PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhunden

Lurker
Sep 25, 2018
Can anyone help ID the pipe in this photo. The pic is of General Chesty Puller in Civvies, probably after his retirement from the Marine Corps. Just curious what kind of pipe it is and if they are still available somewhere. Thanks for the help.
screen-shot-2019-01-11-at-21947-pm-568x600.png

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
It looks like it could be a Dr. Grabow, or a KBB or Kaywoodie, or some other North American made pipe. It's hard to tell because the mark on the stem is not defined enough to discern the exact shape.

teufelhunden

Lurker
Sep 25, 2018
Yes sir, I see the similarity. The bowl in the pic looks more billiard in shape to me than the one you have. I also found a Kaywoodie that was very similar. You are right, the logo on the stem is not clear enough to discern. Also hard to tell if the finish is smooth or rough.

teufelhunden

Lurker
Sep 25, 2018
Kinda hoping someone might have read somewhere if Chesty had an affinity towards any certain brand of pipe. More than likely an American made pipe as you stated. Since he passed away in 1971 a Kaywoodie would certainly fit the time frame. The first photo of him smoking a pipe was taken in the early 1920's I think. It too looked like a straight billiard but that photo was way to grainy to help.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, I didn't have a pic of the LHS Warwick Line's billiard shape so I just used the first one I did find, an apple, but all the straight shapes in that line would have looked very similar up until the bowl. Sorry I couldn't give you any definitive insight, I just like this sort of detective work and figured I'd look around for similar looking pipes.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Sorry, can't help you with the pipe but I found this little bit of information on what he probably smoked inside that pipe.
What did he smoke in that pipe?
Being the long time pipe smoker I am, I had to ask. So I went straight to the source, Col. Jon T. Hoffman, author of the book CHESTY, The story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, and his response was...
As I expected, Bill Dabney (Gen Puller's son-in-law and a pipe smoker himself) had a ready answer:
Although he would smoke any tobacco that came to hand, when I met in in '57 and therafter 'til he died, given the choice, he smoked Prince Albert. You'll remember it came in a pocket-sized tin can.
Glad to be of assistance.

Semper Fi,

Jon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At first glance, I saw the logo as a Kaywoodie, which at the time was the Cadillac pipe, higher priced than Dunhill at the time, and American (as in U.S.) made, in keeping with this military man's identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.