PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am sure many people here have a price point where they just do not go over, I know I do. For me there comes a point where I just don't see the value going over a certain price as I know the pipe will not smoke any better and I am just paying for grain or a name. I am all about getting the best smoking pipe I can for my money. Over the years the number has changed. In the beginning it was 250.00 except for one pipe I spent 300.00 for that retailed for 500.00 and it was brand new. When I came back to my pipes in April of 2012 after a few years lay off, my price point was 200.00, but that didn't last long after I bought my first Rad for 350.00 in August of 2012.
Now my price point is 400.00 and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I would of course much rather keep it below 275.00 as I have bought quite a few great estate pipes for under that number. For me I am now about quality over quantity. I would rather sit on my money and wait until I can get exactly what I want instead of buying 4 100.00 pipes that I know will not smoke as well as my other pipes. The only time I will spend the max is if I am doing a commission with Rad Davis and I have only done that maybe 5-6 times.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I find a pipe that fits me, I'll purchase it. I rarely have more that thirty pipes at any one time and only purchase a pipe in person from a reputable shop, usually in Ireland. Although I always ferret out local shops in my travels to see what is displayed.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
For say a pipe of my design input with features I want. I'd say up to $400 as well. But it be a special case for sure.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I spent $650.00 on a dunhill cumberland 5120 but never again. It is a good pipe though.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Currently at this point in time with the hobby, I wouldn't spend more than $60 for one pipe. It's not that I wouldn't spend more in the future, it's just that I can't see investing money in pipes right now. My cellar could use the "money love" right now, I'm going full blast this year in a)trying new blends, and b)loading up on those that I've had in the past and enjoy.
Having read posts from forum members in other countries dropping considerable amounts of money on 1 or 2 tins, I can't help but think how lucky I am to have access to so many blends and VERY reasonable prices.
Pipes should always be around to purchase in the future, I can't say the same for existing tobacco blends we have available now.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
This is interesting for me for this reason, when i first took up pipe smoking the most i ever spent on a pipe was $80 and then a year later i began collecting pipes more and branched out rather quickly from 100$ to the 200-300$ range. I had Two Rads, 5 Caminettos, 2 Dunhills and a few more high enders. Now i look at the few pipes in my rotation and guess what, i don't have any of those pipes anymore!!!
The reason for this is simply, i personally do not feel comfortable with owning and or smoking a pipe worth more than 120$. I believe at the point in my life mentally and financially that i am not ready for such pipes to be in my collection. I get this feeling of guilt and irresponsibility that the money spent on that pipe could be better used else where.
Don't take this the wrong way i loved all those pipes and the way they smoked nor am i knocking those who spend the money on them because i understand completely why they do it. but im 29, with a beautiful wife who deserves the world, have a lazy dog who needs to eat, a house that needs to be maintained and im trying with all my being to have a child. So like i said for me its not the time to spend 200+ on one pipe. But 200+ on a bunch of pipes that i can keep from and sell some, then that im good with.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have this one pipe that I keep close by my keyboard when I might be enticed by a particular high end pipe. It is a Brebbia Cellini that I purchased estate for $30 and is a diminutive Dublin. It smokes dry and cool, always to the bottom of the bowl, every time. And it has lovely straight grain. No idea how it ended up a Brebbia second but it always talks to me about money - "you don't have to pay a lot for a great pipe". I usually listen...

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I guess I would be in the $200 - $300 range. I own a $500 Castello and a $400 Larrysson, but outside of those two, not many over $250.
Right now I'm building a solid rotation of french pipes. I just purchased 2 Ropp's with horn stems, have 3 Sébastien Beo pipes and 6 Chacom's. Outside of the 2 Chacom Royale's, none of the French pipes cost me more than $100. And you know what? They are all excellent smokers, in fact, I smoke them more regularly than my higher end pipes, no question.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've never thought about this until recently. Like Smokey, $120 seemed to be my max for buying pipes. However, once I got fully into restorations that price actually dropped. (!) For the last two years my obsession has been finding great pipes for cheap on the eBay/antique market. It's been fun, and I've uncovered quite a few gems for $100 and under, some as low as $20.
Having said that, and with a pile of pipes on my bench still to restore, I have made the decision to sell a lot of them to fund some higher end ones and keep the collection at a reasonable amount. So to answer Harris' question and based on what I've been seeing and liking online, I think I'd be comfortable in the $200-$300 range going forward.
I'm in no rush to buy however, as my spare coin is going towards TAD right now, but I do hope to commission 1-2 pipes within the next year. Just weighing my options and figuring out fully what I want so when the time comes I'm 100% confident in what I want done, with no intent to flip it later. I'm approaching it like getting a tattoo, assume that it's a permanent choice.

