-Penzance

-FVF

-Burley London Blend

-Scotty's Butternut Burley

-Plum Pudding

-Tinder Box Syrian

-Tinder Box Mature VA

-Molto Dolce

I'd also take a suggestion for a mixture of any of these. Just trying to have some fun with my choices, I get a little tired of choosing sometimes...tough I know haha

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Man I miss plum pudding. I would smoke that one. Or Penzance. I haven't had any of the others though.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I layer Molto and Penzance. I enjoy it however it is not always recieved in the most positive of lights. However you can never go wrong puffing on Butternet Burley all day. I smoke more of that than everything else combined.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Awesome well I've only tried the Penzance once and found it to be so so. I think I'll try it by itself in a different pipe and see if it's better...if not I'll mix it with the Molto or Butternut Burley. Thanks guys :) Lawrence I saw a tin of that at the B&M awhile back but their tins are around $20 to $25....I got some bulk FVF for $4/Oz. Maybe I'll get a chance to try it soon.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tjameson, is the bulk FVF you have fairly thick strips? If they are, I would suggest rubbing them out instead of cube cut or fold and stuff. I have bulk FVF and have found because the strips are so thick that the cube cut isn't burning that great, I went back to rubbing that one out. It is weird because my tinned FVF took to the cube cut quite well.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
You're spot on with that one Cigrmaster. I've had the best success and flavor rubbing the bulk out or letting it dry quite a bit and then folding the flake with the grain so I get strands and pack those loosely in the bowl straight up and down like this (!!!) it's surprising how many different techniques work for flakes that almost mysteriously burn. I haven't tried cube cutting this bulk. I had a strange experience cube cutting Marlin Flake that made it taste like rotting fruit but it was fantastic rubbed out or folded and stuffed. The best part about flakes for me is being able to control the burn because I always have to smoke outside and it is very windy out which can make for some frustrating smokes with ribbon cuts.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Looks like you have found your sweet spot with the flakes, good for you. It is amazing at how many different ways you can prepare them and how some do so much better with certain techniques. Smoking outside with ribbons is real tough, they burn so quickly that you are always in jeopardy of having a burn out. I was outside walking one of my dogs yesterday and the wind was really blowing, I had to put my thumb in my pipe to stop it from burning and put it in my pocket. It got heated up so damn quick because of the wind and I had flake in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.