PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
Hi, I'm looking for a good tobacco cutting knife. I can't cut plugs very well at all it's very annoying but I'm just using knives from my kitchen. It's hard for me to get the knife to go straight down, it always goes out to the side.
It's just annoying and time consuming :( I assume it's because I'm not using a proper knife, so I'm here for some knife buying tips if anyone has any.
Thanks

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I really like these Opinel carbon knives. Pretty inexpensive too!

20170521_155106_zps0dfld31d.jpg

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
I use an extra-large cigar cutter.
If you can get them to a smaller size with any knife you can just fit it through a cutter, works like a charm.
randelli

Unless they are dispoable, they seem very affordable to me.

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
I like the idea of using a large cigar cutter, I don't seem to be able to find any though, they all seem to be the regular size. Fortunately amazon has one of those Opinel carbon knives for a tenner :)

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
The opinel is a great knife with a thin blade that really holds a good edge. I would not consider them to be disposable. Here is some more info: https://www.opinel.com/en/pocket-knives-and-tools

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I really like folding knives and also suffer from blade acquisition disorder. Thanks randelli, I just ordered one. To be fair, they aren't expensive and I've been thinking about getting one for a while - I just didn't have a use for it in my stable. But now I do!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second the motion for the French made knives with carbon steel blades. They sharpen up especially well. They discolor, but people who know knives do not find that a bad thing. Many chefs will use nothing else, for the same reason.

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
astralogic
I use this one https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/80-ring-guillotine-cutter-cutters/1496815/
Can't say it's ultra-large, it's probably half a diameter of a 1.75 oz dunhill tin.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Astrologic, I suspect your problem is a dull blade. Just about any knife will cut a plug if you have a good sharp edge. Plugs especially, need a very keen edge as dullness causes blade deflection.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One more idea: Don't forget to slice with the knife, rather than just pushing it through the plug, flake, cake.

And third, fourth: sharp blade!

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I have a part time business as a bladesmith, so I really just use my own knives, but imo, very little can match a genuine ulu for cutting tobacco, I've made a few, but my favorite was made by a hundred year old elder who cut rope tobacco to make Iqmik.

Status
Not open for further replies.