What is meant by "Group 3" or "Group 4" etc?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Have noticed some writers refer to a pipe as a "group 3 pipe" or a "group 4 pipe" or what have.
From context, this means to have to do with size.
Can someone advise and point me to a reference or standard?
Thanks. (Always seems to be an answer lurking hereabouts.)

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
It's the Dunhill size standard, 1-6, higher is larger. I suppose 3 should be pretty average/normal. :)
edit: lookie what I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAuSkYeNIMc

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
This reminded me of the post someone was asking how many bowls per tin (I can’t find the post now). I bet one could get at least twice as many bowls per tin from a group 2 pipe than a group 6. :lol:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Good question, one I've seen asked several times on several forums.
A question that I have as yet to see an answer that makes any kind of definitive sense!
In the preceding video we are told that a group size "generally" refers to the bowls capacity.

From there our presenter immediately shows examples based on the overall size of the pipe, but neglects to tie the examples to bowl chamber specs.
For myself, I'd really like to see a table or matrix that gave the range of chamber dimensions, as well as overall measurements, that each group represents.
This the answer I've yet to see.
Good question.

Reactions: Gabby Hayes

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
As I don't deal with Dunhill pies enough to make it worthwhile to dig the information out I have never bothered.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
You arent likely to see a chart since the sizing is a Dunhill company standard and subject to the grading individual at the time of stamping. Actually, a group 4 for would be considered average with group 3's, 4's and 5's being the most common sizes produces. Group 1's and 2's are actually rare give their diminutive size. The vast majority of their collectibles, from what I've seen are group 5's. Once you are familiar it's a nice system and a number of sales sites use it as a reference with other manufacturers.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
But how does one become familiar with vagaries for responses rather than specifics?
smokingpipes for an example is the only site I've come across that gives actual dimensions for every pipe. When I see a pipe referenced as a Group whatever, that tells me nothing.
Average chamber size of each group designation is......?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
But how does one become familiar with vagaries for responses rather than specifics?
Simple, it's just a time and exposure thing. Study enough Dunhill's and you become familiar with the roughly standard sizing (and then get to enjoy the irony of the occasional mis-sized pipe). Generally speaking, a group 6 will be about 6+ inches long and 2+ inches high. ODA's are about the same.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Lol. Welcome to the world of pipe grading! Now go try and figure out Castellos and Upshalls. I think early Upshalls grading was done over shots of whiskey since there seemed to be no rhyme or reason behind it.

Reactions: Gabby Hayes

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Late post, for benefit of new searchers, though, I'll post this from a Dunhill retailer site:
SIZES:

The bowls are sorted into 6 groups.
Group 1 Small

Group 2 Medium

Group 3 Medium

Group 4 Medium to Large

Group 5 Large

Group 6 Extra large

Status
Not open for further replies.