PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I have been looking at Wessex Golden Virginia flake - which is marketed as "Navy Cut" What is Navy cut and what are the origins? Is it dissimilar to Navy flake?

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
The origins I believe are the Navy Plug: This name was given because sailors would fill a long canvas tube with tobacco (or tightly wrap rope around tobacco) and sometimes add flavourings like rum, fruits and spices. Then the tube was twisted tight, mimicking the pressing process. This technique created a dense roll of tobacco about an inch thick which could be cut into smaller pieces or coins. In essence the navy plug is the same as a roll-cake.

Navy Cut is the slices you get when cutting up the plug. You can cut it up in all different shapes and sizes. Coins and slices being examples.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I believe Navy Cut and Navy Flake are one in the same- tobacco pressed under pressure into cakes, then sliced into "flakes". Traditionally, they contained rum, though I'm not sure that translates to modern Navy Flakes, though many still do.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Good explanation on the origins of the term there by easygoer, this is how I understand the term, as well.
However, I've noticed that the term is quite freely by tobacco companies. Some blends are flakes, some are navy cut, even thought the cut is exactly the same. Hell, even many cigarettes (Player's, Capstan...) are/were "navy cut". I wonder what's the idea behind that? Were the ciggies made of the same tobaccos than Navy Cut pipe tobaccos, or were they actually cut from flakes (sounds expensive)?
What about "Navy Flake" then? Quite a bit of variation between them, as well -- some have rum topping, some not. One has latakia, some have perique, some have burley. Another term from the marketing department, methinks.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Navy Flake used to mean Rum in the tobacco, but some manufacturers take liberties with the appellation to point the name has become meaningless.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Good question, unfortunately it's hard to answer with any specificity.

But, it does bring to mind one of my favorite "tobacco" related videos....

This is the primary method for preserving tobacco for long voyages. (That's the story, any way.)

It's probably true, and this is probably where "Navy Rolls" have their roots.

The term Perique is a derivation from the French language/slang for a part of the male anatomy.

Thus the term/expletive "Pr*ck".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sqhu11WjC4

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
james, the Wessex Gold Virginia is a nice tasting flake no matter what they call it. From what I see in my own cellar, Navy Flake and Navy Cut and Cut Plug seem to refer to either a rum topped flake or a rectangular flake that is very exacting in it's dimensions. For example the Wessex Gold is a flat rectangular flake and all of the ones in the tin are the exact same size. The Rotary Navy Cut is the same sized shape as the Wessex, and it is topped with rum. Dunhill Flake is the same size as both of the ones I just mentioned as is Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, which is called a plug but is the same as the others shape wise. It is pretty confusing if you ask me. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.