What should I blend to make this natural aromatic taste more mellow?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I have a half-pound of H&H Classic Burley Kake, and a couple ounces of C&D Autumn Evening, both which are burley/cav blends, and they taste similar. The taste is not what I expected after years of smoking what I thought was a similar blend from B&M, where their standout product mixes 3 types of burley with their own cavendish. It's not a candy aromatic, it's full-flavored but with a mellow tobacco taste by comparision to Burley Kake and Autumn Evening. On account of the unsustainable cost of buying B&M tobacco at New York prices and taxes, I am looking for a match to this great blend in the commercial online market, but so far I haven't found it. The blends I have from H&H and C&D have similar descriptions to the B&M blend which I'm looking to replace in my rotation, but the cavendish flavor is much stronger, and tastes more like licorice to me than the chocolate and maple which was promised. Licorice tends to be my impression with other cavendish blends which I've tried, which I sort of like when it doesn't take the lead. Therefore, I want to mellow that taste out. Would it work if I mixed in some more burley? Should I get some white mixing burley, or would darker burley do more to offset the cavendish flavor without reducing the total flavor?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For burley to mix with other tobaccos, I usually use Lanes Burley Without Bite. It's flavorful but mild and I think will subdue your mix. If that doesn't work, or you have some other burley on hand, try around. C&D has some good burley, but Dark Burley, for example, is pretty strong and isn't going to mellow out the mix. What you've described here is a typical tinkering project. I'd do mixing in a small bowl, a few pipe bowls at a time, until you get the proportions the way you like them, to taste.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
+1. Carter Hall is my go-to mixer of choice. If you want less nuttiness, stay off the forum...er, ah, Freudian slip. I meant, if you want less nuttiness, try the Lane Ready Rubbed that recently came out.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
You can use unflavored Cavendish, available at very reasonable prices, at many of the online pipe tobacco dealers listed in the Site Sponsors column. Sometimes found by searching for Blending Tobacco on their site.
Burley-based or even Virginia-based Cavendish is often treated with sugar water and toasted until the sugar caramelizes and the tobacco is almost black.

Moderate in nicotine, average burn rate.

• In Latakia blends it will mellow the flavor.

• In Virginia or Virginia/Perique blends it adds a warm softness.

• In Burley blends it can sweeten without adding flavoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.