PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
I am five months a pipe smoker and I find myself attempting to define what pipe smoking is all about. Within minutes, reconsideration is required and my understanding is redefined.
Of course it’s about the physical joys of tobacco use. The nicotine buzz we experience. The physical act of smoking such as drawing smoke and the ensuing release. The billow of smoke and the patterns imagined. The perfect feel of a favorite piece in our hand or the comforting clench in its precise point. The hearty flavor of our favorite blends that may match our mood or time of the year to a tee. To appreciate the above and nothing else would be quite obtuse; missing so much.
The process must also be considered. Is it not the honing of an art? Storing and replenishing our favorite leaf. The discovery of a new one. The quest for the perfect pack and heat, the ideal sip-draw and exhale. Leaving your pipe to a point that it is on the verge of requiring a relight but saving it savoring the cool smoke. Oh and the joy of the relight! Sparking up a lighter of choice with the anticipation of continuing a great smoke or using a match in a precise method to leave that freshly lit match flavor out of the equation. Knowing what you are doing is rewarding.
Maybe its true definition and purpose is found hidden within the process? To appreciate all of the above, one is required to slow down and pick up on all the subtle nuances. We can all be so busy and, in true fashion to the relic of the past pipe smoking is, it requires a relatively simple time set aside for proper appreciation. A time for us to reflect and unwind. To be by ourselves and hear our own inner symphony. Ah…this sounds amazing. It could also come across as lonely. Smokers should never feel lonely.
This is where you all come in. Maybe now I’ve got it! Smoking is ‘bout the comradery. The peace pipe was always passed, never allowed to touch the ground until the last leaf was spent. Together we can enjoy the subtle nuances. Through the collective knowledge of the community we can gain mastery of the patient art that is pipe smoking. With this new found mastery the physical acts of smoking will be truly appreciated leaving us with richer flavor and grander appreciation for the entirety of the experience. The entirety of the experience….
This forum is a true virtue. Thank you to all the contributors and readers.
j/B

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Thank you so much posting this. I remember writing similar musings on USENET's alt.smokers.pipes newsgroup, when I was just starting out... gosh, about 15 years ago, now. Yikes.
Shoshin. Beginner's mind!

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Great post. I've always believed God put everything here for a purpose and pipes and cigars must be the reason for the tobacco leaf, put here for our enjoyment.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
The sitting on the porch, the unthinking ritual of 45 years in duration. The comfort of an old friend in the bowl, the smell in the breeze. A dog under hand, the gentle curve of a new find sitting lightly in the jaw. Friends of many years meeting at something we call a Show....really just an excuse to visit with them, more time spent in conversation then selling. The learning curve slowed down, the understanding of this component and the impact on a blend. The talking a pipe with the man who carved it, an old friend on a new journey in wood.

It is ingrained now, so deeply that it blunts the pain of the inevitable passings....the sitting on the porch, the unthinking ritual of 45 years in duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.