Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
classic-4415.gif
peterson-std-smooth-01368-3.jpg
pm-pptss-31-s.png

Most of my pipes are shaped like this, I just really like the look. Can anyone tell me if this shape/style of pipes have a collective name?
Also I've heard that the stems of pipes like these can be removed even when it's still hot, and wouldn't affect how well it fits. I'm not quite sure if it's true.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
"A military bit (aka army mount) is one where the tenon of the stem attaches to the shank at a metal-covered socket.
The Peterson Army pipes are a nice illustration of these: like so.
I've heard two stories as to the etymology of the term:

1. It originates from a hasty pipe repair in the field of combat, possibly using a spent brass round.

2. The style was designed to be broken down quickly in the field, e.g. in case of the need for total darkness or quick movement. The metal fitment allows you to remove the stem from a hot pipe with less stress on the wood."
Not my info - just found elsewhere on the forum...

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I would call those military bit billiards. Two bent, one straight.
Edit: actually, the bents are bleeding over into brandy shape given the slightly tapered bowls.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Thanks guys, I tried to find the answer on Google, but didn't know what to put in. I find the look more interesting than other plain pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
All of my Petersons are of a similar shape, all XL90s. They are not only a pleasing shape to look at, but have a very comfortable feel in hand as well. I would call them billiards/brandys I suppose.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Also Shawn, you should never remove the stem immediately after smoking your pipe....you should always let it cool down before removing the stem.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Nola, that is good advice but the military mount doesn't use a normal tenon. The bits are tapered and the contact is only at the point where the bit comes in contact with the metal shank covering. They were made that way so the bit could be removed even when hot in case the situation demanded it. The metal covering reinforces the wood significantly reducing the risk of fracturing the mortis.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
While it is Peterson that seems to dominate the consciousness when the term "military mount" is brought up, many other manufacturer's utilize this assembly. An American make that I keep seeing is Wellington, or W.D.C.

WDC_Left.jpg

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'd say the first two are bent apples because of the bowl taper. Compare with newbroom's straight bowl bent billiard above.
The third one is a straight billiard.
All three are "army mounts".

Status
Not open for further replies.