What Is This Fine White Ash You Speak Of?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbales

Lurker
Nov 4, 2015
What I get after a smoke is what resembles soot mixed with a bit of dottle. This happens with every blend that I've tried so far. Albeit, all aromatics.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The question is: "Did you enjoy the bowl?" Like sh_t, white ash happens. For some, long time smokers, it can happen regularly. For other? Not so often. I think the dryer the blend and the finer the cut the higher the probability of a fine white ash at the end. My position is, as long as I enjoyed the bowl, the end result is unimportant.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Only happens when smoking Penzance and riding a Unicorn at the same time. :puffy:

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
Let a pouch of Five Brothers sit out for a week or so and smoke that. Once the fire goes out all that will be left is a fine white ash. You may also be missing eyebrows and other facial hair but it should grow back eventually.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't often get a bowl that smokes down to nothing but "fine white ash". Usually, when it happens, it is with a well-dried tobacco smoked in a cob that has had plenty of time to rest. I imagine that's when a cob is at its most absorbent. Moisture is just a part of pipe smoking; nothing's perfect, I guess. If a bowl gets bitter or too waterlogged too maintain a light, I dump it. I'm a pipe smoker, not a masochist. I've used the "blow back through the stem" method, the "flick the moisture out of the stem" method, and the "swab your bore with a pipe cleaner" method. They all work, after a fashion, but when a bowl is done, it's done. Moist tobacco, a saturated pipe, smoking too fast, high ambient humidity...all these conspire to ruin your perfect bowl. Don't let them get the upper hand and interfere with your enjoyment. Hell, if you only enjoy the top 1/3 of a bowl, so be it. Smoke on.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I only have one briar, which gets smoked on Sundays, and the rest are cobs. The way the shank enters on a cob means I never have to worry about getting down to a fine white ash. Have to agree with Warren, as long as you enjoy it, you're doing it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.