PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Here it is, all I managed to bring from my cellar, when I moved to the US. The rest I either sent to my brother-in-law, a recent pipe smoker, or stored safely in the attic, back in Europe.
Now, to build a new cellar here :)
gpLxxya.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
1st off welcome to the USA. That's one heck of a beginning to a new cellar. Would of liked to have seen what you left behind. Curious though why did you have to leave it behind? Let me guess Uncle Sam!

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Hey if you want to get rid of the squadron leader limited edition let me know. Maybe we can make a trade.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Scrooge: thanks!
I took some pictures of what I left there, so I could write it down later: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/nge8xrcy22np0fn/AADMoDzvYAKPRb4akNCt9Xt3a
And I left all of that behind because I couldn't get a very clear answer to how much pipe tobacco I could bring with me, only that I could bring "some". And also I was trying to pack as light as possible, and all those tins take up space :)

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
billkay: it's in the Netherlands, it doesn't get warm ;)
Seriously though: it's quite cool and dry there, all year around. And I don't have a basement (and I rented the flat out, so I also couldn't leave it in the house), so there wasn't much of a choice, really...

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
tarheel1: that's the only tin I have here (I have another one in my attic in Amsterdam ;)), and I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not really looking to sell or trade it for now. I'll keep you posted, though. Have you already tried it and want more, or are you just curious to see what it tastes like?

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I have tried it and want more. Too bad its not made any longer.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Indeed... I'm very curious about it, and only managed to find a couple of tins just before moving here.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Echie! Buddy! I'm your new best friend! Really, I am!
Welcome to Amerka! Now you can get all the Pease you want with no issues!
Love those mini Dunhills, they're so cute!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
While I'm sure you did your homework before the move, I wonder at your decisions as to what blends you decided to import.

Knowing that you now have access to a bunch of new tobacco here in the States, and that there is great interest in some not necessarily precious, but hard to get blends we don't have here, I wonder.

I'm thinking that if all you'd brought were paper wrapped packages of Condor, for instance, you could trade your way to a pretty nice cellar.

Note to all pipers who are moving to the US from across the pond.

We like to try the blends from over there that aren't available here.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Welcome to the USA! Great starting cellar, that's for sure! That Douwe Egberts Dukaat looks intriguing. What kind of blend is it?
Smart to keep most of the other blends in Amsterdam--most of the tobaccos in your photos (McClelland, H&H, etc) are easily obtained in the US for much cheaper than you pay in Europe--free shipping too!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yea, build the wall, build the wall. Who's gonna play Snake Plisken?
Peck they need to think about building a wall around the FDA first.
Welcome to America!

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
ericusrex: wow, people are *very* friendly around here! Well, I'm not one to refuse a friendship :puffy:
Thanks for the welcome! I was really looking forward to easy access to Pease blends. I'm actually planning to get all of the SF-themed and smoke them on location. Perhaps even blog it :)
I ran into those mini tins in an antique shop in Amsterdam! Pricey, but SO CUTE!

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Excellent selection you've brought with you. I move to the US in less than two weeks myself and I'm only flying with 4 tins :( I did buy up a small hoard of various HU blends which are on their way now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks like a good stash and a good start. You can get plenty of GLP blends while you're here, and much else. Love your Amsterdam. Dogs everywhere, on the streetcar, in the doctor's office, in every shop and bar. All the bicyclists. Street performers in many of the squares. The canals. The cheese and herring (during season). I miss it and only visited. Hope you enjoy your stay here. My brother-in-law just got his U.S. citizenship, after years in the U.S. -- so he has dual citizenship now. He grew up in Rotterdam. So many Dutch can speak multiple languages; I do admire it. He has command of five or six and conversational skills in several others.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
newbroom: I actually considered bringing some Condor, but I had limited luggage space, and chose to bring a selection of pipe tobacco that would mostly be hard to find in the US, *and* that I'd been waiting to try. Therefore the Germain's. The Esoterica, I'd bought not long before moving, haven't tried yet, and naturally brought over. The Troost not only are Dutch, but there are very old tins I got on King's Day (2 days before moving). Some I brought with the additional intention of taking pictures for Pipe Notebook. And so on :)
I brought some extra Brown Flake considering I could trade, and I don't even necessarily expect to keep all of that Penzance and Peacehaven to myself (depends on how I like it). But I brought this small stash basically thinking of my own consumption.
*However* :) yours is a fair point, and I'll keep it in mind next time I'm over there. Besides Condor and Germain's (which I understand is also hard to find here, and sought after), what do you think are "must bring" tobaccos?

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
pipefish: Thanks! About the Douwe Egberts: I've no idea :) I came across this on King's Day (the Dutch national day, when everyone goes to the streets to sell their old stuff, like a national garage sale), along with those 2 Troost tins (and the 2 large Sail tins that I left behind).
Looking forward to trying it :)

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
peckinpahhombre: true. Though I might end up having to pay for it :?
gtrhtr: any reason for the limit? Luggage space?
mso489: you're making me miss Amsterdam already! It is a nice city (and so is Rotterdam, by the way). Congratulations to your brother on his citizenship :)

Status
Not open for further replies.