PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
So...I smoked a bowl of this...went in for another to give it another whirl. I found this in the tobacco and felt like my bad luck had come around. It looks like hair....it smells like tobacco and when set on fire doesn't smell like burning hair...but it's gross whatever it is. So, is there something in tobacco I have never seen and this is natural...(doubt it but want opinions before I complain) and what would you do? I'm mad about this...and as many good things as I've heard about this tobacco it was unexpected. I can see how a little could pass by...but the picture only shows one of two clumps I found. Easily noticed...do they not have quality control? Is it just too hard to filter out? I will be going through the rest of the tobacco when I get a chance...but this was just plain gross.
1102151424-00_zps04hfugmw.jpg

1102151424-01_zpslzpn4zbu.jpg

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
lmao I like jpmcwjr's answer the best so far. However, it seems more towards a hair. Around here we are figuring livestock or a dirty old farmer trimmed out a dingleberry that was bothering him. I plan to complain, I can't smoke it knowing there is something foreign in the contents... well don't want to.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Probably string used to bale the tobacco for curing. It could also possibly a piece of tobacco stem that got shredded and looks like a hair now, as it would really stink when burned if it was hair or string. I'm pretty sure McC's is a pretty small operation. Even on a big operation though that would be easy to miss.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Apparently their site doesn't have a way for me to contact.....it's either join the mailing list or contact as a business. Of course they can't make it easy to complain...am I the only one who's ever found this in tobacco? For that matter....has anyone else found anything foreign...like, maybe a finger, playing card, 1952 Panhead parts?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I popped the lid on a tin, and had this happen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkfU1JqmkHM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
chasingembers - well done.
mortonbriar - They can see my avatar, it will let them understand those hairs are much too small to be from him.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Well it is disturbing. Odds are higher that it is some kind of twine from a shipping bale. Please keep us updated and some positive ID'd lab results would really be wonderful in this regard. I can say Frog Morton will have a little harder time getting on my order list. You should be able to find help from suppliers here who are sponsors I bet. Possibly without your involvement or knowledge even.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
When I toured the perique factory they were bundling tobacco leaves and tying them together with hemp twine before placing the bundles in the barrels. My understanding is that once the tobacco finished aging, it would be separated and the twine removed. If I'm correct it looks like someone missed a piece of twine.

I'm curious. I'm pretty sure that this was done months maybe even years ago, and I am also certain that they have some sort of a rule somewhere that says that their employees are not allowed to add bits of hair or twine. How would you expect them to react when you tell them about this? Just curious.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Imagine all the other stuff you and the rest of us have missed! I'm guessing more than a bit of human DNA carrying tissues are in the bag or tin. The stuff we smoke isn't made and packaged in "clean rooms." Things like dead skin, sweat and hair probably add to the room note and taste. I know, it's the stuff we can see that disturbs us. A piece of rope would startle me, the stuff I can't see I never think about. Well, until this posting.
Sort like buying a used car, you do not want it lab tested! I don't care how well it was cleaned and detailed there are gonna be boogers, feces, spit, sperm, toe jam, belly button lint, Cherry Blend leavings, and all sorts of other things that might turn your stomach. Some things you just do not want to know.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Looks like a piece of twine to me, too. I would't worry about it; I'd just throw out the twine and keep smoking. McClelland is a fine company. Just a simple mistake.

I have said this before, and I will say again, they should put prizes in the tins, like Cracker Jacks. Give us something to make us want the tins over the bulk.

I was very excited when I would pop open one of the McC's Grand Orientals and find a whole leaf of the oriental tobacco profiled in the blend. It doesn't have to be diamonds and gold, even a single whole leaf can amuse me.

Status
Not open for further replies.