Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

What Tobacco to Look Out For?

(35 posts)
  1. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Was wondering, besides Penzance and Stonehaven, which are the hard to find tobaccos to keep an eye out for not only online but at the b&M's?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Kinda depends on what the shopper enjoys. The blends Joe loves can often be those Jack will pass on.

Many Samuel Gawith blends are popular. As are certain Dan blends. Some McClelland, particularly old McClelland (an older tin of Christmas Cheer would make my day). Any old Dunhill, old Peterson, old A&C Peterson, Edgeworth (unlikely to find, but you never know).

Scrounging around in B&Ms can be fun -- and informative, if you have your smart phone with you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Let's just say I enjoy most and looking for specific names here so thanks for the ones listed!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This is sad, but the "rare" tobaccos are growing in rare brands, thus becoming ever harder to find. It's sort of like antique pickers -- there's a ton of knowledgeable folks out there just looking for "vintage" tobaccos. Not surprising when a tin of an old Dunhill blend sells for $50 and up with certain others going for much higher than that. We still hear stories now though about how some lucky puffer found this brand new pipe for 25% of its value or some old out of production tobacco tins with the old 10 year old price still on them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Not sure how that helps any, prob because it doesn't

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mctrav:

I'm not sure I understand your original question. . . It doesn't take much time to discover if a blend you enjoy happens to be one of those in perpetually short supply. (I happen to be one of the unfortunate ones who loves Penzance. . . and, now, Stonehaven too!) But the in-stock issue changes over time. When I started smoking Penzance in 2004, I had no trouble ordering it whenever I wanted it or finding stacks of tins on the shelves of a B&M. Eight years later, the situation is markedly different. That's my round-about way of saying that if you love a blend, stock up; don't wait for it to make some list of "fabled" blends that are hard to find.

But I'm not entirely sure that's why you're asking this question. I can't help wondering if what you're really asking is: "What should I be stocking up on now, so that I can resell it down the road?" Otherwise, it seems odd that you'd want to stock up on blends you haven't tried or don't already enjoy. . . unless you're just wanting to play the odds and be prepared with stock in case you do end up liking a yet-untried blend in the future. Care to clarify?

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really?.?.

Find one or two you like and start looking for them, if you can't find them they probably belong on your list.

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think he was inquiring about popular or heavily sought after tobaccos.

You can hop onto smokingpipes.com and they will list their top 10 sellers for you.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You'll need to keep an eye out for Samuel Gawith blends.
    They are a small producer and have (relatively)small runs.
    Mi favrito... Samuel Gawith Grousemoor
    I usually only see it available once or twice a year.

T minus TWO

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Really?.?.

Find one or two you like and start looking for them, if you can't find them they probably belong on your list.

Yep, as I said in my original reply, and what others underlined for you in their posts here, that's pretty much where the cat pooped in the buckwheat, d00d.

But as Bob says, unless you're looking to make money off selling hard-to-find pipe tobacco, it's probably best to aim for the "rare" blends you enjoy. For example, I wouldn't piss on Penzance if it were on fire; FVF isn't close to my favorite SG; Grousemoor gags me. But hey, there's thousands of different blends and millions of pipe puffers out there and none of either are exactly the same.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try not to help perpetuate the "rare tobacco" industry myself. If I have a tin of old tobacco, I either smoke it, give it to someone who will smoke it, or trade it for something I like better to someone who'll smoke it. I won't pay more than going retail rate for tobacco, no matter it's age. Not saying it's wrong, just that it isn't worth it to me.

As for the popular and hard-to-find tobaccos, I feel like if I can't get something when I'm ready to buy it, I don't need it. I'd rather make do with something I find enjoyable and have easy access to than to wait for days or weeks (or months) to be allowed the privilege of purchasing something I like quite alot that's in short supply and high demand. I've spent most of my life going without one thing or another, won't kill me to keep doing it

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Sorry for being vague, just looking for certain blends like Penzance and Stonehaven that If I stumble upon it would be wise to purchase. And it is for me, I have no desire to resell any tobacco. And like I stated above, I'm game for any kind really, haven't tried a blend I hatedm

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

Maybe I can help a little. I would suggest that if you see these brands/blends then buy them now.
    Butera Kinfisher
    Astley's #44
    JF Germain Brown Flake
    Balkan Sobranie
    Just my two cents worth. Good Luck

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Very cool thanks for those blends, my local b&m always gets some strange blends some blah but others are diamonds

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was going to let this slide without a mention, but what the hell...

mctrav, that tone is not going to do you any favours. That is how you respond to someone who is antagonizing you, not to someone who just provided you with multiple helpful leads.

