what to do with the alcohol after cleaning pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
I cleaned a couple pipes last night with House of Stuart Scotch.

Now after cleaning, the scotch looked clear. Now what did I do ?

drink or toss ? Just a question

Joe

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I put my cleaning alcohol in one of those small mini plastic bottles that mimic the real bottles and I only use it to clean. I don't drink it afterwards lol. Try to waste as little as possible!

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
House of Stuart? Yikes! Id keep that purely for cleaning purposes. Had some interesting nights involving House of Stuart... none ended well :lol:

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Rest of the story. I cut off the dirty part of the pipe cleaners as I go.

Stuarts scotch does not have a smokey after taste. Famous Grouse is my best,

next to Rye Whiskey. I have used rum but do not like to drink it but I do.

Yes I did drink after cleaning !!!!!

Lutz moonshine is no different. Made from creeks coming out of swamp cow pasture land.

Try to filter and looses a certain Lutz taste.And when i was in the Navy-Pacific and

mediterranean and went to the "Guts" Who knows what was served. Especially in Malta and

Genoa Italy where the W-houses had no roofs-window and doors.

Joe

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here in Pa we need a doctor's presciption for Everclear. So its cheap vodka and down the drain.

I do intend to ask the doc for a prescription just so I can be a pain at the state liquor store. Should be a good story.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Sorry for sounding like an ass, but uh, why on earth would you need a prescription for Everclear?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I also use everclear, but I use a shotglass full at a time and toss it when I'm done. I don't drink that stuff anyway, so technically, I could just pour it back in the bottle and re-use if it doesn't get too funked up.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
There is no way I would waste my Lagavulin on cleaning a pipe, particularly when there are better substances available. For cleaning, I go to my liquor store and buy a bottle of straight grain alcohol; it's cheaper, and because of its high alcohol content, does a far better job of cleaning a pipe. If I want to pipe to have a bit of flavor afterwards, I have been known to dip the end of a pipe cleaner in some Irish whiskey and run that through, giving it plenty of time to dry. I don't know if the liquor laws in all states allow the purchase of grain alcohol, but here in Connecticut it's perfectly legal, and since the stuff is 95% pure alcohol, it's really the best thing for cleaning out a pipe. One bottle lasts a really long time.

after you've cleaned the pipe, fill it with your favorite tobacco, and now's the time to reach for the Lagavulin. 2 ounces will do nicely, light up, sit back, puff, sip, and relax.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I pour the Everclear up in a couple of small plastic pill bottles to dip the brush or pipe cleaner in. One is to clean the brushes in. I can't imagine either of these coming out clear. I dump them in the sink when finished.
I also refrain from sucking off the dipped, used pipe cleaners. :lol:

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
If you were a Redneck Bastard you would turn that glass up and drink it. :rofl:
(Some folks here may wonder why I keep using the term Redneck Bastard, If you must know that is one of my so called nick names that I have at work that is used by several people off all nationalities, including a Canadian from Alberta that use's this as a term of endearment and the same who pinned it to me, I call Him a Canadian Asshole Bastard to make things even, So please do not take offense to this because I am the one calling myself a Redneck Bastard and no one else.) :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.