PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I've been given this little sample of raw tobacco. I don't know what type of tobacco this is and it smells like something between ammonia and sweaty feet (sorry for this one). Fortunately, I know what region it comes from and I know that they grow Virginia and Burley in that specific region, so my bet it's Virginia. I think it is not fermented, it is not even dried well. What should I do with this one? Any opinions guys? I will try to smoke some this evening and will post here.
TuKnmEu.jpg

Bd5HZvB.jpg

Knowing what type of leaf it is would help me in making a decision on what to do with it. Yeh, green tobacco smells like crap. It always made me wonder why people chose to smoke this leaf as opposed to rosemary or sage, which smells really good green and when burned on a fire. It must have been some stroke of luck that a field of dried tobacco caught on fire and made everyone dizzy and altered their consciousness, so they began growing it.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
It sounds like you have some air cured Virginia on your hands. Burley always smells good, even when curing in the barn. The leaf also looks to be a Virginia, based on its color and shape.
As for what to do with it? It probably needs some aging so you can do one of several things

1. Build a small kiln by putting a light-bulb in a box, add a thermostat set to 120 degrees and place your tobacco in a sealed jar into the box for 3 weeks.

2. Use the "Dashboard" method of aging. To do this, place your (slightly damp) tobacco into a plastic bag and lay onto the dash of your car. Let the sun shine on it for a few weeks while venting once per day.

3. Seal it in a bag for a year, checking occasionally to make sure it has not dried out.
If it is air cured Virginia it will be somewhat bland tasting compared to it's cousin the flue cured type. By air curing, all of the sugars that would normally be "set" by the high temps of flue curing will have been lost by enzymatic and bacterial action.
If you don't like the smoking quality of it you could always try your hand at making some dip.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Half the people can't see Imgur images? AFAIK, Michael, you're the only one on a limited internet connection who cannot see them. On the other hand, many folks despise photobucket. Used to be good but now is rotten.
I suppose the safest for all is this site's photo album.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Smoking that sounds very adventurous not sure even I would and I once bought an old tobacco jar it had some very old dry tobacco in it, probably Condor and I smoked that.

Could you enlighten me what's photo album and how do you use it?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OMS:
If you want to use the site's album (images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size)

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/oldmansmoking/album/picture/22325]My smoking alter [/url]

Let's try it

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/oldmansmoking/album/picture/22326]Posted it upside down[/url]

Turned picture upside down then posted it

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/oldmansmoking/album/picture/22327]Test[/url]

Not sure this will work

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
You can teach a monkey to wear glasses and smoke a pipe but try to teach it to use an IPAD might try looking for the best tobacco in the world!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You have to paste the address in the IMG box....
img_0020-600x450.jpg

Looks like this, but the img tags won't have spaces in them, [ img ]htt/pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/16774/img_0020-600x450.jpg [ / img ]

Status
Not open for further replies.