (calling BS on the second for that one) and a Disney World from Comoy. A Mountain Club from GBD (French so I guess it doesn't count but throwing it out there anyway). I've had 3 Hardcastles, 2 pre-cadogan one post-merger, and I'm down to 2 because the first one sucked. I also have a Mountbatten and from reading the forums I'm not sure whether it's a true second either. Them's the Brit "seconds" I have.
The Mountain Club is one of my best smokers and it came in my first estate lot. I've never had a bad smoke from it.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I have a Courozon bowl headed my way just needs a cleanup and a new stem. I have two royal Danish (Stanwell) excellent smokers I also have two Savs that were made for Lane some will call these seconds some wont both are just as good as my others marked SAV. I also have a Charatan made pipe fpr a private label again good stuff. Post pics of your new pipe and how you like it. I will add my Savory when I get it and give before and after shots.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Sweet just scored an argyle france for 10.50$ yesterday. It looks nice, just a few minor cosmetic blemishes on the side of the bowl, nothing to fret for 10$. Glad to see it's a high quality second.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do have Savory's Curzon 134 pot smooth finish made in london englend with "crown S" logo vulcanite stem.

First, when I touch a bowl a finish is so smooth and firm with beautiful deep grain and birdeyes.

Second, smoking is so easy draw feels like almost pipe smoking itself.

I did dedicated this pipe with Night Cap from start, no other blend.

Nothing different with my dunhill to me. I will leave to you a guess.

hottgunn

Lurker
Mar 30, 2013
I have several Savory Argyll pipes. Two #189 shells, the same measurements as the Dunhill 120's and a #95 the same measurements as the Dunhill LB with a root finish. All were less than $40.00 apiece and they smoke every bit as well as any of my Dunhills. Along with the Edwards Algerian briar pipes (oil cured to boot) they are the Very best buys on estate pipes to be found. The Dunhill name is great for trade value, like the U.S. Dollar used to be, but for the quality smoke that the pre 1968 Dunhill's offer they are the same. None measure up to the Holy Grail of pipes , the Duke St S.W. , but they are exceptional.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Found this thread via Googling "Savoy Curzon", looked closer at the the stamp, and it's indeed savory. As is the pipe, a bent billiard. Large bowl, nice grain, smooth as a cheerleader's thighs. Unfortunately, a replacement stem. But a fine smoker if ever there was one.

Status
Not open for further replies.