Mar 1, 2014
I've been through the "quality vs. quantity" game several times now. Pretty much every time I end up with one or two pieces in just about every price bracket, but I'm never comfortable with many items in the same range, be it expensive or cheap.
Right now I'm averaging just over $100, and $150 is my usual cut off (of course there's shipping and taxes, but the number on the pipe is $150).
If someone were to make a pipe that's "just right" I would probably pay upwards of $300 for it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
For an estate pipe my limit is twenty bucks including shipping. For a new pipe I begin to choke at $150.00. I suppose that makes me a less than professional pipe smoker. I've resigned myself to be classified as a pipe hobbyist. It's like being a pianist. At my level of playing I don't need a twelve foot Bösendorfer. An upright Yamaha will do just fine. Not that I wouldn't appreciate the Bösendorfer. It would just be an unjustifiable extravagance at my level. I really do enjoy my early and mid-century American made factory pipes, though. I'm fully contented where I am.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
$450 would be my normal ceiling but I do see the occasional work that would make me cough up $500-600 and be happy about it. I would like to own a Talbert Halloween which will require saving and sacrificing other luxuries but I would be happy to do so. I try to look at pipes as not a financial investment but an investment in craftsmanship and well made goods. First off, I am supporting a craftsman and that in itself has value in this day and age. Secondly it will last a life time and when you look at the years of service, your investment takes on a different angle. I pay $1000 for a TV I know wont last a decade, so a pipe that will last until my last breath should be given equal consideration in my opinion. Granted cheaper briars will last as well but I enjoy smoking from a nice handmade pipe given the option.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I just spent 100 on a pipe and that seems like alot. However I can see how some one would spend a significant more than that on the right piece. The most I would spend at this point is 200

hippiebrian

Lurker
Jul 1, 2014
My first thought was "Pain threshold? What is he doing with his pipes?"
Now, I have become one of "those guys" since I started on the cobs. My threshold is now 5 cents over the price of a MM General.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm on a two-track system. As a regular matter, I look for the best quality pipes at the low to medium price level,

so $100 is tops. But if I rack up a big win on some freelance assignment then I may allocate all of my earnings and

then some for a more expensive pipe, depending entirely on the payday. I'm not too proud to buy a $35 pipe if it's

a good one, and the ones I've carefully selected at that price are. Sometimes you can score a new pipe at a terrific

price on sale.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I try to stay somewhere south of $250-300. I have a few Dunhills, Ferndowns, and Castellos, but they were in the low $300s. The most expensice one lately was a Royal Oak Briars at $280ish (on sale). Much above that I start thinking "I could take this money and add it to the fund to buy items stamped Colt or Winchester."
Really lately its been easy to stay in the sub $100 range, because I am more interested in older GBD, Comoy, Sasieni, etc pipes than most new manufacturers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm a bit schizophrenic in the matter. The majority, including most of the Pre_Trans Barlings, fall in the $100-200 range. A dozen or so are in the $300 range. And then...

My fascination for antique British pipes requires somewhat more lofty amounts. But even there, with the exception of the unsmoked Barling set, I've managed to find examples for about 50-60% of what other collectors are paying for the same thing.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I don't set a price cap. Sometimes you see a pipe you just have to own, and price doesn't matter. ( until the wifey finds out)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have a couple tiers...
For collectible estate pipes in good nick, I will go up to $100.
For estate pipes that need resto work, considerably under $100 unless they are rare or wildly collectible.
For new pipes I'm very comfortable at the $300 price point (Thinking about Ryan Alden pipes here) and will go up to $500 for special cases.
-- Pat

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I feel ok buying a pipe I love at the $450 range and below. Anything above that and I am probably looking for something comparable but cheaper. That being said I have gone over $600 and love the pipe and smoke it frequently. It all just depends on my mood and budget at any given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.