What I've Been Doing For the Last 3 weeks...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Warning, this is going to seem like an Indiana Frank story...

I Haven't been on the forums as of late, mainly because we were invaded by a large amount of family! We knew they were coming, so it took a week of cleaning, moving some furniture, and so on. We ended up with 6 adults plus a 8 mo. old baby from N. California, and then 3 more adults plus 2 dogs and a cat from Texas! Yeah, in our 2 bedroom house with a loft. The only saving grace is that some of them could stay with a relative about 10 mi. away part of the time. I warned them that there would be too many people and there would be lots of confusion about who sleeps where, and what everyone wanted to eat, and go see. I mean we're in rural Miss. so there isn't all that much to do for city folks. I'm not sure, but I think I was drinking pretty much the whole time. (some of the others decided they would too though) I don't know how we pulled it off, but we had some fun, good food, and got to go to a few other cities like Oxford that they found entertaining. Finally after 14 days it was over, and after two days of picking up crap, deflating the air mattress's, doing laundry, putting stuff back, and sorting out all the things they left behind that we need to ship to them, my wife and I sat down on the couch, looked at each other and said, "what the hell just happened?"
There's still a few things to bring from the shed back into the house but now life can return to normal, well, normal for us anyway. I cheered myself up by actually finding time to go on eBay and buy a used pipe to restore. So I'm finally getting to do that, and it does wonders to relax me. I'll post some pictures when I'm done with it.

In the meantime, here's a few pics of some of the family, just a few really.
Five generations picture, at the top my wife's uncle who is 90 and the oldest left of this family's generation. Bottom left is my wife, her daughter Balinda, then Balinda's daughter Rachael, with her baby Scarlett.

dsc_0121-600x596.jpg

My two step daughters Lisa, 55 from Texas, and Balinda, 57 from Calif. I put their ages down just to bug them, but they do look pretty good for their age. (unlike me)

img_10221-424x600.jpg

Here's one of the granddaughters with the dog she brought, nice little wiener dog, got along fine with our dog. The other dog and the cat were a different story, and had to be kept at the other relatives house.

img_1079-561x600.jpg

Last I couldn't help posting a pic of little Scarlett experiencing her first thunder storm with her dad. She loved it and kept sticking her arm out to feel the rain. Thunder and lightening, no problem. This kid smiles and laughs more than any baby I've seen. But still she's a baby with all the noise and commotion that goes along with it.

dsc_0034-600x401.jpg

So now that I've bored everyone with my story and pics, we can get back to out regular programming. :mrgreen:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Man I needed that, Family is a Fuss, but Oh So Necessary Fuss,Good looking People Orley, thanks for the post making us remember what is really important in Life. :clap:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Family is a Fuss, but Oh So Necessary Fuss
The bonds of family are very deep as they are from the beginning. I have a younger brother who has lived on the West coast for 30 years who is for all practical purposes dead, as he won't talk to family, and an older brother who still wants to continue ties though we couldn't be more different.
Very glad that the visit worked out well. Getting along is grand!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That's just great. What a beautiful family. Be sure to tell your step daughters they do NOT look their age.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for sharing this with us. I love my family. I always look forward to the Thanksgiving holiday when my family descends on an unsuspecting San Francisco, where my brother lives. This year we're looking at about 30+ family and friends. Not quite a two week dogpile, but a lot of fun every year.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Now that the tornado/hurricane/tsunami has passed you two are finally catching your collective breaths and vowing, "We're never doing that again...."
But I'm glad you did it once. And I'm doubly glad you shared those pictures. Your wife's tribe has been blessed many times over with excellent genes and that description of the baby's first thunderstorm put a big-assed smile on my face.
Thank you for sharing this with us, Orley.
Fnord

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Lovely group of people. Scarlet, pantomiming lighting a pipe, her bright eyes shining, sweet.

That must have been a challenge. Nicely done!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You and your wife are surely to be conferred the Hospitality Medal of Honor for your intrepid bravery. I feel certain that all of your guests will remember the visit for the rest of their lives. All other life events will be marked as before or after that trip. Yes, a steady intake of adult libation would be crucial to getting through all that familial sociability. Love to see 'em come, love to see 'em go.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Orley, that's a great looking family. I really enjoyed reading your story. Family is so important. It's hurts when we have to be separated for lengths of time.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks Frank, I hope I didn't insult you by saying this was like one of your stories, but I meant it as a complement. I always enjoy reading your posts, and somehow felt like this is something that would happen to you. Family from the west coast visits fairly often, but I haven't seen my family from Michigan for 6 years in spite of me inviting them down here. I guess it will be up to me to go up there again in the near future. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.