What is the chimney shape pipe good for?!?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
When there was an invention, there must be the need of a certain kind. It applies to various basic shapes (not talking about the fancy freehands...)

Apple, pot, prince can be good for Latakia mixture; shape with small bowl such as bing shape or squat bulldog can be good for flake and heavy plug; large and shallow bowl shapes can be good for aromatics. But...
004-002-7341.jpg

What is this shape, the chimney, good for?

I guess only for a super loooong smoke with something that burn really well.
Does any member have some idea or experience of this shape?

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I've often wondered the same. The best I can gather would be for flakes. Anything else I've smoked in a chimney gets muddled towards the last 1/4 of the bowl.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I really love chimney shaped pipes if they are hand made and by a maker I respect. They shape has a couple of advantages that I appreciate. I am one who does not adhere to the advice that each pipe full should be smoked to the bottom of the bowl. For those who do believe that, then the chimney shape is not for them. I totally agree with codecreatively who says that when he smokes a chimney shaped pipe, the flavor of his tobacco gets muddled towards the end of the bowl. By the time one reaches the last quarter of tobacco, the leaf has had plenty of time to absorb the residue from a lot of tobacco above it. The flavor mutes, becomes harsh and strong.
The advantages that appeal to me; first, I get a very cool smoke the first two thirds of the bowl and the flavor of the leaf actually deepens (especially with Virginias). Once the "muddy" taste starts to appear, I simply dump the remaining third of the bowl, swab the pipe out by twisting a paper towel into the bottom - I do that will all my pipes after each smoke - and then set it aside for next time.
I've got a killer stack Bruce Weaver Brandy that I just can't stay away from. It smokes like a champ. And, I also own a Perry White stack Canadian shaped pipe that delivers a beautiful smoke. I do sometimes leave a little unburned tobacco at the bottom when using both, but with both of those pipes I sometimes smoke all the way to the bottom and don't even realize it.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I use my Dunhill chimney for OGS. In fact, I haven't had any for awhile. That'll have to be the next bowl I pack now.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I don't own one but just by looking at it the first thing I'd try is to fold and stuff a flake into it.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
sw0snuff3r, Only try that on a day off from work. A Chimney full of flake would give new meaning to the phrase "all day smoke".
Regarding what a Chimney is good for, I would love to fill one full of McClelland Walnut Liqueur. That is one of only a few aromatics I enjoy, and it behaves very nicely in deep bowls.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A tall more narrow bowl works excellently with a dry non-aromatic burley or variant such as Tabac Manil Semois,

that burns fairly fast. This lengthens the smoke and gives full play to the subtle complexity of this one-leaf "blend."

The three pipes I think of are a Ferndown bent billiard, a La Rocca poker, and a MIssouri Meerschaum freehand. None

of these are chimneys per se, but all have tall, deep bowls. I'd use a chimney the same way, for the same tobacco.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
When I go for walk 1 hour++ or two I usually carry my chimney with luxury bull's eye flake.

Mine is Proctus denmark. It is perfect to long hours smoking for flake.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
mso489, I agree that a Chimney would be great with a basic burley mix. I will have to try it when my McClelland X90 arrives (I ordered it based on your proselytizing on behalf of non-aromatic burleys).

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I think stacks are a greatly under appreciated shape. You just so rarely see them now. I'm definitely a fan and find I get my best results with either narrow stacks and flakes or wide bowls and ribbons when using an air pocket pack.
With an air pocket or cannonball (or whatever the popular term today is for a suspended ball of tobacco), the stack is working on the same principles as a reverse calabash. This also ameliorates soggy, wasted tobacco at the bottom of the bowl.
That said, they can be a pain to light. Singed eyebrows are a badge of honor for a stack smoker.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I bought one just for fun a couple of months ago and it turned out to be one of my best smokers.
Dotter morta:

pipe_126_01.jpg

I smoke only virginia flakes. The unusual thing is that I smoke it to the bottom every time which is not the case with other pipes. Definitely not my last chimney!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
They are good for a cake tobacco too, filled loosely. Loading it loosely I don't seem to have the problem with the bottom third.
Not a great pic, either a little underexposed or the stem needs a polish but here's one of my favorites:
zvnHEjD.jpg

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
A Master Blender told me his favorite pipes for Virginias are stacks approximately 5/8 inches wide.but honestly, this old Stanwell smokes great no matter what I load into it.

I have six stacks and chimneys, all dedicated to Virginias and VaPers. My tallest is three inches, but if I found one taller, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I am a clencher, so I prefer to load it up and savor it for a few hours, slow as possible.
The dottle is absolutely the best in these. Not foul at all. The last little bit is the yummiest part of the smoke, IMO.

Mar 1, 2014
I love the MacArthur Cob too!
I find it works especially well using the airpocket method so that the tobacco doesn't get soggy. That probably burns more completely than anything else.

I'll smoke just about anything in it, though I do think aromatics work better in a wider bowl.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I haven't tried the MacArthur yet but I have several Freehands. I also have the General, essentially a slightly shorter MacArthur. I love cobs and the Freehand and General are my favorites followed by the Patriot and Mark Twain. I make a point of smoking new tobaccos in different pipes but I haven't documented the results very well. I'm going to have to start making notes on which pipe handles each tobacco the best.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't have a chimney in my collection yet but I really like the unique look they have and will probably add one to the collection at one point or another. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.