PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
A few musings to get the conversation started.
A minimum number of pipes owned?

Artisan pipes vs. factory pipes?

A well stocked cellar?

Smoking many different types of tobacco?

Smoking only a few different blends?

Smoking a minimum number of bowls per day/week?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Many ways to answer these musings. But for me the key word is “serious”. With that in mind, I believe a serious pipe smoker is one who loves smoking tobacco. Full stop. The rest is just layers of minutia and collecting and discussion.
For better or worse, I have used tobacco since I was 11 years old. Mostly for nicotine consumption in my younger days. However, along the way I grew to love tobacco. I enjoy the flavor and I enjoy smoking it in a pipe (also cigars, snus, chewing plugs, but never cigarettes). So I can bond with any “serious” pipe smoker because we have a common interest. I love talking with others about their experience with a pipe. It doesn’t have to be about high end pipes, expensive lighter, top shelf tobacco, or haute topics. I simply enjoy learning what excites others and how they do things differently than myself.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
This reminds me of the question , when are you a serious Star Trek fan . I once asked a girl if her boyfriend took Star Trek seriously , she pointed out to me, no , he does not , he only owns a couple of costumes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A non smoker reading any thread on here would never assume any pipe smoker is serious. :mrgreen:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Great topic. Off the top of my head, I would say getting tremendous enjoyment out of the pipes and tobacco that I have and hope to have, while not apologizing for it. Also learning. Learning about how to improve the experience.

Jan 8, 2013
This guy looks pretty serious...
images

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think there's two types of "serious" pipe smokers.
You have the serious pipe smoker who has a few Kaywoodies or Dr Grabows and smokes a few bowls of Captain Black or Carter Hall and that's it every day.
Then you have the serious pipe smoker who gets on forums, who goes to pipe shows to talk to other pipe people about pipes and blends. Typically collecting artisan carved pipes or higher grade Savinellis, Castellos etc.. Typically smoking a few different blends possibly of different styles. Probably has a cellar started to age those Va's and VaPers. Has a subscription to the NASPC newsletter and or Pipes and Tobacco Magazine.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
he who has a negotiated and signed peace accord with swmbo , including a notwithstanding shoes and purses clause

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
This is obviously a question that defies an open-and-shut answer, but for my money, a 'serious' pipe smoker is someone who goes about smoking in a thoughtful way. If it's about more than just nicotine, if you prioritize the experience over the 'fix' and think about what you're smoking (whether that's aged Balkan Sobranie in a $1000 Danish freehand or Walter Raleigh in a cob), then you're serious in my book.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
A serious pipe smoker is someone who enjoys the hobby and doesn’t get wrapped up in the nonsense that can come with a hobby. They enjoy it because they enjoy it, not because it is a cool thing to do

Status
Not open for further replies.