What Makes Dunhill RY Such A Nic Monster?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I am pretty sure I have smoked Virginia pipe tobacco every which way there is. What makes RY such a nic monster? I mean are they adding nicoteen to it? I can't figure out what makes it so much higher in nicoteen than every other blend I have had. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
(Edited title, please see rule number 9.

Thank you, Robert.)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It uses different african Virginia's which have alot more nicotine than american Va's.

Dec 24, 2012
My general understanding is the same as Andy's. The Murray era stuff is basically black out of the tin and tastes more like burley to me than a typical US Va.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The current version is a medium to light brown and tastes nothing like burley. It also tastes nothing like a straight VA or VA-Per, and it's not the casing I'm talking about. RY is an enigma, that's for sure.

There is one Virginia strain that permeates what most of us think of as a Virginia tobacco, and that is Virginia Gold all from the same seed stock. This one is the most prevalent because of it's use in the cigarette industry, and seed stock is cheap and readily available. However, the category of Virginia is actually a derivative of Orinocos, a naturally aromatic plant. These range from very perfumy to rank in flavors. And, some very pungent Orientals comes from these varieties. The African, darker, or a few other various strains are all in the same family, but have deeper nicotine content and flavor. A Virginia smoker is usually one who explores these various strains. But, with the industry culling it down to just Virginia Gold seed stock... we pretty much just know one plant nowadays.
The varieties used in RY is of the darker strains. However, I am letting my curiosity guide me through trying other Orinocos and the darker strains in the garden. There has to be more to life than just Virginia Gold. :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cosmic, does RY really deserve such an impressive post? You could have just said they add nicotine just like the cigarette industry does to their foul products. There is a reason this blend is called Royal Yuck. :lol:

Ha, so you're one of them Virginia Gold guys, Harris. No strong GH&co ropes or Royal Yachts with "manly" Virginias for you? And, by manly I mean, you know... not that girls cannot smoke them... or that only some sort of false bravado or ball scratching gender role thing... But, that these Virginias have a penis.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
hqdefault.jpg

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I must have grown desensitized to niconite... A lot of people seem to feel this is a really high-nic blend, and although certainly stout, I don't find it'll knock me on my ass, even on an empty stomach.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I have come to really enjoy RY. I know others disagree, but to me it has a more Burley character than a VA. As far as the nic goes, I would not call it a monster, but suitable enough to satisfy the craving.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
First, what it tastes like to anyone else doesn't mean squat to me. Taste is subjective, which is why some people like Brussels Sprouts and some don't.
Second, I didn't say it "tasted" like Burley, I said it had a Burley like character. Rich and full with more bass notes and lacking the commonly known VA sweetness. That's simply my observation. You don't need to like it, I don't need to care. :wink:

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
To be sure, RY is one of my favorite blends. However it is the only blend I have smoked where I can tell the Nic is present. I never get spins or anything but on occasion I do get the nicups. It is certainly nothing like any VA I have smoked which now makes sense to me thanks to your insights.

Dec 24, 2012
I agree with skraps, though I think taste is the right word. It certainly tastes more like burley than a typical US style VA. That's also my opinion (which is never wrong by the way, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.