PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Not much to add to the thread subject... I've seen references to pipe mud a few times but I don't know what it is - a product you buy, a recipe you follow?
Thanks for any guidance!
Alan

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a filler cement for repairing pipe bowls inside, but I am also curious about it, and exactly what it is

made of, and how innocuous it is for smoking. I think it is mixed from a powder, but I've never used it.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Pipe ash mixed with a wee bit of water to get a paste. You can use fireplace ash but consistency comes out different. Used to fill burn holes or bottom of pipe to level it with the draft hole.
It hardens to a stone like state.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's useful to know, and the price is right. I'd stick with pipe ash.

Stuff gets burnt in the fireplace that you probably don't want to smoke

in your pipe.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
There are several video's on YouTube about Pipe Mud and how to make it. You can also buy some at Aristocob.com. The owner Scott, makes it to use in corn cob pipes that don't have the hard wood plug in the bottom of the cob.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 Soy

Cigar ash seems to be the favored ash to use, as it works well and is very plentiful and easy to capture off a cigar.
There was a very long thread on pipe mud where there was some experimentation done. I'll try to find it. Interesting read.
Edit: Found it
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-mud-and-pipe-cement-warning-giant-post#post-168571
It's been a while since I've read through the thread, so I'm not sure if there was an agreed upon conclusion. Mostly speculation and personal testimonials I'm guessing. But more information for you to soak up and think on.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I've made pipe mud out of the purest white ash from my wood stove mixed with spit for my Missouri meerschaum General to pull the bottom up to the draft hole after I ground out the protruding stummel going into the bowl. The mud gets real hard and when i tap out the bowl on a cork knocker it stays put. Then i carefully scrape out the bowl if needed and does not chip out.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I wonder what would happen should you heat up some honey or maple syrup and then mix in some ash to it...
I think I'm gonna try that in one of my cobs.
This may sound a little pansy but I don't like the idea of spitting into my pipe lol.

adam2

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
It is my experience that cigar ash, from a good quality cigar, mixed with spit makes the best pipe mud.

Spartan, lol. But, we all are getting spittle to some degree in our bowls. That is just the way of things.
But, I think the reason spit is preferred is the acidity that turns the ash to a binder. Water might work initially, but would it be as strong?
I have been using a drop of honey, to spoon-full of ash, and spit to consistency for a while now. I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but I has worked for me, and I have one pipe that will have held up with it for over a year.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I've always used cigar ash and water, but I've used honey when I'm trying to circumvent a burnout, because the mud sticks a little better. When the honey is exposed to heat, it carbons up quickly, but I never use honey for leveling out the bottom of a cob.
Russ

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Spartan,lol. I really like the honey and maple idea , maybe a little pancake batter.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Hey I'm not going to knock it until I've tried it.
A little CH with some honey sounds delish. :puffy:
My cobs don't even need the bottoms leveled out yet though. I've have not completely burned through the little wood extension at the bottom yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.