PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
I light with matches 90% of the time, but when it is inconvenient to carry around a matchbook, I use a Xikar lighter. Mostly it works fine, but it's not as great as it used to be, and it's only a couple months old. Do you have a specific brand and style that you like and recommend, and any that you would definitely not use again?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I use a Zippo pipe lighter with the insert. It's dependable, always lights and indestructible. I have more lighters than I can count but the Zippo never fails me and the price point is right.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I use Bic lighters indoors, and depend on my Zippos outdoors. I would love a Corona, but they are a bit pricey. The Zippos do the job every time, and are reasonably priced. Hope this helps you out.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I use a IM Corona Old Boy. I'm very happy for it.

I also use matches and Bic lighters.
Old Boy gives perfect control of the flame. I tend to burn the rim of my pipes, but not when using the Old Boy. He has been around since the 1930ies. A reliable Old Boy, so to say.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
When I'm on my boat, I use a Zippo. When I'm on my porch, its a Corona Old Boy. Be careful, though, if your trying to use an Old Boy lighter, and a mouse farts, it will go out.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Djeep, they are triple chambered, have a flame adjuster, cheap and don't burn your thumb if your not paying attention.

~Ron

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Over the decades, I've spent a small fortune on Coronas, Zippos, Dunhills, Tsubotas ... They've all had problems. Now I just use Bic lighters or strike anywhere matches.

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
Currently I use a zippo on windy days and use matches most of the time, but I just ordered an old boy of ebay. I am currently waiting for it to show up I cant wait to start using it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I stick with matches. 'Don't like the smell of lighters as the prelude to tobacco. Matches give a quick

whiff of sulfur, but slight.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
My favorite for over 15 years. Until it developed a leak.

bentley-pipe-lighter-tool.jpg

Currently use a Zippo with Thunderbird insert

Thunderbird_High_Polish_Chrome_Pipe_Lighter_Gas_Zippo.jpg

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I just use a Bic or the thin version of Zippo. I had one of those Xikar lighters worked great for about three months then started to break.

bigbellypapy

Lurker
Aug 24, 2013

1. I use a old nimrod pipelighter that a friend gave me.it works great and dosen't burn the top of the pipe

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite lighter are both from IM Corona. My Old Boy has been great for the 13 years I have owned it, I love the control I get with the flame and the built in tamper is something I cannot live without.
In the picture, my Old Boy is to the far right.

The one next to my Old Boy to the left is my Davidoff pipe lighter. It does not have a built in tamper and I only use it when I get dressed up. It is a great lighter because the flame is similar to the Old Boy.

My other IM Corona is one I bought about 5 months ago and it is the IM Corona Pipemaster. What I like about it is the electronic ignition feature and the tamper is much longer than my Old Boy tamper. So far it has performed flawlessly and it also has a huge well for fluid.

I also have a Zippo pipe lighter but really dislike it. The flame is very unwieldy and I only use it outside in strong wind conditions. I think I have used it maybe twice this entire year.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I use both a Xikar Resource (usually in my pocket) and a Jetline Lacardo (in my pouch). They both come with built-in pipe tools, and have been excellent performers for about a year now.

Dec 24, 2012
I use an old boy and I also use the same corona pipemaster that Harris has displayed above. I wanted something with electronic ignition as a backup to the old boy. To be honest, though I love the Old Boy, I tend to use the pipemaster the most. I have had it about 8 months now and it hasn't missed a beat. I assume at some point it will give up the ghost as electronic ignition lighters tend to do, but so far I love the thing. I even prefer the angle of the light as compared to the Old Boy - the pipemaster allows you to precisely target your flame just a little better than the Old Boy, at least in my view.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Beattie Jet lighters for me. I buy them on eBay. Love the jet and the flame is cooler than butane. A downside is that you have to refill more frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.