PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I have a tin of Molto Dolce, and as much as I love the taste and flavor, it is very very gooey. I kept it in the tin and When I want to smoke a bowl I take out some, whichI have to leave it out to dry, sometimes for 3 days! and then sometimes I feel it lost its flavor. Would you please let me know if there is a way I can have the whole tin dried and ready to smoke without losing the flavor?

Jan 8, 2013
That's just how Molto Dolce is. Set some aside for 15 to 30 minutes, and just go ahead and load up the bowl and enjoy the snap, crackle, pop. Smoke slowly, and enjoy.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
really?? good to know. I was under the assumption that its way too goopy to put it in the bowl and makes a mess with a very very wet smoke, so I used to religiously dry it!!!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Aromatics lose their flavour if you dry them too much. If the smoke is too wet, the use of a straight pipe and/or a pipe with a balsa filter is recommended. Cobs might also be the pipe of choice (especially if they take balsa filters).
I don't care for goopy aromatics, such as BCA, because they just won't dry (apparently). I leave them out for 30-45 min and then pack them, resigning myself to the fact that I will be relighting constantly.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I gave up on trying to dry out Molto Dolce. I enjoy the snap, crackle and pop. If I'm in the mood for an aromatic, it's either Molto Dolce or Exotic Passion.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Don't dry it out, it burns fine goopy...I'm with the snap, crackle pop gang. It adds a bit of fun to the smoke.
I refer to it as my diabetic nightmare smoke.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I dont like Balsa filters as they kind of obstruct the flow for me. Also had no idea straight pipes are better for aromatics! I thought bents are better because of a cooler smoke

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
interesting, I thought I should dry the heck of the tobacco. Is there any other aromatic blend that is gooey and doesnt need to be really dried?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Also had no idea straight pipes are better for aromatics!

Careful with hasty generalisations. I recommended a straight pipe because bent pipes tend to have the moisture accumulate in the heel and adjacent portions; hence some report that bents tend to gurgle more. If you're starting with a wet blend, or one that will generate a lot of moisture, or will be smoking in atmospheric conditions that favour moisture build-up, then you take whatever measures you need to in order to eliminate or at least ameliorate the problem. If bent pipes tend to trap moisture at the bottom, then you avoid them for those particular blends or conditions.
Same with the balsa filter: it will trap moisture; thus, if you expect lots of moisture, it's wise to use the filter. Those who are filter-averse use a pipe cleaner mid-smoke to capture the extra moisture. I've never had to do this, and I wouldn't care to import the goop from the bottom of the pipe to the mouthpiece.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I left an opened tin on my patio for over a year and a half, and it was still goopy. It's meant to be smoked wet i think. Smells like toasty marshmallows.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
interesting, I thought I should dry the heck of the tobacco. Is there any other aromatic blend that is gooey and doesnt need to be really dried?

Nope. Although the way some pipers go about drying makes me think their tobacco actually has negative relative humidity! 8O
Aromatics don't like too much drying. Englishes you can almost go bone dry.
Here's three stages of toby moisture, #2 is optimal.
#1: Right out of the tin/jar

#2: ~30 minutes later.

#3: ~1 hour later (too dry)
Goopy aromatics are usually the cheap ones that are laden with PG. Stuff like Lane's BCA, and probably a number of OTCs (I don't smoke OTCs, so please correct me if I'm wrong).
Quality aros are not goopy. The one in those videos was custom blended and it's anything but goopy. You saw what happened to it after an hour: crumbled to dust.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I had some black cavendish that would never dry out, would have to re-light it several times before the bowl would actually stay lit. I finally dumped the remainder of the dark-fired that I didn't particularly like into the black cavendish jar and its remaining contents, mixed them together, and finally was able to smoke this mixture normally. Can't say it was any great improvement taste-wise for either, though.
Caveat: I do NOT have a world-class (not even a Town of Greene Class, pop. 4096) sense of taste. Just more-or-less normal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, I've only smoked a sample sent by a member, but goopy is what Molto Dolce is. If you dry it out well, if it will ever dry out, I think you'd lose the essence of that dessert sweetness that defines the blend. It's peculiar compared to most other blends, but that's its charm, if it's charming to you. I thought it was kind of good, though I haven't ordered a tin. There may be some other aromatics that have that dramatic abundance of sweet flavoring, but I think MD is the star of such blends. Seems like it would go with dessert wine or some sherry, though I didn't try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.