PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nube

Lurker
Dec 1, 2013
New by about a week. Replacing cigarettes with my pipe and so far working well. Have tried MOLTO Doce, which has a great taste but almost no nicotine. Also have tried some other blends called quiet time and Carolina blend. Looking for a good flavor with a good hit of nicotine. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you need a big nicotine hit then Peterson Irish flake will do the trick. Something with a little less nicotine but still good flavor is Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. Both are flakes so you will need to read up on how to prepare and to smoke them.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
They say 72 hrs w/o nicotine and it's out of your system. The pipe will satisfy the oral fixation. My advise? Let the pipe become something enjoyed rather than needed. You'll be better off (IMHO). But, if nicotine is what you seek then go with Gawith&Hoggarth blends. They contain a pretty decent amount of the drug.Some of the GLP and C&D blends with Kentucky are fairly potent too.
Mike S.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
A lot of cig converts seem to do better with non-aromatics.
I second Harris's Peterson recommendation.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Get yourself a tin of Dunhill's Royal Yacht. Good tobacco flavor and good nic hit.
Idk about the nicotine part, because I never inhale, but unless it is packed just right and sipped slowly, it will bite like a crocodile and taste harsh (and foul by halfway down). It wouldn't be a blend I would recommend to a beginner coming off cigarettes, who is likely to over or under pack it and draw on it like a cigarette. In fact, any pipe tobacco is going to smoke wet, hot, bite and taste lousy if it's smoked like a cigarette.
Having never been a cigarette smoker I hesitate to give any advice to someone trying to get off them, but I can't really see the point of switching from a cigarette to a pipe if you're going to inhale it for the nicotine. Even a small pipe holds as much tobacco as several cigarettes, and you don't see all those butts lying in the ashtray, so you could end up smoking four times as much in the end, and taking on even more health risk. The decreased risk of pipe smoking is the result of not inhaling, and of taking little sips making a bowl last an hour or more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
nube, one of the benefits of going from a cigarette to a pipe is that you don't need to inhale. Some do, but most don't.

That's not really a pipe smoking thing. Likewise, nicotine is a sort of incidental. I think many of us somewhat enjoy it

when encountered, but not many want or expect it every day much less in every bowl. So to somewhat change your

smoking habit, I'd suggest you try small quantities of several different tobaccos. A good over-the-counter brand

like Prince Albert or Carter Hall bought in a pouch would give you a taste of that. Lane's 1-Q is mild and pleasant,

or a personal favorite, Lane's LL-7. I like Altadis aros "Queen Anne's Revenge" (that's the name of Blackbeard's flagship)

and Dark Obsession (which is really pretty mild, a little walnut flavor). I'd hold off a while on Five Brothers and Royal Yacht,

until you've changed over from a cigarette to a pipe smoker. Then you can do a jolt of nicotine as a dessert now and then,

but not always the main course.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I suggested 5 Brothers because I smoked a lot of nails before the pipe and that was the tobacco that have me the nic I needed to ween of the nails.

I still have a cig once in awhile when I cant enjoy a pipe and rarely is 5 brothers what I pack anymore. I just know it was what helped me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's some solid advice here. I would think hard about what BB said, because the answers to those questions can make a lot of difference in what you enjoy for tobaccos.
For example: I am a savory guy when it comes to food.and my favorite adult beverage is a good single malt. I can enjoy sweets, but (for example) I'll take bacon and eggs over waffles almost every time.

Likewise, when it comes to tobacco, sweet aromatics leave me cold. I want savory, smoky - and off I go to latakia blends most of the time.
Good luck and enjoy the journey.

nube

Lurker
Dec 1, 2013
Appreciate all the help and suggestions. Have not been inhaling but have been enjoying the relaxation of a good pipe. So far have only dabbled in the aromatics. But was wondering if there was a way to get the nicotine with out inhaling.
bb I like spicy over sweet food. Scotch drinker, and I do beer its an amber. Cigars yes and Monte cristo. Normally in the car or at the smoke pit at work is where I have been smoking. I can tell you this the old lady definitely likes the smell of my pipe better lol.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'd recommend you hit up some of the OTCs if you're needing a simple tasty smoke.
They're really no fuss blends that have stood the test of time.
http://www.4noggins.com/american-drug-store-blends.aspx
They're American Lagers in a room full of IPAs. Tasty, but simple.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Welcome to The Club nube,

I would give the Sutliff survey a shot, it was spot on for me

click the link and go to the "Want to find your Perfect Blend" and give it a shot
Sutliff

Status
Not open for further replies.