PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Trying to be clean here. :) I got this estate Comoy's second and noticed that it has a hole in it(and no I do not mean the tobacco chamber). On the top side of the shank closer to bowl is a perfectly round hole. It has no discoloration around it, it perfectly round and is centered right on the center of the top of the shank. It seems to be too perfectly round and centered on the top to be a burn through or an accident. Any ideas out there.

20180417_091814-600x450.jpg

20180417_091830-600x450.jpg

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Not sure when it occurred. It's very possible some one could have drilled it after the factory. I am assuming it is artificial as it is too perfectly round and centered to be accidental. I looked down the shank with my pen light and as best I can tell it does not go all the way through. But with that location it is somewhat hard to be sure. Just Can't imagine why someone would drill a hole there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know so I'll guess. It was where some retailer fastened some sort of logo that fell off. Or, it was some pipe owner's idea of modifying the draw, maybe to decrease moisture?

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I looked with a pen light and could not tell. The location is just hard to see if it does go all the way through. I did fill the stummel with everclear and then sealed the top of the bowl and the shank and shook it up creating pressure and nothing came out the hole. Though it is possible even likely that the hole is gunked up in the air passage as I have not cleaned it yet.

-

Sound like I need to get it cleaned up and then see if it goes all the way through. The idea that someone drilled a hole to modify the draft while sounding silly to me is the only thing that sort of makes sense.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Perhaps somewhere in the pipe's history someone felt it proved the draw or that it helped with gurgle, etc.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I have a sav with an emblem in that exact location. It is held in by 2 tiny pins that sit tight into the stem.

Perhaps at one point there was something there and it has fallen out?

Jan 8, 2013
I'm with the others thinking a pin of sorts was attached at some point. Such as a lapel pin or similar. My company gives them out after every few years you work with them, 5 years, 8 years, 10 years, etc., etc. Maybe it was a gift from a company he worked for, that did something similar and they or the original owner stuck the pin to the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.