What is the ingredient in pipe tobacco and cigars... that causes the dizziness?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
I've smoked a bit of Cornell&Diehl's Epiphany... smoked it a bit too quickly and realized, like you all may guess, that I needed to put the pipe down and concentrate on not spilling my guts; along with a buffet of dizziness. I think it's the Latakia. No? Are there any other elements that cause these symptoms? I've got a La Aroma de Cuba (cigar) sitting and waiting; sitting and waiting because I'm told that it's a pretty powerful cigar. I don't taste any Latakia in any cigars I've ever had so... What factor causes tobacco to be so... powerful?

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I think its the nicotine in them. are you inhaling them? I find if i smoke too quickly the nicotine gets straight in. Though I dont tend to get the nausea(pretty nic resistant) but I can get a tad dizzy or get a niccups. This is just my opinion and i am in no way an expert.

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
No... I don't inhale and I had that smoke outdoors so... I don't think it was due to second hand smoke. I'm new to smoking and am pretty much an aro smoker typically. I have a low tolerance too; naturally, I'm sure. I had a bowl of MacBaren's Plumcake a couple of days ago, which contains a bit of Latakia... and surprisingly suffered no discomfort; pretty good tasting tobacco blend so...

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
So... is nicotine an additive or a natural property of tobacco; probably a stupid question but... I guess during processing, the content of it can be played down?

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
It's not the Latakia, its the nicotine. Smoke slower, or if you find you have a really low tolerance for nic, eat a full meal before smoking!

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I refer you to the Sticky at the top of the Forum page....."Tobacco Basics". That will give you an idea of what to look for in low uptake of nicotine.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Nicotine is a natural constituent chemical of tobacco.

Nicotine is absorbed by the tissues in the mouth and sinuses.

Inhalation is not a prerequisite for nicotine to be absorbed into your body.

theray

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
Its most likely the nicotine. Keep a sugar packet on hand,when you start feeling nauseous; dip your finger in the sugar and place it under your tongue. Smoke slower and enjoy, its not a race...get one of those LFD Diggers for a challenge :oops:
Why doesnt my avatar show up on my postings?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Nicotine is a natural constituent chemical of tobacco.

Nicotine is absorbed by the tissues in the mouth and sinuses.

Inhalation is not a prerequisite for nicotine to be absorbed into your body.
When I had my gall bladder out a couple of years ago, I didn't smoke for several days. Boy, did I get a nic hit when I picked up my pipe again! And I don't inhale.

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
My first full bowl of Orlik flake did that. Unfortunately I was also drinking and thought that's what was doing it so I stopped drinking and kept smoking. It was definitely the nic doing it.

terry

Oct 7, 2011
Nicotine! some blends are stronger than other..read the sticky post about tobacco. :puffy:

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I have never tried that blend myself, but looking on the 'net I see it contains Burley and Perique which are both high in nicotine - especially Burley. As others have said above, the nicotine is absorbed through the lining of the mouth even if you don't inhale. You may want to look for more Virginia based blends as that has a lower nicotine content. See - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tobacco-basics-nicotine-amp-sugar-content-curing-methods

pipevilleworld

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2011
Got it! I've learned a lot. And yeah schmidtzbitz, but the Latakia causes the blend to taste so much more like... dirt, is the substance that comes to mind. And I'm so still in love with my aromatics; I have such a sweet tooth. I can't understand why anyone would love those blends. LOL.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I just ordered a pound of Epiphany cuz I love the stuff as a first bowl with strong coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.