PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juan649

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
Hi I'm new in the forums. I suppose this is the right place for make that question. What I can do with my tobacco?
I have 5 ounces of Tobacco. But the tobacco is the dis-hydrate. Yesterday I place in a little bowl some Vodka half ounce of tobacco mixed and the other half of the ounce. I place the tobacco in a porcelain big plate and cover it with a dry paper towel.
After 9 hours the tobacco was fully hydrated and not just that. It have an incredible soft aroma and very ease to smoke.
Now my question is the fallowing. I have 3 ounces of non hydrated cherry Tobacco. I want take out the cherry flavor. Can I wash the tobacco, put it to dry (it will become hydrated again) and repeat the process similar to how I did with vodka but in this case with wine. I just want take out the cherry flavor.
Thanks in advance.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'll tell you what to do with that cherry stuff ... :mrgreen:
Seriously ... just get some new tobacco. It's not like your trying to save the last of an extinct blend.
Welcome to the forum! :puffy:

Do you want to remove and keep the cherry flavor, or just remove and clean the tobacco of the cherry flavor. Or, separate the two as two entities?
As for washing the tobacco of flavors, put the tobacco in a colander covered in cheese cloth. Then, cover the tobacco with cheese cloth. Put in the dishwasher, but do not use soap. That would be silly. Run the tobacco on "pots and pan" mode. Rinse out the dishwasher yourself before your wife sees the mess, and buy new tobacco that doesn't have cherry flavors.
I hope that helps. Best of luck.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome to the forum.
Since you're adventurous and had success with your first batch, I'd so go for it and let us know the results.
Good luck!

juan649

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
Hello
Well, thanks for the answers. My goal is remove the cherry flavor from the tobacco and prepare it for give a new flavor based on Porto wine.
What I don't know is if I must wash the tobacco first, carefully and don't lose so much of his nicotine. And let it dry again.

juan649

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
I will try wash half of an ounce first. Mix it with the other half and wait until it become hydrated and soft. Wait one week and Re-hydrated the tobacco with the wine. Maybe a less cherry flavor don't will affect the flavor of the wine. Porto wine is sweet and strong. Like 20% of alcohol.
I cant find plain tobacco anywhere.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
the problem is not washing but drying I guess. If the tobacco is topped with the cherry flavor it would be easy to remove the taste but if it is seasoned then very little chance. For drying you may use an oven. I have never tested anything like that, just saying what I heard from other people. There is a guy I know who washes the tobacco and then dries it in the oven before using it.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
:crying:Dry it out, take it to your local liquor store. Ask Larry....There is always a Larry at the liquor store, Ask Larry if he has a $100 bottle of Absinthe. If Larrys got it, buy it take it home....now hopefully you left the tobacco at the liquor store because you are completely engrossed in this amazing bottle of Absinthe. Filled a carafe with ice and then pour an ounce of Absinthe in a wine glass. Then proceed to slowly drizzle the ice water over the Absinthe causing the liquor to transform from a peridot green to opalescent. Now log on to your favorite tobacco seller on the computer, tablet, etc. and order some GLPease or Cornell and Diehl tobaccos. In the mean time enjoy some time in Belle Époque.

juan649

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
Hello guys. Thanks for the humor. I know is a bit odd idea take out the flavor of tobacco. I'm planing buy Smokin' G Pipe Tobacco 8 oz Golden Blend in few days. For what I read is the best of the G pipe Tobacco series on Smokers outlet online https://www.smokersoutletonline.com
The bag have 8 ounces, this is a lot of tobacco at a very good price. If I want imbue with tequila, Vodka or another alcoholic beverages now I know the procedure.
I'm also planing buy six ounces of this blend BURLEY ENGLISH at http://www.racineandlaramie.com/ in the future.
Those tobaccos seems to be excellent choices for make a alcoholic beverages blend. Cherry flavor is just not appropriate.
The BURLEY ENGLISH is an excellent tobacco I don't think it will be necessary give another blend but since are 6 ounces I think take only one for the experiment don't will be a bad idea.
About the plain tobacco this will be good idea. I'm from Puerto Rico. I made a research in local retailers and web with out success.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Being in Puerto Rico you are domestic shipping through the post office. I would think (but am prepared to be wrong) that any of the US etailers would ship to you no problem. Try tobaccopipes.com. They're located in Florida so I would imagine they'll have the least delay.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
foolwiththefez thanks for the shout out.
juan649 We do sell tobaccos specifically for blending. Those might work better for what you're trying to do. Or, if you're just after a port blend, something like Comoy's Cask No. 2 might be up your alley?
Good luck! :)

juan649

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
Thanks reniaeats. The Comoy's Cask No. 2 have good reviews but I don't like the Chocolate and Vanilla. What I will do is use a spray bottle and add the liquor or spirit in a coffee can and sealed with his own plastic lid.
I have many choices but not sure what use. I'm thinking in Porto whine or Absinthe Essence with Vodka or Gin. Recent studies revealed Absinthe is not hallucinogenic or addictive like the popular opinion say in almost all 20 century. Absinthe is back after a century. Maybe taste a bit bad but due his spice may be different in tobacco.
I'm honest, I really want buy plain tobacco. I will ask tomorrow by phone on Smokers outlet if they have.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/absinthe.htm

juan649

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
Hello
After tree weeks I'm posting again in the same tread. At last I found "plain" tobacco. Virginia tobacco. Is very good and can be used for make personal blends. I found useful use a crystal pot like Cheese Wiz or Tostitos glass container for prepare the tobacco. Just add 1 or 2 CC from a insulin syringe with out the needle and shake the sealed pot and wait few hours. The best I try until now is Licor 43 and Johnnie Walker Black Label.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Kind of interesting. I had some not very flavorful aro tobacco that I sprinkled liberally with Myers Dark Rum and Vanilla Extract (it was WET), put in a metal Escudo tin, and left it on a hot plate set very low for 12 hours, to both dry it and volatize the alcohol. It wasn't half bad. The other thing you might want to experiment with is cooking out the alcohol by making a reduction in a saucepan, of course being very careful, as the spirits, and Port will flame over heat very easily. Making this kind of reduction is always the first step in making classical sauces when cooking.

juan649

Lurker
Oct 5, 2015
Well today I have the experience of taste this tobacco. I buy a bag of 8oz. of pure Virginia. I place about half oz. in the Cristal pot, spray 2 cc of liquor 43 and at the morning add a bit more of Virginia. Shake very well. The result was very different than the natural Virginia tobacco. I enjoy it all the day.
Next week I will try Admiral's Choice Black & Gold Cavendish. Maybe is a huge difference in flavor, or maybe somehow similar.
I dangerous to health smoke tobacco with alcoholic liquors. Just a casual experiment.
https://youtu.be/8kvNImBxi14

Status
Not open for further replies.