PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So I'm very interested in buying a Meer, but it will be the first one I've ever had. I really like the way some of them look and want to buy one new to color it myself. The cost of most has me a little anxious about purchasing one for so much with it being the first one that I own. Mostly, I'm afraid I'll mess it up. So is there any recommendations for something on the cheaper side that I can explore with first, or just buy what I like and hope that I don't screw it up?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Yeah, me too.... :puffy:
Still doing my research.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would go with a meer lined briar first. Not as expensive, you get the meer smoking experience, and nearly everyone scorches the rim of their first meer.

Jan 8, 2013
This one!!!! :mrgreen:
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lion-in-Eagles-Claw-Carved-by-KUDRET-Meerschaum-Pipe-in-a-fitCase-8117/142545827724?hash=item213064b78c:g:CE4AAOSw4PxZ6ted:sc:USPSPriority!76137!US!-1

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
@anthony Ha! Oh yeah! That puppy looks like it belongs in a museum, for starters. I can't believe the price tag on that beast! $1,650! Does it smoke the tobacco for you? :rofl:
For that price, I want the lion to breathe fire, or at least smoke...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Go to Smokingpipes and look at their turkish estates. Get one for $50 and see if you like it, then see where you want to go from there...

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Ive bought a few Meerschaums in the last month, and I would suggest keeping an eye on AKB Meerschaum at SPC. They have been selling some smaller pieces for about 45$ that are very nice(at least to me).

Since then Ive bought two more estates. One great, the other not so much. The not so good one, was a $50 estate that was horribly caked with 1-Q or something with vanilla. Instead of being disheartened about the experience, i started working on sanding out the cake and figured that it will be a good pipe to learn meer maintenance. And if the vanilla taste doesnt go away, then it will be dedicated to 1776 Flake.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't understand the hesitation of buying a meerschaum or the thought of screwing up the pipe??? It's a pipe, just like a briar, a morta, a cob etc. but only made from meerschaum. Just buy one you like and enjoy it just as if it was a briar. There is no right or wrong way with a meerschaum pipe and there is no right or wrong type of meerschaum pipe; though I would avoid pressed meerschaum pipes. Any good vendor will have block meerschaum.
As I mentioned in the other similar thread, I have 18 meerschaum pipes from a variety of makers with a variety of tenon/mortise setups. They all smoke a bit different, but they all smoke great. I smoke mine in the heat, in the cold, in the shop, on the patio and/or at the park. I travel with mine as well. I handle mine just as if it was a briar, and treat them just like any other pipe. If you try to be extra cautious with the pipe you'll be more likely to probably drop the pipe and break it. Like I said, just buy one you like and enjoy it. You'll be glad you did.

Reactions: Piping Abe

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I handle mine just as if it was a briar, and treat them just like any other pipe.
+1
Seems to be a common misconception that meers must be handled with extreme care and are somehow high maintenance compared to briars. IMO the opposite is true...they are lower maintenance because they don’t require the rest periods that briars do and don’t ghost near as easily. And I’ve never had any issues handling them the same as briars.

Reactions: Piping Abe

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I handle all my pipes with reasonable care so the meers are treated the same and no problems. I would suggest buying a new one though since one estate I bought had the worst ghosting I have ever come across!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Those misconceptions that they are delicate hot house flowers that need light handling is maybe what turns new pipe smokers away from Meers in the first place.
My one and only Meerschaum is my often mentioned Straumbach bent billiard. It smokes wonderfully, and needs no more cleaning and maintenance than any of my briars. Its colouring reasonably well considering how infrequently I can bring her out.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Every meerschaum is unique. I’ve had some “name” meers that weren’t so great, and some “budget” meers that were awesome. In my experience, the most consistently superior meerschaums were the ones crafted by Mr. Baki.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>" why does the lion have an ice cream cone on its head?" -- Heck with the hat, what *I* wanna know is how do you fill/light the freaking thing, & can I eat the ice cream while I have the hat off?
In point of act, meers *are* a little more fragile than briar, but not *that* much. The main things to watch out for are to not knock/tap ashes out, & make sure your hands are clean (warmth from smoking *will* cause a certain amount of beeswax to rub off), but some uncarved designs don't have a major problem with that, *&* you can always hold it by the stem or else use a clean cloth if you want to hold the bowl.
The main ones to watch out for for fragility are the smaller ones, since their tenons are weaker than those on larger ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.