What`s Going On With Moisture Content in C & D and GL Pease?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pipebuddy

I have recently opened 8oz tins of both brands; the most recent being dated March 2016 (Exhausted Rooster) and the oldest, August 2013 (Cumberland). The very great majority had tobacco that was so dry it would break up when applying a slight pressure on a folded flake; and it had absolutely no smell at all coming from the tin.

Besides that, the Gaslight (2015) and Briar Fox Plugs (2016) would turn to dust when giving a slight rub to the slices I cut.

I`m all in favor with a low moisture level in my tobaccos. That makes them ready to go upon opening. But this is beyond any possibility of saving it.

I have had other 8oz tins that were just fine. The problem is that the overly dry ones are happening to me more and more frequently over the last year and I have to say that I am starting to be extremely disappointed by these brands. To the point where I am considering to stop purchasing them.

Anybody else had this issue?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've never opened a tin that was intact to find the tobacco too dry.
Are you able to measure the RH of the tobacco in a closed container?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
We bought some sealed tins of Odyssey and Raven's Wing on eBay a few years ago, they were about 10 years old. All dry as dust. Between the this and mold issues on and off for... ever, I have steered clear of cellaring GLP or C/D.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I have tins of Cumberland, Haddo’s, Mephisto, Blackpoint and Samara that going on 15 years and they have been in perfect condition.

P

pipebuddy

@Sasquatch: I hear ya, Bro. And we're Canucks at that; so we have to be extremely diligent with our tobacco choices. And waste is not an option!
@headhunter: I am trying to understand how you can say they are in perfect condition if the are still sealed-as I understand? How can you know the tobaccos inside are ok? For you SA, mine were in perfect condition too; until I opened them. Then the party crashed...
Out of eight 8oz tins opened throughout 2017, only 2 had an acceptable moisture level. That means six were boooooone dry. :eek:
Slightly frustrating at the least, to remain, er, cool.
Maybe it's time for C & D to switch to the European vacuum sealed tins. :puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've got at least 8 8 oz tins from C&D now in jars. Moisture has been perfect all along; sorry for your losses.

P

pipebuddy

@kcghost: Sorry, but I don't get this. I'm trying real hard to understand. So I ask you the same question than headhunter: how can you know the tobaccos inside your tins are "perfect" as they have not been opened? And I have to ask: please tell me what it is that I could have possibly been doing "wrong"; when all my tins are stored in a temperature controlled environment right off the bat?
I have been smoking GL Pease and C & D tobaccos since 2009. This kind of thing never used to happen. And it forces me to ask: is the quality control process at C & D is starting to go progressively down the drain? Because over the last couple of years, it happens more and more frequently. What troubles me as well is when the tobacco I get is not overly dry, it's overly moist.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It's Ok, relax, Perdurabo's here. As JPMCWJR said, "No one knows what your bone dry is." Bone dry, to me, means ready to smoke and I'm going to get the most flavor. Now I've had some C&D tins that have a bowls worth of dust at the bottom of the jar, but never have I had nothing but dust. I have heard of it happening but have never seen it. C&D is not the only blender that I've had dust in the bottom of the tin/jar. The beloved McClelland has had its fair share of dust at the bottom of the tin also. Lately, C&D has had more moisture in their blends, OJK comes to mind. Also the Bridge Mixture. GLP Charing Cross had a higher moisture content as well. So maybe they're trying to address a problem. Pulling a bowls worth of OJK out to dry is a bitch, and sort of defeats the purpose. I'll liked Haunted Bookshop and OJK to be ready to smoke, not a wet Soggy Samuel Gawith mess to have to fool with. Now I love SG, so I dry the stuff and while I'm waiting 24 hours, I smoke something else. Sounds like bone dry needs to be further defined. Is it dust or just dry and ready to smoke?

P

pipebuddy

@perdurabo: As I said in my fist post: "The very great majority had tobacco that was so dry it would break up when applying a slight pressure on a folded flake; and it had absolutely no smell at all coming from the tin.

Besides that, the Gaslight (2015) and Briar Fox Plugs (2016) would turn to dust when giving a slight rub to the slices I cut."
Actually, I am being incorrect in this description. The flake would break before I was able to even try to fold it. When I actually grabbed it. There was no more "flexibility" left in it. So, to detail a bit, bone dry as in when you're packing your pipe, it's really hard to pack it because there's no moisture left in it, it's like dried hay; and as in it trashes your mouth when you smoke it 'cause it's way too dry. :wink:
@chasingembers: sure...the flakes, you can hear them when you shake the tin. However, I'd like for someone to tell me what the sound of a dry vs moist flake makes in the tin because I'm not sure I could tell? As for mixtures like Cumberland, Chelsea Morning, etc, they are much more harder to hear as they are so tightly packed. But I don't fancy shaking my tins. It's something I don't do-reminds me of playing maracas. :wink: Swelling? Can't say; I've only had, at the oldest, a bit more than 5 years old tins. Oh wait, I've seen swelling on very young tins of Triple Play and Burley Flake No 2 a few years back. When I opened them, they had mold. :(

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Think the difference between shaking a can of potato chips versus a container of beef jerky.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
There was an issue with GLP years ago, where the moisture from the tobacco was rusting the interior of the tin forming tiny pinholes, thru which the remaining moisture would escape. This was supposedly fixed by coating the interior of the tins with something. To check the tins, you needed to remove the labels.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I gotcha. I just finished a tin of Captain Earles Mystic Blend and whenever I broke off a piece of the cake dust particles were produced. But it smoked great. Same with Black Frigate. Now, No smell from the tin? That does give some perspective to your problem. That would concern me too. I forgot you mentioned that. Also I've never had a C&D flake that actually folds and stuffs, so you got me there. I'm sorry your smoke isn't up to your standards. Try reaching out to C&D to see what they say. If your in Canada that may be more trouble than it's worth to you. But that's my suggestion.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't buy much C&D, so I can't speak to problems with the tinning of their blends. But I do buy Pease and C&D's tinning of the blends I've bought has been hit or miss. Tins of Haddo's Delight from 2000 and 2001 were fine when opened. 2002 was a total loss with the tins having rusted out from the inside. Tins from 2003 were hit or miss, depending on who had made the tin, as they clearly used different sources. 2004 they coated the interior, except at the soldering join, and while there was a little corrosion at the join, the rest of the tin was solid and the contents were fine. I may just bite the bullet and jar up the rest.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Always best practice to jar, though I seldom take my own advice. I jar bulks, but not tins. Still, I’ve yet to open a dud tin. Just a matter of time, though.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Good link below. GL Pease chimes in as well (and mentions switching to aluminum tins)
In years past I bought some GLP blends (2000-2003) only to find them so badly rusted they were unsmokable as the rust was caked right into the tobacco. Heart breaking and costly.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/check-on-your-old-tall-style-pease-tins

P

pipebuddy

Great infos, guys, but again, the tins I have been having issues with were dated, at the oldest, from 2012. Considering the results, I would never put my money on older C&D tins.

Again, I seriously wonder why C & D does not switch to the European type vacuum tins such as Dunhill, Orlik, Mac Baren, etc?

I guess there's not much more I can do about it besides stop buying their products. That will at least prevent any further wasting of my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.