What's So Great About Kiribi Lighters? - We'll Tell You.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I think many of us just think of lighters in a passive way - flip the wheel, get a flame, light your pipe, and done - back in the pocket. After reading about Kiribi Lighters in our latest piece from James Foster, I now know that thinking about lighters like that is like thinking about a Lexus as just a car - it's got four wheels and a steering wheel and takes you places.
I never knew that an article about a pipe lighter could be so interesting. There's some intriguing history, gorgeous packaging, and they are priced quite reasonably considering the quality and special features.
James says it's better than his Zippo and Xikar. What makes a Kiribi Lighter better? Click the following link to find out -
From Sparks of Good Will to the Warmth of a Perfect Light

Jan 8, 2013
For a second I thought Haja was back 8O This was actually a great read, and I think, the first time I've ever been led to actually wanting to purchase a lighter after reading a review about one. I'm going to be looking these up. Thanks, Kevin :)

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
seeing as how pylorns wrote it...I'd trust his answer the most. :mrgreen:
but $100 for a lighter?

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I might get a new lighter. I only have a zippo currently and the double opening for the flame really has me excited for a possible old style lighter that can be used outside. Sorry no pipes indoors!

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Sorry to disappoint but as much as I like my Kiribi it is just as lousy outdoors in a breeze as every other soft flame butane lighter.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^ All too true. The Pipemaster, and I'm quite sure the Kiribi are basically the same type of lighter as for their output flame-wise. Bottom line... a bird fart will quickly put out the flame (the Corona Old Boy is even worse). Only good for indoor. Outdoor, stick with a Zippo. I have both and use each accordingly.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
Thanks phil and Darwin. I guess my Zippo will have to do. Oh well, I do love style of lighters though.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Just looked through the info that came with mine and all it says is "Fill only with premium lighter butane." Make of that what you will. I've used something I found at a local smoke shop called "Neon 5X", the most expensive they had in the store, and it's worked without problems for the last six months.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I only use Vector Quintuplus 5+ (filtered 5 times).

By no means EVER use Ronson butane fuel. I just noticed last week that Vector also has a fuel that is filtered 14 times. Either way, only use those fuels which have been filtered numerous times.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
I've wondered just what is being filtered out of butane. Moisture? Particulates?

Status
Not open for further replies.