What Pipe Brand Most Consistently Makes a Great Smoking Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
I realize this has more than an ounce of subjective opinion.

But is there a brand among the many amazing makers that, as a rule, are “always” going to handle various tobacco types extremely well?

And with relatively reasonable pricing. To me that would be $250 or so. +/- $100

I once received an unexpected bonus and bought a $450 Dunhill. Worst smoking pipe ever! All ass flavor all the time.

I personally have several Danish made Stanwell’s that every one of my most memorable smokes have occurred in.

I once had a Karl Erik freehand that was amazing. It suffered a catastrophic fall though. Tear forms.

So guys and gals, if you could only buy and have one pipe, what would it be and why?

Direct influence on my PAD!

Thank you in advance for spending my “extra” funds that I don’t have to pay bills with!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Neerup, Stanwell and Savinelli pipes have never let me down. I own 7 Neerups, 13 Stanwell’s and 6 Savinelli’s all of which are amazing smokers. I don’t own any BriarWorks but I think they would probably make it in that category as well.
Sorry, I’m not going to play the, “if you could only buy one pipe” game because I would never just buy one pipe and I don’t think anyone on these forums could narrow it down to just one brand or one pipe.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would have to go with Castello as number 1. Other than Artisan pipes, I think they're in a league all their own. I'd probably rank Radice in second but there are a host of Italian pipe brands that are right there.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
For every 20 replies, you'll get 25 answers.
Play around with the pipe locator tool on smokingpipes. There are lots of filters available and it can be an education unto itself.
It sounds like you miss your old Karl Erik freehand. A quick search shows that you can get two of them for that amount of cash easily on Milan Tobacconist's website. They are also a forum sponsor.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Didn't care much for Dunhill either have owned three and all were poorly drilled. My suggestions would be Don Carlos, Il Duca, L' Anatra, Savinelli, and Ser Jacopo.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Very Subjective Question but If I were condemned to only buy Pipes from one company ever again, it would propably be Savinelli. Usualy Price and performance is exactly on point and you find something from cheap low grades for everyday smokes to your 500$ Luxury Pipe.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I've had universal good luck with falcon stems and bowls but then being 'industrial' it's hardly surprising but I'll be the first to admit they're not everyone's cup of tea.

Mar 29, 2016
An estate GBD or unsmoked if you're lucky. All of mine smoke well and some make a mixture sing. Look for Pedigree, Virgin, Prodigy, New Era and Prehistoric grades.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
I’ll second pre 1980 GBD’s, solid smokers. Savinelli is a solid bet too, as are MM cobs.

It's really hard to tell. When there are a million pipes by a brand, and I may only have twenty of them, I am judging a whole continent by visiting one city.

There has only been one company that has sent me pipes that appalled me that their craftsmanship was so shabby, and to keep from seeming like I am bad mouthing them, I will only say that it was one of the Irish pipe companies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And with relatively reasonable pricing. To me that would be $250 or so. +/- $100
I'd go for a high grade estate, and that'd include Dunhill, Castello, Savinelli, Barling, and a ton of artisan carvers.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
If the answer has to be a "brand", then the answer is Castello, for sure. I've moved about 50 pipes in and out of here over the last 10 years. I am down to 1 Peterson (having ditched a pile that weren't as good) and a handful of Castellos, all of which are very good.
That said, this whole "what pipe smokes good" thing is WHY people line up for artisan pipes. I've had guys buy a pipe from me and email a week or two later, actually angry at how good it smokes compared to their other (almost always non-artisan produced) pipes. And this isn't to brag - my friends in the pipe making world have all experienced this to some degree or another. People can't believe how good a briar pipe can smoke if it's made well from good stuff.
Other people can't find a difference between a corn cob and a Castello, so there ya go... it is a pretty subjective experience.
So my answer is "Castello" - that's the "brand" I find makes excellent, consistent smokers. But I can name you a half dozen people off the top of my head that make better stems and pipes that smoke as well or better, in around that same price point, let's say between 300 and 400 bucks. Ryan Alden, Scottie Piersel, Clark Layton, Nate King, Micheal Addis, if I thought some more I could cook up another batch.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Oh, gosh. I can't limit to just one. The narrowest I can make it is pre-Cadogan Comoys & GBDs, Nordings, Savinellis, & absolutely Caminettos. All of all of those have been stellar for me, always.
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have much experience with high end, but the Ferndown, Ser Jacopo, and higher end Nordings are all good, as single pipes. With low and mid-priced brands, I've had consistent luck with ones mentioned in above posts -- Savinelli, Stanwell, Nording, Peterson, Missouri Meerschaum with acrylic bits, Johs, and some standard French pipes including BC, Chacom, and Genod. I've had good smoking from others, but as with the high end pipes, I have only single examples from which to judge. My go-to N.C. carver sells only at limited venues, not online, but I have enjoyed his pipes, Jerry Perry, in briar, Mountain Laurel, and one in Cocobolo.

Status
Not open for further replies.