No hard feelings, it just came off as rather dismissive to me - I thought the post you were referring to was quite constructive and on topic...

There are legions of guys (including most of the people on these forums) that spend countless hours tracking down these vintage tobaccos and many of them are first in line for the hard-to-get blends from the etailers and consignment shops because they have signed up for notifications or cultivated relationships with the owners.

Even the odds of you walking in on a motherlode of aged tobacco in some dusty B&M slims every day as people are becoming more informed about what is valuable and what is not, what is well-acclaimed and what is not... It may still be possible in some parts of the country but by and large somebody has been there before you to retrieve the "gems".

rmbittner has the best advice here: "That's my round-about way of saying that if you love a blend, stock up; don't wait for it to make some list of 'fabled' blends that are hard to find."

In response to your question, though, the others have answered it pretty well. Samuel Gawith and Esoterica lead the pack as far as rare still-in-production blends go. Discontinued blends are probably too numerous to mention, but everyone has made a valiant effort of it for you so far...

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry but I'm not going to go into detail about current-production blends that are hard to find. That question just rubs me the wrong way. But as for discontinued blends. . .

The king of all sought-after blends is the original Balkan Sobranie from the 1970s (and earlier). I would put Bengal Slices from that same era in the same boat, since it was originally the flake version of Balkan Sobranie. You can pay upwards of $500/tin for original-production Sobranie.

An original tin of Craven's Mixture (probably circa 1950s) would definitely be worth acquiring. It inspired one of the classic books related to pipe smoking, J.M. Barrie's My Lady Nicotine. And many men in Barrie's circle regarded it very highly.

John Cotton #2.

Dunhill blends from the 1980s and earlier. (You'll need to do your homework to be able to identify tins from Dunhill's major eras.) Any Dunhill blend that is no longer being produced (Elizabethan Mixture, Durbar, The Aperitif, etc.)

Any Rattray's tins produced by Rattray's themselves (probably 1970s and earlier). A tin of Black Mallory recently sold on eBay for just $51, so they are definitely still affordable.

The G.L. Pease Syrians: Bohemian Scandal, Raven's Wing, Renaissance, and Mephisto. These were discontinued in 2004 when the extraordinary Syrian latakia used in the blends was lost in a warehouse fire. (The same Syrian was also used in some now-discontinued Cornell & Diehl blends; Pease and C&D shared the warehouse that was destroyed.) These crop up often on eBay and tend to go for around $50/tin. And I would say that Bohemian Scandal tends to be the most highly valued of the four. (As it should be; it's a phenomenal blend that tastes like nothing else out there.)

Finally, any Virginia-dominant blend that has more than a decade on it would be collectible, in my opinion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry but I'm not going to go into detail about current-production blends that are hard to find. That question just rubs me the wrong way

Why?
    Just curious..

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Because there's a sneaking suspicion that people will buy up that tobacco just to hold on to it and re-sell it for a profit at a later date becase they can't figure out how the stock market works.

That's the only reason I could think of. Very "Scumbag Steve".

Instead I can just say that penzance tastes like #%^&#%^*&%^$%^##$%2%#$@7^*(^&$%

And then buy it all up after I've pursuaded people to hate it. Yum. ^_^

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

If you read my response to an earlier reply I did say that they are for MY stock. I have no interest on reselling anything in my cellar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Simoneon..reading your post in reply to my curt response I had to take another look as to why I replied that way originally. I actually misread rothnh's post. I took it initially as a jab at my intentions but that doesn't seem to be the case, so for that I do apologize. But before that I did thank him for the couple of blends he named for me. Glad you called me on that as it was uncalled for.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris:

I replied via PM.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been on the lookout for tobaccos by Dan. I remember reading something not too long ago that they were putting some of their long lost blends back into production like Midnight Ride and Old Ironsides, and all that stuff is sold out at every retailer I look at and hasnt been back in stock for weeks. I have been looking for some Old Ironsides, Bill Baileys Balkan Blend, and Treasures of Ireland-Limerick. Those are the last blends on my TAD list and I cant find them anywhere, so if anyone knows where these can be found please let me know, since were on the topic of hard-to-find tobaccos.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@McTrav

I was replying to Chris.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Treasures of Ireland-Limerick

This is the one Dan tobacco I enjoy. Think of it as Orlik Golden Sliced with a touch more Perique. A bit sharp fresh, much better aged a couple years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

FWIW, I'm really not into scouring the internet and calling every B&M in the Country to find that illusive tin or 250g bag of pipe tobacco blend and it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay $50 for a tin of tobacco.

