What Is Your Active Tobacco Rotation? (Pic)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
What is your active tobacco rotation? Maybe you have a few, maybe a slew. I took a picture of my current jars that are accessible for smoking. In truth I only smoke about 15 of these regularly, some are for special occasions and some are stuff I bought to try and don't grab regularly. My active regular rotation is Escudo, J. A. Luxury Flake, Brigaid Campaign, Old Gowrie, Hal O'the Wynd, Blackwoods flake, Weseex Brown Flake a house blend called Kate's and Shortcut to mushrooms.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Always love seeing rotation or cellar pictures. I don't have a rotation yet, I am just buying few tins to try, after finishing them I buy another ones. And sometimes there are good pipers who send some tins for free ;-)

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
My rotation is still in a state of constant evolution while I search through all the blends that have caught my attention enough to buy a tin or ounce of bulk. I'm looking to establish a list of worthy blends so I can go from cellaring wide to going deep on 15-25 keepers. I'm young enough that a lifetime cellar will require 250lbs or more, and I'd like to accomplish that over the next 10 years.

Currently open-

Anniversary Kake, my first love.

Bengal Slices, this stuff is seriously good and will likely be a long term candidate.

Peterson Wild Atlantic, received in a trade and is decent, but it's most notable characteristic is that it doesn't suck.

Molto Dolce, opened because I scored a nearly unsmoked Baki on eBay and wanted to get it coloring with the goopiest gooper that ever gooped.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Holy smokes, @shaintiques! (pun intended)
Here's my current "rotation," which is a pretty accurate reflection of where my tastes are at right now. Trying not to add any more open blends, if possible, since (as you can see), I don't really have anywhere to put them, haha.

IMG_00561_zpsvkg1lvvz.jpg

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Mine is Escudo, OGS, Plumb Pudding, DSK, and Firestorn is my newest addition.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Starting rotation: Smyrna, Margate, Squadron Leader, Westminster, Penzance.
Quite a few others in the bullpen, but need a good set-up tobacco. Recently sampled Stonehaven, but decided he's coming in only to retire that one lefty that can't hit a side delivery.

bushpipe81

Lurker
Feb 13, 2016
I'm Pretty new to pipe smoking. So don't hold this against me. McClelland pm pipe, Prince Albert, (don't boot me off of the forum for this) smokers pride cherry Cavendish, vanilla Cavendish, and whiskey.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I'll admit, I have a problem. I just can't seem to stop trying different tobaccos. So now the corner of my photo darkroom looks like this. The top shelf is 3 deep, and the bottom shelf is 3 deep and double stacked in spots. Yes, that's my rotation, but only about 50% gets fairly regular use, the rest only occasionally or seldom. I like having a large selection to choose from depending on what I feel like.

img_000210-600x396.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
....but decided he's coming in only to retire that one lefty that can't hit a side delivery.
That's good stuff. Lol.
The line, or the Stonehaven?? :)
I can just handle a rotation of about five tobaccos; more I think of as belonging in the farm system, some get brought up, others are maturing for years before being called up.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Wow, I currently have about 35 in rotation and of course about a dozen of those are heavy hitters. I thought my rotation was a bit excessive but I like trying new things. Good to know I'm not alone. I'll try to post a picture when I can.
Heavy hitters;
Long Golden Flake

Full Virginia Flake

Exotique

Cognac

Escudo

Aged Burley Flake

Capstan (gold)

Dark Strong

Golden Sliced

Bengal Slices.

Penzance

Stonehaven
Good idea for a thread!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The only things I have open at the moment are... Lane's 125th, PS LTF, Autumn Evening, Wessex Brick, Warrior Plug, and GLP's Odyssey. I like to have a varied diet, but limited options.

That's what I'm aiming for but I have a hard time not opening new tins... I need to chill out a bit. I won't open a new tin until I smoke up 5... yeah, yeah, that will work!

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
@hawky, I've broken my " no opening more tins until..." rule more times than I can count. Futility at its best. :lol:
My usual suspects are:

Wessex Brigade Campaign

Peterson Old Dublin

John Cottons No 1

Germains 1820

Christmas Cheer 2015

Margate
Pinch Hitters:

Astleys No.44

Yenidje Highlander

Bengal Slices

Rincon de la Pipa

Sir Walter Raleigh
I was going to take a pic, but it's just a bunch of poorly labeled mason jars in a bottom drawer. Not much to see, admittedly.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I've got about 30 blends on the shelf for easy access. Probably half of them are "occasional" blends.
The real meat of my rotation is (in no particular order):

JKP

Escudo

Royal Yacht

Dunhill Flake

Nightcap

FVF

PS LBF

PS LNF

Triple Play

Telegraph Hill

Union Square

OJK

ODF

OGS

Blackwoods Flake

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have the following blends at my finger tips ready to smoke.
Wessex Brigade Campaign

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake

Astleys 109 and 44

Solani Silver Flake and 633

Samuel Gawith Best Brown, St James and FVF

Dunhill Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls

Peterson University and Irish Flake, Perfect Plug

Capstan Blue and Gold Flakes

Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug and Special Brown Flake

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake

Stonehaven

Escudo

Mac Baren Navy, Modern Virgina, and Vanilla Cream Flakes.

Ratrray Wallace Flake

Brigham Klondike Gold

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I'd post a pic but am too afraid you guys would show up at my house for an extended pipesmag gathering!

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I have about the same number of jars as the OP, but my active rotation is:

Royal Yacht

Stonehaven

Penzance

Full Virginia Flake

and more Royal Yacht

I won't live long enough to smoke the tobacco I have but I would like to finish rhese four because they are the cream of the crop.

I shoot for a Virginia, VaPer, Aromatic, a Latakia or Oriental, and something strong and Hercules to put me to bed at night. When I finish off one, it's like Christmas digging around in my cellar or driving to the B&M looking for the next one to replace the empty. It kind of keeps the excitement alive for me. But, especially after a pipe show or a box pass, I tend to have many many more open bags or tins in my rotation. But, they are usually small portions, so it doesn't last long.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Slightly old picture, but close enough. Top shelf is cellar, bottom shelf is rotation - well, open tins. Lately I've been more frequently smoking Hal o' the Wynd, Westminster, Lombard, Erik Stokkebye's 1931, and I've recently opened a bag of GQ's Nottingham Lace:Noir (delicious, but the nicotine hit me hard).
file

Status
Not open for further replies.