PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have seen it described as a habit, a hobby and best of all, a fascination, but I now use the term "experience."
True, it has attributes of both habit and hobby, and should be pursued as a fascination in my view, but really what it is can be seen as part of a lifestyle, values system (zest for life, sensu Haidt) and a vision of what life should be.
"Habit" seems to reduce it to addiction, "hobby" to a triviality engaged in after the daily servitude. Fascination describes the mindset. But the experience is what we seek.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Seems like it's something different for everyone, but I'm inclined to agree with Cosmic, it's a "pastime" for me as well.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Seems like it's something different for everyone, but I'm inclined to agree with Cosmic, it's a "pastime" for me as well.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's something I do. It's a diversion, I suppose, for me. In the evening I relax with a pipe/cigar and a book. When working I work with a pipe/cigarette near at hand or in my maw. So, I will also cop to "nicotine addiction." So it serves a couple of purposes, diversion and facilitating my addiction. That being said, all of my pipes please my eye. So there is that also, the beauty of shape, fit and finish.
After being on this site for a couple of years the pipe is obviously different things to different people and simply can't be given a general descriptor. Some attribute mystical powers to the pipe. Others are simply drawn to the routine. Some are nearly compulsive in their pursuit of more pipes. For some it is a hobby, certainly not trivial or inexpensive.

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
Well, I agree with "experience" and to continue the Hendrix metaphor I would call my pipe smoking an "amplifier". A good smoke makes all my sedentary activities, from reading to surfing (the Internet, not the ocean... Too many relights.) more pleasant.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Only if it was an addiction would I be likely to use euphemisms like "hobby" or "passtime". So I call it a habit. Not all habits are bad.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
"Hobby." Although that may make it sound dispensable. I think I might go with "Pastime."

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Nicotine is addictive.[11] , the substance acts as a stimulant in mammals, while high amounts (50–100 mg) can be harmful.[12][13][14] This stimulant effect is a contributing factor to the addictive properties of tobacco smoking. Nicotine's addictive nature includes psychoactive effects, drug-reinforced behavior, compulsive use, relapse after abstinence, physical dependence and tolerance.[15]- just saying. Ill admit admit to my problem. I have lots of other hobbies and non of the others demand I attend to them at certain intervals. collecting pipes and tobacco? Ok I'll concede maybe a "hobby" start setting fire to them. Different arena imho

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Meditational, obsessive, ritualistic, traditional, and probably much more.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
In addition to a lot of the awesome responses on here, I'd say that I enjoy pipe smoking as a social activity. I've had some of the best conversations of my life in smoking lounges with fellow smokers who, up to that point, were complete strangers.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
For me, it's a reward... :D Go out for a walk at lunch? Reward myself by lunting! End of a long week? Reward myself with a bowl (or two) either at the local B&M or on my back patio. Actually getting around to yard work? Reward myself by breaking out a cob and something I haven't smoked in a while.
You get the idea. It's one advantage to being only an occasional smoker - it becomes an occasion when I have the opportunity!

Status
Not open for further replies.