What makes a bad-smoking pipe a bad smoking pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
ericusrex:
In some cases it's obvious...
r.jpg

I've had one pipe that I considered bad, and it was because the briar added a "green" taste to the tobacco. Things like gurgle can be compensated for by technique or prep of the tobacco. Things like drilling, where the draft doesn't line up with the bottom of the chamber, pipe cleaner passing, and mechnical looking button design don't tend to bother me. I can usually smoke these with no issues. I like to think that each pipe has a way in which it wants to be smoked, and it is up to me to learn that. But, everyone will have their own take on that. So be it.

A green tasting briar though is the only deal killer for me. Well, and if the pipe just bursts into flames, ha ha.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Most of my "bad smokers" were from me overstuffing and overpuffing. I got some very good advice that went something like:
1. When you think it's packed loose, pack it looser.

2. When you think it's dry enough, dry it more.

3. When you think you're smoking slowly, slow the hell down.
Once I got better at following that advice, most of (not all) my pipes got their act together and started behaving themselves. I think some are just doomed to be a "one-off" piece of hot gurgly junk.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
This is like asking why a painting appeals to someone. A different answer for every person.
Hard to explain. Easy to answer. You'll know you have bad pipe when you smoke it.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
If you can figure this out you can sell your solution to pipe makers throughout the world. When I say a bad smoking pipe, I am talking about a pipe that tastes bad or smokes hot as a blow torch no matter what you do. To me this is a wood problem and you can't fix bad wood.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can only speak for myself. A "bad" pipe means one that doesn't or can't deliver a smooth, comfortable smoke; the draw may not be quite right, the feel might be awkward. There are esthetic and engineering factors which must mesh for me to enjoy a pipe and declare it a "good" pipe.
I carefully inspect a prospective purchase so, the final determination is: Does it deliver the smoke in a cool, efficient and tasty manner? I have experienced very few "bad" pipes, I think because of my selection process, and upon discovering one, the offender is relegated to a drawer and eventually thrown away, possible after a second or third evaluation.
The reader must also keep in mind that I enjoy my pipes in two distinctive ways. My work pipes, which are smoked in sometimes harsh conditions and my evening pipes which are enjoyed in the quiet and warmth of my "nest." I have pipes which are strictly "work" pipes. These pipes are selected more on the basis of durability and delivery of the smoke with less thought to the eye appeal, mouth and hand feel. Some Peterson and all MM go into the field. Meers and the more fragile of my briars are enjoyed in more comfortable surroundings. I am a bit more tolerant of shortcomings in my work pipes.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks for all the replies. I am basically asking if there are manufacturing defects that can be corrected that then make a poor smoker a great one. Not if an abused pipe can be resurrected into a great smoker. The diameter and shape of the draft hole immediately comes to mind as one aspect that possibly can be altered. Shape of the chamber as well.
Michael - What do you mean exactly when you say "green"? In woodworking terms, "green" means fresh and unseasoned wood with a high moisture content. Is this what you mean? Or are you saying there is a sappy kind of taste?
I am intrigued by this idea of the quality of the wood playing a significant role in the flavor of the smoke. I can totally understand how wood can be graded by its appearance/beauty. The briar I've seen for sale has only been graded by harvest location and appearance. What qualities make one type of briar a better smoke than another?

