PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I been looking at morta pipes, love the way many of them look. Is there advantages to this wood other than the coolness of having something 5,000 years old?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I ordered a cheap Morta and was mortified over its construction, so I sent it back. It was made in an Eastern European country.
There are some around here who are quite familiar with that wood, and hope they see this thread. Some Morta wood is pretty light, IRRC.

Jan 8, 2013
The way I understand it (as I haven't one yet, but plan on getting one soon) is that morta can be smoked often without resting, much like a meerschaum, whereas with briar it's best to let the pipe rest for 24 hours at least between smokes. This is debatable but seems to be the popular view on briar. Like briar, it's heat resistant and therefore a great material for pipes. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe ghosting isn't as much an issue with morta as with briar.
Morta smokers chime in please.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I love my morta. It's super lightweight, super cool smoking, no ghosting, and the cool factor. It's the best of meerschaum, briar and calabash combined, the ultimate pipe material in my eyes, I would love another.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Morta is fun. Very light and heat resistant. Some adds a flavor to the smoke, similar to how briar can. Generally does best when blasted as the patterns and grain lines are really appealing.

It'll get hotter to the touch than briar but the hotness does not transfer into the smoke unless you puff like a freight train.

Jun 27, 2016
I've heard that they can add a flavor to the smoke, but I have not tried one, mainly because I have heard that. Is it more common that not that a Morta pipe would add a flavor? What does it taste like? Does it go away eventually if it is there?

:puffpipe:

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've had morta pipes that smoke fairly neutrally from the word go and I've had pipes that have added a strong flavour but it does seem to disappear. If a pipe adds a flavour then in my experience it slips nicely into the background with English blends where as it's very noticable with Virginia blends, however one of my best Virginia pipes added a overpowering flavour when I first bought it but it went after 20+ bowls.
As for what morta tastes like, I've heard salty, sea weedy or a creosote type flavour but to me it kind of reminds me of an artifical dark fruit flavour but without any sweetness what so ever, it's not unpleasant. Ever pipe is different but alot of mine seem to increase the bass notes found in blends.
I love morta, it's light, not as fussy as briar and very handsome. In my opinion the perfect pipe material.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I have a couple of morta pipes that were completely flavor neutral from the first bowl. I know morta color runs from gold down to jet black, this is supposed to be due to age with the darker stuff being the oldest. Both of mine are a dark gray, has anyone noticed if darker or lighter morta is more prone to impart a flavor?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I got this morta a couple of months ago. It was made by local carver Jason Zeiner of Bethlehem, Pa. It smokes like a dream; as do all of Jason's pipes.

It is extremely light weight. After smoking wipe out the chamber with a paper towel and it's good to go again.
NQWJMOW.jpg

iEIe1az.jpg

TBb5tSd.jpg

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The Morta I get is 5000 year old from ukraine. However, I have heard tastes can range form neutral to sweet depending on the minerals and proportions present in the swamp the morta came from. I have also heard that the brown or gold morta tends to smoke bitter for the first few bowls, but have no personal experience with anything but the grayish black age.
The morta I have made pipes from tends to be on the sweet side with a very small hint of oak. It is very pleasant and definitely a top notch competitor to briar, although it is quite a bit more costly and as the supply runs dry, that price will keep going up. I would suggest diving into purchasing a morta pipe sooner rather than later because the price will only go up.
Example, a decent sized morta block, crack free, that can make a nice sized pipe costs the pipe maker between $45 and $60. And that doesn't guarantee a successful pipe as there can be grain fissures similar to briar that aren't apparent until getting into the block, as with anything organic.
So a pipe maker with bad luck is now in for 90-120$ just in wood cost for a single pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm interested that morta is light weight. I'd always visualized it as being heavy, because it is petrified in a sense. Also noteworthy that it gets hot to the touch. It certainly makes for an interesting looking pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, I'd like to know more about weight/mineral content.
And, as to imparting a taste, a small about of morta was in an area inhabited by dinosaurs. Not a problem by itself, except they relieved themselves regularly on those trees.....

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Papipeguy, that is an awesome looking morta!
I have morta pipes. They are wonderful smokers. I don't host pictures anywhere but here so i have to dredge thru them to find pics.
Top of this gaggle is my Duca 3B Morta. Possibly my favorite pipe of all:
20141204_221324-600x450.jpg

Top of this pair is another Duca Morta:
20150124_164442-600x337.jpg

And finally a Davorin Morta, not lightweight, but no amount of material in that size could be. Smokes awesome!
1433464881084-600x337.jpg

I highly recommend getting a morta. Mimmo Provenzano makes reasonably priced Mortas. I am also hunting a Becker, but that won't be cheap.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
The darker the morta, the older. Much of the black stuff has been carbon dated to 5500 years old. I've heard the blonde stuff has a stronger flavor, but I only like the black, so I can offer no personal experience. If you can get one, Vermont Freehand puts out the Norsedog, and it's a lovely pipe. There is no advantage over briar, in my opinion. I'll be totally honest, briar is your main pipe, everything else is a treat to be used in between. That being said, the lightness of morta is nice. I find the flavor addition is very subtle, and most agree that it pairs well with English blends. I personally like them with a smooth Virginia flake, it adds a subtle note of earthiness that is like blending a Virginia, but it is barely there. Should you own one good morta pipe, yes. Will it replace the time honored briar, no. YMMV.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Actually just finished this Morta Author with Ooosik and B&W Ebonite...One of my favorite materials to work with...This one's going to Chicago...
294nuyb.jpg
...and thought I'd throw in another pic- very unusual to get the grain oriented like this...
2cwjs46.jpg
2zhe613.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.