PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I love the shape... and PAD is kicking in... I am wondering whether they smoke different... looks like the stem connects to the bowl higher than on most pipes...
any difference smoking or packing these?
Thanks, G

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Nope. You do have the conveininece of sitting it on a flat surface. My L'Ananta is a great smoker.
100MEDIAIMAG0183.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thus spake Cortezattic
...but the tobacco chamber isn't drilled down to the bottom of the pipe.
Other things that just makes them cool.

Pokers are a simple shape that just looks good, has class, and needs no improvement to impress.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Tango. I don't have any yet, but man Lucianno has some good looking ones for a decent price. I almost ordered one instead of my new Stanwell 139.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Most of the pokers I've seen are of a design that (typically) has a large chamber and yet is relatively light (not as much briar as say, a freehand or rhodesian)
Good for clenchin' :puffy:

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Never been a big fan of the shape but the first pipe I ever carved was a poker (due to tool issues) and to my complete surprise I actually like it now.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I know. What's with those pokers just sitting there all beautiful like on tables without a pipe stand? How dare they entice me by sending me pictures of themselves. I'd like to see them give me those looks in person. One day I'll own you all.
One day.

Jul 12, 2011
IMHO- Mark Balkovec poker shaped pipes hit a home-run,

between the finish and the custom handcut stems and metal

work...WOW...will be my next briar pipe for sure ;-)

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
@roth- that set is omy christmas list!! Been looking at them as estates on ebay but can never find the set, can only find the bent one, never found the poker
@gnat- ive been looking at boswell pokerrs closely!

Jul 12, 2011
Boswell also makes oustandkng pipes, I have a spiral, and

a few Shotshell bent/rusticated egg shapes from JM,

great smoking pipes from day one

Reactions: White_Rice
Aug 14, 2012
Pokers do not smoke differently. I like them because of my love for the simple cylinder. I happen to be smoking one right now. The best deal on pokers is from David Jones, a pipemaker who sells on Ebay.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm starting to dig the poker style as well. Wanting to either pick up Peterson's Iceberg Collection poker or the Mark Twain set, the poker in that set is really nice looking especially with the rusticated finish.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
So far, I am liking the David Jones... the Stanwell Vario poker and I am loving these Pipes by Fat Bastard as well... don't know much about vuillard pipes... but they look pretty lightweight...
I am hoping to find a poker light enough to operate hands free
I have the PAD $ burning a hole in my pocked... but it's no easy task just grabbing one... they are either on eBay and expire in a few days... custom orders or out of stock... or in the case of the Vuillard, a little outta my price range.
of course there is the gorgeous storient PM poker on briarbid now for a nice buyout price... mmm do I want another meerschaum?

Status
Not open for further replies.