PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
The intro to every show says, "The smoking lamp is lit!" What I want to know is: what kind of lamp? Does Brian actually use one of alcohol lamps (Lampe Berger)? I've always assumed those were more for perfuming than anything else...
Inquiring minds (or at least one) want to know.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Now that's an interesting piece of military history, I always assumed it had to do with the commercial aviation lights at the fore of the plane, the captain has extinguised the smoking light(planes used to have those right? up next to the seatbelt lights?) Never figured a bunch of squids for having to observe light discipline but I suppose it makes sense.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's a cool little bit of history, didn't know that but I read about a shop that does that in new york and that's how their guests light up

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
It was still in use while I was in the Navy in 2001, though it was just a red light and not a burning lamp at that point. They used it to close the smoking deck if we were under light discipline conditions (depending upon what part of the world we were sailing through, Straight of Hormuz entering the Persian Gulf off the southern coast of Iran in my experience) or if we were taking on jet fuel durring underway replenishments for obvious reasons. In addition to closing the smoke deck durring happy hour, which is an hour of all-hands housekeeping the ship underwent everyday. It was always a dreaded announcement and the place would get crowded as I'll get out just before and immediately after as all the smokers went looking for their fix (myself included). The Navy as with most service branches, is very fond of nostalgic terminology and tradition. It's a nice way of showing respect for and reminding the present of those who went before. Now if you'll excuse me I need to grab some geedunk to see me through this scuttlebutt session, mind the scupper and have a great weekend all!

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"Isn't the Army equivalent "Smoke 'em if ya got 'em"? Is that still in use?"
I don't know whether the U.S. Army uses that (I've served in the I.D.F.), but it was quite a bit in use on cigar forums when I used to post on them. It was typically quoted by those who smoked cigarettes or cheap, non-Cuban cigars.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Very interesting. I assumed it was meant to be like the old "on air" radio signs. Like when the podcast goes on the air, the light goes on and smoking is now permitted....

intrepid721

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2013
Thornton, Colorado
Coalsmoke, General quarters was definitely a hair raiser, though it just meant an hour or so of boredom for folks in squadrons since we just mustered in the shop and stayed out of the way of ships company for the most part. Flight deck drills are what made me cringe the most. "RIG THE BARRIER" just set everyone into a panic. Good times all in all though, I can tell you one thing I sure do miss being at sea. Smoke 'em if you got 'em I'm sure is still in play. What, other than ruck sacks and rifles, is more synonymous with soldiers than smoking I couldn't tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.