There's just too many great tobacco blends out there right now that I love. My bucket list is filled with even more great blends, all (except for the occasional and usually short time out-of-stock items) are readily available and all, IMO, at quite reasonable prices.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I look for what I'm ageing, and that's a problem because so are many others. The three I watch for:

SG BBF, FVF and SJF. Sometimes you have to shop around the smaller internet stores, and even then they can get illusive. For example I just recently saw SG SJF come on P&C, which I check almost every day looking for it. I put in my order for a pound, which should have been one box, but got a half with two other quarters added to it. I could tell because they didn't line up, and an apology note about not having the box. When I had checked the site an hour or so later thinking about upping the order it was listed out of stock.

The best things are those you like most of all.

But if you plan on ageing rather than storing, VA is all that ages. So when you get into blends, check and see if there's a good amount of VA if your ageing. Aromatics and those with low VA may have some blending changes over the years, mainly a mellowing due to loss of flavor *ducks*

If you’re B&M hunting always see if there is anything that has a few or more years on it. Even with the Nazi's at the door, aged tobacco has already gained in value.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If you’re B&M hunting always see if there is anything that has a few or more years on it. Even with the Nazi's at the door, aged tobacco has already gained in value.

Anyone doing this really has to know his/her sh!t.

"Is that the Murray's label on that Peterson's tin?"

"There's a lot of dust on it, but what's the date code on that tin of Escudo?"

"When did Dunhill cease making Light Flake?"

"How old is that Elizabethan and is it any good?"

It's heavy lifting. The lah-de-dah approach won't work, nor is it something someone else can do for you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to remind everyone that their "tobacco hunting" methodology is by definition their own, an no-one's "best practices" will work for everyone else.

This was the original question:

Was wondering, besides Penzance and Stonehaven, which are the hard to find tobaccos to keep an eye out for not only online but at the b&M's?

For me that's pretty straight forward.
    Therefore; I replied with Samuel Gawith Grousemoor.
    I recommended that for two reasons:
    1st) It's a blend that many English/Balkan lovers enjoy thoroughly.
    2nd) Because it's usually only available once or twice a year.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Lawrence that's pretty much, and by that I mean exactly what I was looking for with this thread. Its funny how interpretations are made and variations are spun off topic.. Waayy off topic. Just looking for names that's all. If my b&m had a bag of stone haven and I didn't know its rarity I wouldn't think twice about snatching it up. I don't need a thread on "what you like differs from others", or someone trying to analyze my intentions. Sometimes its just as simple as it appears. Just looking for some names. I must say I did get a list but also some unnecessary drama and personal points of view, save that for another thread.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man these threads can weave like a 90 year old women making a sweater...

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If my b&m had a bag of stone haven and I didn't know its rarity I wouldn't think twice about snatching it up.

I must just have some kind of mental block about this. And I apologize. But I just can't grasp how Stonehaven's rarity makes it more desirable for you, when you've never tried it and have no idea whether or not you even like it. You could end up with a dozen tins of stuff in your cellar that you don't actually like once you get around to smoking it. When, alternatively, you could be seeking out blends similar to those you already know you enjoy and stocking up on them -- which may or may not lead you to Stonehaven and other hard-to-find blends.

But I'm clearly not on the same page with you here. So I'll bow out of the discussion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. vespertillio

vespertillio

Login to Send PM

I can see this another way. As so many folks here love it, but it is so hard to find, it may be good if someone finds it and is then able to trade for another perhaps hard to find blend that another may have. It would be a win-win I think. One gets their favorite and the other gets a chance to try a blend they might not have tried before. Just a thought.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Rmbittner its all good and let me see if I can shed light on what i'm trying to accomplish here. First I'm not looking to buy 30 find of something I have never tried only trying to keep ,my eyes out for the hard to get and snatch up a tin if its available so I may try them. Granted it may be in vain as I may not enjoy them but hey that's part of pipe smoking. Second, I already cellar all the blends that I know I enjoy. A tobaccos rarity doesn't make it more desirable to obtain rather if its available to get why not. Like I said earlier, I may be at a b&m and pass on Penzance and buy cbw if I didn't realize that "hey I can get cbw at a rite aid and Penzance I may never find again. That's it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mctrav,

As I said, no hard feelings. I thought the comment was out of line in relation to roth's post, there's no more to it than that. A few of us gave you advice - perhaps advice that you were not looking for, but advice nonetheless - and sometimes that is more valuable than a direct answer. Anyway, I made the point I wanted to make. I personally was not concerned with your (or anyone else's) intentions about purchasing those blends - I was just trying to hammer home the merits of stocking up on what you like instead of hunting the rarities.

I hope you find some of those hard-to-find tobaccos in your travels. Cheers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

I might just add that Limerick is available again as I just purchased 2 lbs meself.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   joemcdds, pruss, bigvan, torque