PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Since I am fairly new at pipe smoking, I am interested in the many forms of smoking cadence that you all use. I can usually find that sweet spot in my cadence, where I think I'm getting the most flavor from my tobacco, but my mind eventually drifts and I lose my concentration, or I am really into the flavor of whatever I am smoking and start drawing to hard, to fast, or both. I'm sure that most of you have been doing this long enough that you don't even have to think about your cadence, regrettably that's not the case for me... yet. So, what are your secrets concerning the mysteries of smoking cadence?

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
For me it really depends on what I'm smoking. If it's one of my go-to regular smokes, I don't pay much attention to it. It's almost robotic. I'm like an old codger in that sense. I will stop and talk, put my pipe down to do something and let it go out often. I can make an average bowl last 2 hours sometimes.
On the other hand, if it's something new, or a special treat tobacco, I am very cognizant of my cadence. I make a concerted effort to keep it moderated to get the most out of the blend. YMMV

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I mainly smoke English and Scottish blends with only an occasional Aro. I tend to do a lot of thinking whilst smoking my pipes and as a consequence, I get off cadence, the pipe gets hot and affects the taste of the tobacco and heats up the pipe. I put the pipe to the side for awhile and it inevitably goes out. While I don't mind relighting, I do seem to use an awful lot of matches to get through a bowl. If I do anything at all while smoking, like yard work or working on a vehicle, I always loose track of my cadence and start puffing away. I guess the cadence will become habit after awhile, meanwhile I will "Endeavor to persevere" (a quote from one of my favorite movies).

Reactions: ckcutler

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This may help you as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8Sfg6EH9k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mar 1, 2014
As another new guy: usually too fast.

Lately I'm aiming for about one sip every ten seconds, but tobacco preparation is very important if you're going that slow.

Reactions: radrick96

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It depends on what I am doing at the time. If I am working with the chainsaw and the like it can get fairly rapid I presume. I pay little attention. Out shooting I am sure the rate is lower, just enough to keep the tobacco smoldering. My evening pipes are about the same, moderate and just enough to keep the burn going. Not really something I attend to as the pipe is usually an adjunct to something I'm really interested in such as reading.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Depends on what I'm smoking and how mindful I am at the time. Usually 6 seconds. The more experienced I become the less I rely on a number or an established rhythm. Most of the time now I'll vary my tempo to try and gauge how the tobacco responds. Once I find something that seems to taste right, I'll try to keep to it, or at least make a mental note.

Reactions: radrick96

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
On the whole probably a little fast, but the truth is it varies widely even within the bowl. If it seems well lit, I'll slow down a little, but when I start to lose the ember I'll "push" through the pipe and then draw and puff several times in quick succession. By pushing lightly through the pipe between puffs, I can monitor the quality of the light. Once the ember is hale and healthy and set to burn a while, I can slow down again.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Smoking a pipe really shouldn't require concentration. But everything affects cadence, from the weather to my mood to the type of tobacco. Eventually you will get the right cadence for each tobacco, it takes time.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I have never gave it any thought and had never heard tell of such a thing until reading it online. I don't recall having any problems when I started out but that was many years ago. Don't overthink it, relax and enjoy it.

Reactions: Idahojoe

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very slow small sips. Just often enough to barely keep it lit.
This. Percolating the blend offers the most flavor.
Knowing how to pack a blend is also critical, as that can vary a bit. With some blends, I can interrupt my smoking to pop into a store and pick up a couple of items, come out, pull my pipe from my coat pocket and just go back to smoking without a relight. When I was in Vegas at the WCPS last year, I set down my pipe, got into line at the bar, picked up drinks for the table, returned and handed them out, then sat down, picked up my pipe and with a couple of puffs had it going again with no relight. The look that the others gave me when I pulled that stunt, was priceless.
Cadence is important. So is the packing.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't have a puffs per minute count or anything like that but I know I'm usually a bit on the fast side. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
It depends on what tobacco I'm smoking. During a pipe I test the limits both ways: puff fast, puff slow. Most tobaccos support the slow cadence, you can never go wrong there

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
With some blends, I can interrupt my smoking to pop into a store and pick up a couple of items, come out, pull my pipe from my coat pocket and just go back to smoking without a relight.
Exactly, Brush.

While at the cigar and pipe store I frequent having a pipe just last night, I remembered I had left my I-phone setting on the seat of my car parked out in the mall parking lot. Laying down my pipe I walked a block, retrieved my phone, and returning I picked up my pipe and after a few draws it was glowing with a fine ember. I was smoking a house blend Called Tom's Blend which has a good bit of burley in it. It burns like a slow fuse and smokes cool as Christmas.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I would be very happy if I could replicate your successes gents. I've tried the breathing method, as posted in the video above, but I find myself concentrating too much on breathing to the extent of being out of breath (ironically).
I was having much more success a couple of months ago but am in a bit of a prolonged rut; not getting great flavour out of anything, not finding the balances between wet/dry or loose/tight.
Oh well. I'll press on :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.