PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I mentioned this in another thread but I thought I would start a new thread.
You have probably figured out that I am cheap when it comes to making purchases. Until now I have stuck to ebay estates, mostly Kaywoodie, and rarely dropping more than $30. I have my sights on a Pete or two and so the ebay trolling begins.
Here's the thing- I see buy it now pricing from $90 to $120 for new pipes so I have a hard time nudging up to that price on an estate. I may have stopped bidding a little low, who knows, or I could have been stuck with an estate costing more than a new pipe.
So what is your general rule of thumb for a threshold? Is it 60% of value? 80%? Where do you cut the cord?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Cutting the cord is extremely pipe dependant. I own pipes that I paid over $200 for knowing full well that they cost less than $10 new.
Since I don't collect modern estate pipes, I can't directly answer your exact question but, I saw a Ryan Alden Estate on ebay and the seller is asking $325.....it's been smoked. If I were to make an offer it would be $150, because I can have them made to my specs between $300-350.

Jan 8, 2013
It just depends on what I have the funds for. Like anyone, I'm always looking for a great deal. But if I like a pipe and it's full price, I'm willing to pay it.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I have none. But, I don't bid.

I only look at "Buy Now", or "Make an Offer" from vendors who deal in pipes, mostly.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
@snowyowl- even in that case, when do you leave ebay and go to an online vendor or b&m?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Randelli, if you want a great pipe and a dirt cheap price, then there is no threshold. You should really look into pipes from Pulverspipes.com. Every pipe I've purchased from him have been fair value. To me, that's as good as it gets.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
$30 including shipping, I'v only broke that rule 2 times and those I really wanted bad, now I have missed out on some good ones but Im happy with my rotation, although I don't have any Pet's or Dunhills, my rotation is mostly quality English made and Kaywoodies. I did acquire a Dunhill that I resold for twice what I paid and a Curt Rollar ASPC pipe but those are the exceptions

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks ash- I was not familiar with pulverspriorbriar.com I will keep an eye on their site

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I don't use ebay. Every pipe I have was bought new from online retailers, and the most I've parted with is 25 notes each for a couple of Parkers. If, as planned, I buy a Falcon in the next couple of months, it will most probably be my most expensive pipe purchase. Judging how well my cobs, clays, and Parker briars smoke, the Falcon has got a lot to live up to to avoid disappointment.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As mentioned, my threshold varies by pipe and the seller. For a well known, reputable ebay seller, the threshold is definitely higher on the same pipe.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Randelli, if you want a great pipe and a dirt cheap price, then there is no threshold. You should really look into pipes from Pulverspipes.com. Every pipe I've purchased from him have been fair value. To me, that's as good as it gets.
Interesting... I find most of their pipes to be overpriced. That being said I still keep an eye on what he gets in just in case something I really want shows up.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I never buy new pipes so value for me is relative. I try not to spend more than $25 or $30. The most I offered up for a pipe was 40 something. They wanted more for a Kaywoodie bent billiard Supergrain from the 30's(I think)with a four hole stinger. They countered with what I thought was too much considering condition. I ended up getting the same shape in a Flame Grain a couple days later for $35.00. I love AND hate Ebay. :)

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
It depends on what the pipe is really worth, whether it is rare, hard to find, or like new, etc., compared to what it would cost to replace it if you can, and really, what the pipe is worth to YOU.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The way the question is framed is kind of like asking "What's a fair price for a car?" Just like cars, or houses for that matter, pipes come in a wide range of price points. I didn't buy anything on eBay until I had studied the market for the item I was interested in, to determine what a reasonable price was, depending on condition and desirability. With new pipes it's a bit simpler than with estates or collectibles. I don't have an overall ceiling but I do have a price range in mind for a specific pipe, based on my research.
Taking Ashdigger's example with the Alden, I might go 60 to 65% of new if the pipe was really clean and I really liked it, but vintage collectible pipes, like Barling, Charatan, Comoy, Sasieni, BBB, or Dunhill take longer to figure out.
Generally, eBay doesn't offer steal deals. If sellers didn't do well, no one would list there. And, I often see people who get caught up in bidding wars and who end up overpaying, sometimes wildly. So knowing what the range is for a particular item is a useful way to avoid becoming eBay roadkill. One way to get a better price is to contact the seller after an unsuccessful listing and make them a reasonable offer. Some see the light and cut a deal. Others hold on to their fantasies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I discovered early on, that some sellers don't know what they have and began to look for more of those.

I've enjoyed the hunt, more than necessary, but my acquisition disorders are now turned down to a simmer, just like my preferred cadence.

The MOST I spent on one pipe, was $67.00 - A Dunhill Shellbriar w/replacement stem a 1954 shape 656.

I think now, if and when I drop a bid, my ceiling is $25.00 for a 'house' made, and that could be amended for special circumstances, like artisan made, unsmoked, and spectacular.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hypothetical answer, since I don't use ebay, but I would stay in the $15 to $20 range, since it's a dice roll. I think chances of getting what's described is less than 50%. It might be redeemable or satisfactory in some other way, but not what you have in mind from the photo and description. Whereas some of the online retailers, with estate pipes, might be 80% or above with the more reputable sites. I suspect the satisfaction goes down with higher end pipes, just because the reward for misrepresenting goes up. If you buy a 1970's Kaywoodie at market price, it may be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.