What to Smoke in a Ropp Cherrywood Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timcanny

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
Philadelphia
I got a sweet un-smoked Ropp cherrywood pipe at the most recent Columbus pipe show and am wondering what recommendations anyone might have on what tobacco is best to smoke in such a pipe. I'm mostly a Virginia and Mild Aromatic tobacco smoker though I've had luck with blending over-the-counter burley blends with bulk cavendish as well. I haven't had any luck with English blends as they always seem to taste soapy to me. So, any recommendations for my first smoke in a cherry wood? Thanks in advance for taking the time.

timcanny

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
Philadelphia
Here's a pic of the Ropp pipe along with the rest of my haul from the Columbus pipe show.
10179847775_ffa4bfc43b_o.jpg

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Nice Aquisition you have there, as far as what to smoke in the Ropp; you can smoke whatever blend suits your fancy. If it were me, I would smoke a nice burley blend out of it. :puffy:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
The cherrywood might toss in a bit of that sweetness, at least at first before you get a cake. A bland burley or VA might set it off best. I haven't tried Lats in either of mine yet, but one day, when I get up the nerve...
hp

les

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Nice acquisition! Ropp cherry woods are really rare these days, and an unsmoked one is a treasure indeed.
I would recommend McClelland's McRaspberry for your new pipe. It's the only fruit-flavoured aromatic I've found that really delivers on its promise. I smoke it in my cherry wood (a Mr Brog) and the combination of the sweet wood and the tobacco is heavenly. :puffy:

timcanny

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
Philadelphia
Thanks for the input guys. I will have to think on it some more but that McClelland's McRaspberry sure sounds enticing 4dotsasieni.
Shaintiques, I hadn't seen that kind of cherrywood Ropp before so I jumped at the chance to get it since I had been thinking about getting a Ropp at some point. It was part of a bunch of estate pipes someone was selling and they had a very similar one with a round shank that had been smoked but not much. I feel like kicking myself that I didn't pick that one up as well but I was trying to be frugal.

timcanny

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
Philadelphia
Petes03, I bought mine from a guy who was selling off his recently deceased friend's collection of pipes as a favor to his friend's wife who inherited them. I got it for $15 bucks but I'm not sure how that relates to its market value. I could have bought a similar one that was already used (at least once) for the same price but I passed on it since I hadn't seen all the tables at the show, was on a budget, and still had some other purchases to make. I think to those who like them they may be more valuable but I don't know how big the market is. I'd be interested to hear what anyone else knows about the market for Ropps like these or Ropps in general. One of the first pipes I bought off of eBay was a little briar Ropp. I'll have to see if I can find a photo of that one to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.