What's happening to my Taste for Tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Alright, some of you fellers who've been around the block a few times:

Have you ever been going along, minding your own business and smoking your favorite blends, when all at once, you can't seem to get that "something special" out of them. Like for me, I like a bit of sweetness (usually natural) in my smoke, but for 2 weeks now I get NOTHING like that from my usual go-to's like Anniversary Kake and Trout Stream. Nothing's changed about my pipes, smoking routine or storage of the tobacco---HAVE I CHANGED INSTEAD SOMEHOW???
Any thoughts would be appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

-Mattia

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I've had the same experience, but it went away after taking a couple days hiatus from smoking. Not sure why or how this happens, I'm still pretty new to pipes as well.
I'm also interested in hearing what the voice of experience has to say about this.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Hmmmmmmmmmm? Dr Arthur thinks you should pack all that flavorless tobacco up and send it to him for testing! :roll:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Just like kf5eqv said. The same thing happened to me a couple of times, then I took a day or two off from smoking and everything returned to normal. It could also be the change of seasons. You might want to try smoking something different than your usual blends.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Could be one of two things. First you need to switch blends. Switch to a different blend for a day or so and then switch back. You might just be getting too used to the same blend and expecting nirvana each time which is expecting alot. Secondly your taste could be maturing. Most guys start off with the sweet "tuty fruity" aros until their pipe smoking techniques improve and the desire to try something new hits. Once that happens and you experience luscious latakia you becaome an English/Balkan smoker and the aros take a back seat. So don't worry about what you are experiencing, just go with the flow and enjoy the journey. The key in life is to have a long enjoyable one, the bumps along the way don't count.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just like baseball players, your taste buds go through an occasional slump. Coincidentally, this is happening

to me right now, and I think Kevin may be right about the change of seasons. I just plow right through it

-- maybe smoking a little less -- not as a cure, but as a response. Try switching blend genres as mjtannen alluded.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Not sure about that, hobie. I used to smoke after sex,; now I smoke instead of it.

After many years of mainly smoking English blends ie. latakia based,I find that I'm exploring more Va flakes and crossover blends as a change of pace.

capnbellamy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2011
Canterbury, England
The same flavour/taste over and over will make you extremely used to it, and so it'll be less wonderful when you try it. It might also mean you start to increase the heavines of the flavour to try and get back that same wonderful experiance. Switch blends, and switch the major flavour (sweet, savoury, and then particular types of sweet etc) you aim for in a smoke. The same occurs in foods, with salt or sweet or whatever. The best food tasters/wine tasters don't drink or eat the same thing constantly, to keep their tastes sharp and incisive.
Also, and this is maybe the most annoying answer, your tastes change naturally over time. You could just have gone through some hidden change and it's makeing itself known in the flavours you particularly enjoy.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
How weird. I'm getting the same thing. Tonight I'll try something that isn't in my normal rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.