PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
I've been dabbling in a lot of Virginia's lately like annikake and VA spice and lousiana red and I want to try a good spicey English from H&H which is the best English from them? Also I do like latakia as long as it has a counter balance that is to say I like it when it is blended in a classy way. Also I like a little warmth and sweetness to my blends like something that has a little softness as well as spice. I was looking mainly at daybreak but was thinking it could be too mild and then Larry's blend but it sounds heavier on latakia. Is there a baccy that is between these two in flavor?

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
It's cool roth and dragon, it seems that the OP has indeed already hit the Kake. 8)
As far as H&H english type blends, other than the aforementioned Black House and Magnum O, I'm partial to Ambassador. Highly adequate, as a friend of mine likes to say.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Larry's and Black House are both excellent, but both have lots of latakia. Maybe Namaste or Sunjammer?

thegrimpeeper

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Mmmmmm yes that magnum opus looks good that may have to go on the list. Oh yeah great suggestion thanks. As far as the English at this point I'm leaning towards Larry's if its too strong I could always mix it down with AK. Anyone have anything to say about House of Lords?

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I haven't smoked many, but Magnum Opus -- which I happen to be smoking as I type -- really is all that, almost the quintessential English blend I remember smelling as a kid in the 60s and 70s when a lot of people actually smoked pipes -- reminds you of the smell of an old library full of leather bound volumes, and each tobacco so expertly blending into the whole so no one ingredient stands out. Really great stuff. It's not sweet though if that's what you're looking for, it's more of a dry smoke.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Yes, I forgot to say. It's possible in England, but then I have to travel there. The Britions want to differ from the rest of the EU, so their credit card regulations prevent export of tobacco products.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks Rothnh
It looks good. Very good indeed.

I can se the prices in the UK is the same as Denmark. Actually approx $1 more expensive/50g tin.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Doesn't Synjeco Switzerland offer GL Pease products out of Switzerland? I'm in the US but I've looked at their website for hard to find tobacco and pipes. I don't know European shipping issues but they list GL Pease (and Cornell & Diehl) as a product line they carry.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I can't say much about H&H blends, but a good Lat blend with a touch of sweet(Black Cavendish) in it would be Lane's HGL. I like it for a mild all day smoke.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I picked up House of Lords, Victorian Stroll, Daybreak, and Black House a while back to start learning about English/Latakia blends. Of those four, I'd say I like Black House and Daybreak the best - I've been breaking in a pipe with Burleys and trying to use up some of the aromatics I'm less fond of, and in the heat of the summer, the Latakia blends don't do as much for me, so the lighter Daybreak is about the only one I'm still smoking at the moment. House of Lords seems a little more strongly flavored to me than Victorian Stroll, but the difference is fairly subtle.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Grim:
I cellar Black House, Magnum Opus and Larry's Blend but I also cellar the somewhat lighter Ten to Midnight.
The latter can be a little fussy: it's a krumble kake - and can always use a little rubbing - but I had a swell 80 minute plus smoke last night in a thick walled Edward's Canadian that kept reminding me why I enjoy English blends so much.
PM sent.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.