Some pieces of wood just harmonize with whatever blend it melds better with. After a while we forget what the briar adds to the aroma and flavor, but if you switch up with a meerschaum or even with cigars for a while and come back to the pipe, you'll start to pick up on the briar flavors. By green, I do mean unseasoned, like it still has some sap in it. I hate that taste most.
As far as draft and bowl shape, sure you can alter it, but is that "better?" I do this occasionally, but you have to be careful. You can smoke a pipe too hot by doing this also. And, who is to say that makes it better? Maybe for another pipe smoker that tight draft is just perfect. Or, maybe the pipe just wants that tighter draft, so you have to alter your cadence to comply. Only the individual can decide that. Besides, opening the draft on the stummel is easy. But, the flow is still constricted by the last little bit of the stem. You're not really going to be able to easily open this up without a little practice ...and a bent pipe, forget it.
But, I like the idea of playing with the pipe design. You can learn a lot about pipes this way. I encourage it, but you'll want to be good at using the appropriate tools. Anyways, my $0.02.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're an observant and skeptical shopper, and look at a lot of pipes both in person at shops and pipe shows, and online, and develop some sense about quality and brands, and don't just assume that a higher price means a higher quality, I think it helps in purchasing non-problem pipes, or pipes that can have the problems fixed. This requires a little bit of obsessive compulsive behavior, and not buying pipes on impulse or without research. I'd rather let a "good one" get away, than buy one I don't have reason to believe will turn out well. This usually works. I've had a few I've traded, but this is usually more because of nuance or my own preferences than a defective pipe. But it requires work. Not exactly answering your question, but addressing the problem of bad smoking pipes.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Thanks all!
I ask because I have a bad smoking pipe that I'd like to correct if possible. It's nothing special, just an "Aged Imported Briar" straight billiard I got at an antique store for cheap. It's in very good condition and I intended to use it while walking, or fishing...basically using it where I wouldn't want to drop and mar or even lose one of my better briars. The draw is bad on it and it's very heavy...too heavy for me to clench comfortable. I can open up the draft holes myself (is the standard 4mm?) and I was thinking of reaming the chamber larger, not deeper just larger diameter, since the walls of the pot are incredibly thick. This is certainly adding to the weight and I wonder if it would be a better smoke with a normal sized chamber and thinner walls. Before all of you tell me to not waste my time on such a pipe I'd also consider this a learning experience. Thoughts?

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I'm glad that this topic came up. I have discovered that almost ALL Dunhill's, Ashton's, Bonfiglioli's and Connoy's are inherently flawed. Sadly, there is no way to correct the issues with the pipes and the issues are far too many to list on just one thread. In order to save anyone that owns a pipe or pipes from these companies / artisans any embarrassment by actually having to admit that they own one, I am willing to take them off your hands and dispose of them properly. In order to keep this as discreet as possible, send me a PM and I will send the address that you can send these flawed smoking pipes to. :lol:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Poorly seasoned briar can impart a bad taste and that's one problem that only age can fix and that's even questionable. Dr. Fred Hanna wrote about this in "perfect smoke" and he mentions some very expensive pipes carved by very famous artisans that had terrible taste that passed through the tobacco and tainted the flavor to the point of rendering the pipe in-smokable for him at least. Engineering problems can be fixed like draft hole re-drilling and the like. Cheap factory pioes with painted on finishes can be real lousy smokers but I've talked to guys who've stripped away the clear coat varnish or whatever was used and they re-stained the pipe, buffed it out with carnauba wax and had themselves a terrific smoker.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I'd be careful about reaming out the bowl to make it larger. You never know what you may find. There may be a soft spot below the surface and if you ream out the bowl, you may end up exposing the spot. After a few smokes, the pipe may burn out. For the most part from what you have described, it doesn't sound like you have a bad smoking pipe, it sounds more like you have a pipe that is not fitting the purpose that you purchased it for. (other than the tight draw) If the pipe is too heavy to clench comfortably now, I don't think that it will be made any lighter by reaming out the bowl. At least not enough to make it any easier to clench. Other than the tight draw and it being heavy, how does it smoke? Does it leave a bad taste? Does it constantly gurgle while you smoke no matter how many cleaners you run through it? Does it burn hot no matter how slowly you puff? If it is a good smoker in every other way, I would say that you may want to consider finding another pipe for the walks and use this pipe as the "stand by" for occasions such as when you are cleaning all of your other pipes and need one to smoke while doing so.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Dense briar can make for a poor pipe. If the briar doesn't absorb much moisture, that moisture inevitably ends up on your lips. Gross.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I'm glad that this topic came up. I have discovered that almost ALL Dunhill's, Ashton's, Bonfiglioli's and Connoy's are inherently flawed. Sadly, there is no way to correct the issues with the pipes and the issues are far too many to list on just one thread. In order to save anyone that owns a pipe or pipes from these companies / artisans any embarrassment by actually having to admit that they own one, I am willing to take them off your hands and dispose of them properly. In order to keep this as discreet as possible, send me a PM and I will send the address that you can send these flawed smoking pipes to.
For a minute there, I thought you might be slightly deranged. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.