PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2012
Hello. This past weekend I went to an antiques show at a local high school, bought this pipe, and unfortunately both the seller and I have no idea what the story behind this pipe is. Do any of you folk have any ideas?
8qqz-fvW_-436veAz5Cx7JAV22BDVdA2nnE9knUWDU3dNFO6fHgqQua9feY2TRzLFrKxhgtlMyDyNC6_SO3v6xnYqAmBO831dGwpBPRe7BnDnoY3Tow=s800

ZaS_s0qhLt5qeWXuV0iHf5zKOD9kEmbWaD6q6HQXz11a1RwV8t_R2Cw1oApb8JmUvViGqXuUf9EeetOPkNRoIdM7v-mYbHJEGgFo2FOCnCWKrokZifc=s800

UDNf0-qER43Hi4bFah2zZQDFq2bMURR1vWskCp5sk-PYnsvxfwNxbjTwJO5CNuHaXbbdTiszervVktfGSek0QUYZX0io4kButH6kMtWkXq5Dy9CwQHk=s800

Thanks for your time.
Edit: fix'd the pics

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Interesting, I suppose the key to finding out would be to read any markings on the pipe?
(Looks like something the bass player for Spinal Tap would have been smoking in the movie as he talked about "two visionaries in the band")

adam12

May 16, 2011
I wouldn't smoke it, it's pretty creepy looking. I would be afraid something might fall off and I'd end up getting a strange twitching disease. It looks like it may have been hand carried by a Spanish explorer to present-day Guatemala before his head was cut off by a band of natives, who preserved the pipe in some sort of embalming fluid until it mysteriously disappeared during a lunar eclipse coinciding with an earthquake. Stay away.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Lol, my bet is it was a home build. Looks like something that could be done with an old briar stummel, some tin-snips, a little soldering, and some creativity.
Nice pipe though, get a fairly fancy stem for it and you got yourself a unique little smoker.
(edit to add)

Maybe it would be best to clean it out thoroughly before smoking it though. Something like that, you never know. It could have been used for "green tobacco", or even just kept as a decorative pipe is rough enough storage to allow some mold/mildew to grow on the inside. If it is from an antique sale and not an estate sale, there is no way to learn it's history. Better safe than sorry.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I think that I saw one like that in an S&M movie once.

anthony

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
They come up on ebay from time to time - usually the twisted wire is sterling silver but I can't remember where they say they usually originate from. Unless it's a repro it's quite old and it's usually the Austrian pipes that have the chains on them. Just keep searching for pipe wire silver (included in description box ticked)and eventually you'll come up with something very, very similar.

adam12

May 16, 2011
This search for the pipe's origins will turn into a life-long quest. I can see you in a 3-foot long white beard, climbing a mountain in Switzerland to talk to a villager to whom you were directed by a group of wise elders, only to find a vacant building with pebbles arranged in mysterious markings, and a scroll, which has a riddle about the phases of the moon, sealed in blood, with instructions to an ancient temple where you find a series of Beatles albums that you have to play backwards and decipher the code about Paul McCartney's car crash.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
It is a different one, that's for sure. Good score :clap:

@adam12: I like the way you think, I see a movie in this.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Never seen one that looks just like this, but decorative silverwork was pretty popular for awhile in America. I would guess somewhere around the 1940's, give or take a couple decades :D Most likely 1900-1950 imo

Best guess says this was production work, not a home made job. May or may not be marked at all, and probably was one of 250 other styles the factory was cranking out. No good clue about where it was made, Aussielass is right though the little chain is typical of European made pipes and Austria is probably a good guess.
edit: looking closer at the wood, it may not be briar at all, could be pear. That would be a good indicator it was made in Europe.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Looks neat and intricate to me. Nobody could do that with tinsnips unless they were the offspring of Edward Scizzorhands. I have a feeling it is old like dirt.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It looks like it belonged to a Gladiator or a Swordsman!
I think this Swordsman dropped it by mistake. Please be sure to return it.
War_gods__Dragon_Slayer_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
And here's it's kin, albeit it doesn't help with origin or dating (scroll down to see all pics):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item41600bef6b&item=280784269163&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=E6aX2Ht1geeTSJNftfesA%252FFK7sA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Status
Not open for further replies.